Allotments

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
tedebear said:
I've got French Dwarf Beans - maybe if I feed them all my home made wormery juice - they'll beat someones runner beans :lol: :lolol:

Probably mine:down:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
What a vague petition. Which churches and councils are doing this? Two of the allotment areas here will be allotments for 100 years I believe it is. Something to do with the zoning of the land. I do know that the ones behind my mother in law in Durrington are some sort of freehold as the allotment owners outvoted the removal of an electricity pylon (which stands in my mother in laws garden) as the cable which runs under their allotments would be dug up, and thus their allotments, even though this plan was offered in winter and the allotments would all be resoiled and put back to as was. However several of the allotment owners have protested against the pylon due to its "buzz" !! Bizarre.....

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
tedebear said:
Odd question - but when you have an allotment how do you water it? This has been puzzling me for ages - do you have a really really long hose from home? :blush:

There are water tanks that are connected to the water mains so it drains rainwater but when there is not enough it gives you tap water instead. Luckily our plot is only 1 along from the tank so we can use a hosepipe :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Ahhhhhh - I see - thanks! I was completely puzzled!! I imagined you traipsing back and forth from home with a watering can!!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
if anyone wants a large (and i mean large, 12 foot long!!!) greenhouse, pm me.
we have one already although not this big so offering it out.
its free to collect and comes with all staging etc.
needs to be dismantled first but thats easy to do.
apparently, just 2 panes of glass missing so real bargain.

if anyone is interested, please pm me and i will provide address and telephone number.

the greenhouse is in the patcham area of brighton.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
We added some nettles to our water butt a few days ago and boy does that stuff stink when you put it on the plants. We also had to pull up all of our onion as it has started to bulb and our chinese cabbage has started flowering as it has been too dry grrrrr

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
tedebear said:
Odd question - but when you have an allotment how do you water it? This has been puzzling me for ages - do you have a really really long hose from home? :blush:

I pump water from the local stream to water mine, its a scientific marvel !!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have 3 large oil drums on the side of my allotment which the previous person used for rubbish. I intend to empty them into bags and take them to the tip and just keep 1 for rubbish any suggestions of what I could grow in the other 2.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
I have 3 large oil drums on the side of my allotment which the previous person used for rubbish. I intend to empty them into bags and take them to the tip and just keep 1 for rubbish any suggestions of what I could grow in the other 2.
Almost anything BG. You can grow Potatoes in them like we have done with tyres or Carrots to avoid the dreaded carrot fly. they only fly up to about 30 cm I believe so you can cut the drums down and use them for sets of lovely carrot. Either that or some flowers to attract bees to help pollenate your beans etc or you can grow herb or lettuce leaf in them. Fill the bottom 3/4 or so with olr grass etc which will rot down and then a bag of compost and hey presto you have your very own little herb garden or salad leaf bins :) Do not waste them by taking them to the tip mate.
You can always tidy them up by purchasing some bamboo or something like that to wrap around them to make them look nicer. Oh you can also grow tomato in them as you can get some varieties that grow in bushes or you can grow strawberry as it will be like growing them in a hanging basket.
i hope this has given you a few ideas BG :)

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I think there are going to be some very happy plants out there today :)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Someone told me that the best way to keep carrot fly off your plants is to have a row of marigolds mixed in with them, have a tray of them coming on nicely in the greenhouse, ready to plant out when the carrots come through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports