Allotments

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I have a couple of questions for the farmers of NSC.

1) I'm growing tomatoes and chilli peppers in my garden. Do the bear fruit year after year or do I have to start again from seed each year?

2) If I want to grow more plants from seed is it as simple as removing the seeds from a couple of the chillies, keeping them until next year and then sowing them as I've only ever sown seeds that I've bought?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Rangdo said:

1) I'm growing tomatoes and chilli peppers in my garden. Do the bear fruit year after year or do I have to start again from seed each year?

2) If I want to grow more plants from seed is it as simple as removing the seeds from a couple of the chillies, keeping them until next year and then sowing them as I've only ever sown seeds that I've bought?

MMMM they are tough questions as I am only a new gardener myself having only started last september. I know you can plant chilli and tomato seed from your plants you grow but you must dry them out first and the seal or store in a pitch black cool place I believe.
Tomatoe I believe you have to replant every year as I think it is only Brassica's and fruit that are year after year crops mate.
Hope this kind of helps :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Rangdo said:

chillis & tomatoes are annuals.

strawberries are perrenials and good for 5-6 years.
we also have a purple broccoli which is a perennial but as a rule, most veg is an annual.

i think most berries are perennials too

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
moggy said:
strawberries are perrenials and good for 5-6 years.

We planted strawberries in an unkempt corner about 12 years ago and left them to get on with it. We now get wild strawberries everywhere, but occasionally (including last summer) one or two of the original plants still bears real fruit.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Trufflehound said:
We planted strawberries in an unkempt corner about 12 years ago and left them to get on with it. We now get wild strawberries everywhere, but occasionally (including last summer) one or two of the original plants still bears real fruit.

thats good.
i only said 5-6 years cause i was told that by an rhs qualified gardener.
my strawberry plants in the back garden were planted last year and had lots of fruit and many runners forming new plants.
they're already in flower now so maybe a nice crop of earlies.

the 30 plants we have down the allotment were only planted last month so barely established.
will be a late crop for those.

what are the wild strawberries like?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
moggy said:
what are the wild strawberries like?

The fruit are generally much smaller, spherical berries. Still taste the same though...

But you have to get in quick because blackbirds love 'em and will scoff anything that's ripe.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
sounds really nice.

gonna be making lots of summer-fruit puddings this year.

i'd like to try making a few jams. never tried it but would be nice to try.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Just picked up a nice cranberry plant to add to the collection :)
Going to be busy tomorrow building things down the allotment I think :)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We've not had much luck with fruit to be honest, we get enough to eat but never the kilo or so needed to make jam. Unless you sit there with your swat, some bird, bug or animal will be after your juiciest pickings before you can....even with CD's hanging or a scarecrow the blackbirds are far to clever...

We've got strawberries, raspberries (only first year), pear (again first year) and a grape vine in production.

Last year we had enough tomatoes for the whole street, pus enough for making sauce and pickling. The year before was and overload of zuchinni (courgettes) so I wonder whats going to have a good year this year??

No gardening today - I have a stinking, horrible yucky head cold and am feeling very sad and sorry for myself :down: :blush:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
This is what I have been working on today. I have a tiny patch in the back garden where I am groing Rhubarb, Lettuce, Broad Bean, NSC 2007 Runner Bean prize winners ;) Tomatoes and Chinese Cabbage.
tinybackgardenplot.jpg

This just shows that whatever size your garden you can still grow a few plants :)

D

Deleted member 2719

Just been given some Summer Raspberries to put in do they stand any chance of croping or even surviving this year?

They are cooling there feet in a nice bucket of water at the moment.

:)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mouldy Boots said:
Just been given some Summer Raspberries to put in do they stand any chance of croping or even surviving this year?

They are cooling there feet in a nice bucket of water at the moment.

We have planted 12 canes and only one has not started flourishing so they should be fine. Plenty of water is the order of the day for them but should be fine mate :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife and I are disagreeing, not unusual, I say that you can put any food waste virtually, cooked or raw onto a compost heap she says It should only be uncooked i.e potato and carrotts peelings. I say that any scrapings off of the plate etc can be used but her argument is that my way will encourage rats into the compost

Who is right?

D

Deleted member 2719

B.M.F said:
We have planted 12 canes and only one has not started flourishing so they should be fine. Plenty of water is the order of the day for them but should be fine mate :)

Thanks for that Good news then, i have had an old boy say chop them down cos they will become baron this year but i have resisted so far, plenty of water it is then.

There's raspberries there, there's raspberries there, raspberries there.

:clap2: :clap2:

D

Deleted member 2719

BensGrandad said:
Wife and I are disagreeing, not unusual, I say that you can put any food waste virtually, cooked or raw onto a compost heap she says It should only be uncooked i.e potato and carrotts peelings. I say that any scrapings off of the plate etc can be used but her argument is that my way will encourage rats into the compost

Who is right?

I would say never put any food on to a compost as rats don't seem to fussy.

I hate rats.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:

Who is right?

She is right. you may get rats or mice anyway but once food is cooked you have taken all the nutrients out anyway so does not make for good compost.
I have not forgotten to get you the number either BG just forgot to pick up a card from my plot yesterday when I was down there.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mouldy Boots said:
Thanks for that Good news then, i have had an old boy say chop them down cos they will become baron this year but i have resisted so far, plenty of water it is then.

There's raspberries there, there's raspberries there, raspberries there.

:clap2: :clap2:

Is it just the stems you have or do they have shoots etc from last year because all of mine that I got had beencut down to just the stems?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:

Who is right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/module7/making_your_own_compost1.shtml

Bottom of the page.... :)

D

Deleted member 2719

B.M.F said:
Is it just the stems you have or do they have shoots etc from last year because all of mine that I got had beencut down to just the stems?

Yes, i have got shoots and berries forming.

Just been out to water them and they are holding there own so far i am going to dose them up with a high pot ash fertiliser.

Whats my chance of supplying robertson Jam?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
BensGrandad said:

Who is right?

there are composters on west sussex council site that will compost most stuff.
one called green cone which apparently will take ALL food wastes including meat, bones and dairy products.
this particular bin says no green waste though.

you can buy the large compost bin with a free kitchen caddy including delivery for £9 if ordered online.
this is the normal bin for composting.

http://www.recyclenow.com/compost/

BARGAIN :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports