Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Bry Nylon said:
When I've got a few days off work in the summer, I love getting out and doing a bit of this :clap:

chnn0.jpg

you could do some great crop circles with that monster :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
moggy said:
you could do some great crop circles with that monster :lolol:

True :lolol:

Although circles really aren't the order of the day, and the farmer might have something to say about it .... :shrug:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
moggy said:
i'm sure if you ask B.M.F. to post some photos, he'll oblige tomorrow when hes taken some.

i think the thread was started to find out how many other people on here are either growing fruit and veg or thinking about it whether at home in their gardens or an allotment and to share ideas for organic growing.

some good ideas like that plant i cant think of right now you can grow next to cabbages so the cabbage white butterfly gets attracted to that and lays its eggs rather than the cabbages.

Absolutely! I am hoping we can give up or box delivery this year and have enough veggies and some fruit from our garden to get by. Certainly have planted and plan to plat more than enough to do so, all depends on my children and husband rampaging around and destroying all my good work though.

Got some pea shingle coming tomorrow so I can have good drainage for the asparagus, I think that was our problem last year. The soil here is quite heavy and full of clay and I think they drowned!

I treated myself to a small heated cover at the end of last year and have planted aubergine today and some celeriac that will go outside in a few months.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I want to plant a Victoria Plum on a fence at the bottom of my garden, have already removed a trailing plant that was taking the place over and had spread to the roof of the shed. Only problem is that it had grown over the top of the fence and into the neighbours garden, hope they don't miss it when it doesn't start to grow in spring.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I hope the forst has not caught anyone out this morning. I did warn you all yesterday :wave:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Starry said:
I treated myself to a small heated cover at the end of last year and have planted aubergine today and some celeriac that will go outside in a few months.

Celeriac is the last thing I'd plant. It seems to turn up in my Riverford box every week. Life without celeriac would be bliss!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Starry said:
If you boys are going to natter on about this like you are we need a photo diary or your greenhouse, manure section and raised beds and it'll be just like being there.

Hell, we need a WEBCAM :clap2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Allotments are clearly the way forward then. Good for your health and your stress levels.

Its also somewhere to hide, when you've stolen the Christmas Club money.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
we now have a garden but not much room for planting. Maybe grow bags?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Bozza said:
Celeriac is the last thing I'd plant. It seems to turn up in my Riverford box every week. Life without celeriac would be bliss!

We get that too!! All our celeriac has either gone moudly or been fed to the worms...Not our cup of tea - although we've just sent Riverford a message to request we don't receive it, so I'll see what they say....

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Nibble said:
we now have a garden but not much room for planting. Maybe grow bags?

There is loads you can grow in pots and growbags, even potatos will grow in dustbins (specially modified)!!

Do you eat lots of salad in summer? Tomatos, capsicums, lettuces, beans (to name a few) are great for pots or growbags.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
tedebear said:
There is loads you can grow in pots and growbags, even potatos will grow in dustbins (specially modified)!!

Do you eat lots of salad in summer? Tomatos, capsicums, lettuces, beans (to name a few) are great for pots or growbags.

Like a nice chunky salad with the BBQ, may pay a visit to garden centre next week, Cheers

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have got no excuse for not growing veg. Our house is in the corner of a field which is just over half an acre. I'm not sure how good the soil is though and water tends take a while to soak away.

There are the obvious benefits of growing your own but I'm yet to be convinced that the work involved and the success levels outweigh buying it from the supermarkets.

I have planted 11 fruit trees and four fruit bushes though.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Nibble said:
Like a nice chunky salad with the BBQ, may pay a visit to garden centre next week, Cheers

Only go there if you want to pay top dollar. The pound shop or asda will have everything you need :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Starry said:

starry, the soil down southwick way is very clay based.
however, last year in my back garden i grew 2 varieties of aubergine with great success.
i also had chilli plants and peppers growing so these type of veg that would have been nigh on impossible a few years to grow can be done with not too much fuss now.

Rig up as many water butts as possible

Use a dustbin to plant an apple tree over your plot

Grow miners leaf for a good winter salad crop

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Tom Hark said:
Hell, we need a WEBCAM :clap2:
Would ove to set one up for you mate but photo's will have to suffice. I can tell you that spring is on its way as our tadpoles have hatched, Butterflies are around and I saw a lizard yesterday so roll on the summer :)
I will take some pics when I have dug in the other 1.5 tonnes of compost / top soil :) The person who supplies us has given us really good stuff so if anyone needs any I have his number so just pm me :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Starry, I will take some pictures for you today as I have finished panting the rockery and the topsoil etc should be all done today :)

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Thanks! My veggie patch and our garden is the only 'hobby' I can keep up with these days, it works well because the kids can help out.

My rockery is currently looking like an overgrown pile of weeds and stones :( I want to rip it all out and start over again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here