Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Heres wikipedias explanation (bit lengthy but good):

Bolting is the growth of an elongated stalk with flowers grown from within the main stem of a plant. This condition occurs in plants that are grown for their leaves, such as cabbage, lettuce, spinach, and other leafy greens.

Bolting can also apply to some of the brassicas that are grown for their flowers (such as broccoli and cauliflower) that send up flowering stalks too early, producing heads that are smaller than desired because the plant has not matured sufficiently to create a good sized crop.

Bolting normally appears in hot weather and is an attempt by the plant to procreate as the elongated stalk contains flowers which are full of pollen and/or seeds. Bolting is usually promoted by the plant being exposed to extremely cold temperatures early in its life although the condition will not manifest itself until air temperature increases. Because it gives the plant a bitter taste, bolting is considered undesirable by commercial growers although there are people who prefer the bitter taste provided by the process.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
maffew said:
good stuff mate, where is your allotment, in Brighton?

It is in Southwick mate.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I had some miniature toms last year that were grown by my next door neighbour, they tasted far better than anything I have ever bought from a supermarket...I reckon that the satisfaction of having grown something yourself must add at least 10% to the flavour.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This thread got me thinking about an allotment again, as I had one at 2 of my previous pubs but it appears that a vacant plot is about as rare as rocking horse shit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
tedebear said:
It means that it sprouts a flower and/or produces seed, making the leaves which we like to eat tart and inedible! Loads of things do this, its natures way of reproducing. Some plants (coriander for one) do it quicker than others....

Ah, right. Cheers :thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
hey, B.M.F.

even the melon seeds have sprouted in the greenhouse i noticed today.

coriander is tough to grow, grew it last year and bolted around 2 months.
best to grow in pots and reseed every 2 weeks so to have continuous herbs.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
hey, B.M.F.

even the melon seeds have sprouted in the greenhouse i noticed today.

coriander is tough to grow, grew it last year and bolted around 2 months.
best to grow in pots and reseed every 2 weeks so to have continuous herbs.

Marvellous matey :)
SO what have you done down there then mate so I know what I have to fix in the morning:p :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
Marvellous matey :)
SO what have you done down there then mate so I know what I have to fix in the morning:p :lolol:

rearranged the rockery round the pond :lolol:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
rearranged the rockery round the pond :lolol:
But that wold involve lifting and working and thinking mate which are not exactly your strong points:salute: :p :lolol:
And leave my battlke cruiser alone as it is doing a job which is why it is there grrrrrr

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
well, i'll let you see what i done when you get there tomorrow.
lorry arriving at 11 in the morning with top soil and compost so don't over sleep :p

did a fair bit in the 4 hours i was there though.

finished work about 1ish this afternoon so spent a fair while down there.
actually, the battlestar galatica stone must have disappeared through a black hole :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am off work from Wednesday until next Monday, can't wait to get out and work on the veggie plot, far better than going to work...should have some seeds planted by the weekend.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Gully said:
I am off work from Wednesday until next Monday, can't wait to get out and work on the veggie plot, far better than going to work...should have some seeds planted by the weekend.

we been digging our raised beds the last 2 weeks.
really warm today and top of the ground was hard to around 2cm deep.
need to get it all dug before the warm weather takes a hold

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Gully said:

I have heard that there may be a forst tomorrow night so be careful if you are going to plant seedlings mate. It is still a bit early outside of a greehouse;)

Mogster
I did not think there was much to do down there apart from build some supports for our mega raised fruit bed unless you managed to steal some hay for the strawberries???

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
I have heard that there may be a forst tomorrow night so be careful if you are going to plant seedlings mate. It is still a bit early outside of a greehouse;)

Mogster
I did not think there was much to do down there apart from build some supports for our mega raised fruit bed unless you managed to steal some hay for the strawberries???

you'll see when you get down there.
oh, and take yer digi camera and get some shots from different angles now its almost complete.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
damn, told lorenzo about wood we needed but forget to measure it up.
will do it tomorrow and tell loz, he'll sort it quickly fingers crossed.;)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
damn, told lorenzo about wood we needed but forget to measure it up.
will do it tomorrow and tell loz, he'll sort it quickly fingers crossed.;)

Good lad.
It is about time you did a proper days work anyway mate so will see in the morning. I guess you have maybe done a compost plot for all that manure mate or have you wrecked Paddy and Janes lot hehehehe
Have the frogspawn opened yet mate as the ones in my pond here have and we have got hundreds of the little blighters swimming around :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
Good lad.
It is about time you did a proper days work anyway mate so will see in the morning. I guess you have maybe done a compost plot for all that manure mate or have you wrecked Paddy and Janes lot hehehehe
Have the frogspawn opened yet mate as the ones in my pond here have and we have got hundreds of the little blighters swimming around :)

didn't see any, they generally hatch out at night though so maybe in the morning.

didn't do any of the above.
have to make up some sides for the manure section. new pallets from down the road, i'll get some more this week

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
If you boys are going to natter on about this like you are we need a photo diary or your greenhouse, manure section and raised beds and it'll be just like being there.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Starry said:
If you boys are going to natter on about this like you are we need a photo diary or your greenhouse, manure section and raised beds and it'll be just like being there.

i'm sure if you ask B.M.F. to post some photos, he'll oblige tomorrow when hes taken some.

i think the thread was started to find out how many other people on here are either growing fruit and veg or thinking about it whether at home in their gardens or an allotment and to share ideas for organic growing.

some good ideas like that plant i cant think of right now you can grow next to cabbages so the cabbage white butterfly gets attracted to that and lays its eggs rather than the cabbages.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Gully said:

When I've got a few days off work in the summer, I love getting out and doing a bit of this :clap:

chnn0.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here