Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allotments

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
you've got my ebay account user name and passwords.
check out my bid list and what i've bought :lolol:

ashwagandha root has also been noted to have sex-enhancing properties.??? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
hiring a rotovator is probably not recommended.
if the plot has weeds in then using machinery like this will just chop up the weeds into small bits and you will get 10 times as many weeds in the end.

dig it but section areas to keep it all manegable.
raised beds is by far the best solution.

i have the Dy Hessayon' book you mention but i feel the carol klein book which i linked earlier will be a great addition to the novice and expert alike gardener.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
somebody sugeested to me that usinga cultivator, is there any difference to a rotavator, and then planting potatos would be the best idea as potatos help clear the weeds.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
I am told, but awaiting the rules, that the association do not permit the use of weedkillers.
Most do not allow it and I prefer the natural work. We had a plot to start off with that was all grass and weed so we manually dug it over and piled the dug up stuff grass side down. We are now using it as the base for a 2ft high raised bed as when the grass rots down it is the best compost you can get;) It is hard work but well wort it in the end. As you can see from my pictures we have done various size raised beds so you can start growing fairly quickly and it saves you having to dig over the whole plot in one. If it helps ours was 5 rods as well so you get quite a big area for your money. I thought the tar pauling would stop the weeds as they do not grow in the dark so it may well be almost ready to dig over. If you want to get rid of weeds then it is suggested you dig down 2.5 spade depths to ensure all roots etc are taken out.
I can give you a link to a couple of websites for allotmenters if you like BG :)

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:

I take it the wife is not going to amsterdam with you now then :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
I take it the wife is not going to amsterdam with you now then :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

still working on that.
3 weeks left to work on it though :down:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
BensGrandad said:
somebody sugeested to me that usinga cultivator, is there any difference to a rotavator, and then planting potatos would be the best idea as potatos help clear the weeds.

its up to you but the fact of the matter is they don't go far enough down.
seriously though, someone on our site hired an excavational mini-digger.
looked good once it was done.
within 4 weeks, all the grass & weeds were through again and the whole 5 rods plot needs doing again.

best plan is to do a small section at a time and dig it properly.
digging is bloody hard work and boring as hell but its the best way

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:

digging is bloody hard work and boring as hell but its the best way

How would you know? I did most of the digging:angry: :angry: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Seriously though I acxtually enjoy the digging and laying of compost / top soil etc and find it quite relaxing and a good hard days digging never hurts :) Your speciality is the seedlings matey :)

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
How would you know? I did most of the digging:angry: :angry: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

maybe i should have said, B.M.F. would vouch for the digging being tough work :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would appear that I shall follow the advice of BMF and dig it all over but what is the benefits of the 2ft raise beds that he/she speaks of, using the old soil that has been dug.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
BensGrandad said:
It would appear that I shall follow the advice of BMF and dig it all over but what is the benefits of the 2ft raise beds that he/she speaks of, using the old soil that has been dug.

I have decided to get a couple of pigs, not only will they turn over and fertilise the soil I'll get a years supply of pork and bacon.

I'm going on a course early may to learn about it all, can't wait.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
rool said:
I have decided to get a couple of pigs, not only will they turn over and fertilise the soil I'll get a years supply of pork and bacon.

I'm going on a course early may to learn about it all, can't wait.

Sorry you lost have lost me.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
I am a he mate;) and there is no benefit to it acept we are growing fruit bushes os it will be easier to pick the fruit. It also meant we were utilising the space we had to ensur as many varieties of crops as posible :)
It is hard work but if you do sections at a time then it is not too bad. If you want to do borders the cheapest way to do it is go to your local industrial estate and ask for pallets then break the things down and hey presto enough wood to make your borders and you only need to pay for nails and maybe a few support stakes :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
BensGrandad said:

you don't need anything near 2ft raised beds.

5 inches would be ideal.

the soil in raised beds warms up quicker and dries out much better which is great for plots with high in clay like ours.

guarantees ample growing depth for veg like carrots, parsnips, etc

easier to maintain a set section rather than one large area.

you can fill you selected raised bed with whatever you want like composts or mulches so its totally dedicated to a set area.

is a far less daunting prospect doing and looking after a raised bed than the whole plot.
do one raised bed at a time so you keep on top of it all.

chances are you will waste less produce due to you planning the size of raised bed with a particular veg in mind.
bear in mind crop rotation here though, 3 years is recommended.

beds can be made any size or length.
for example, look at the photos earlier in the thread of the raised beds we've specifically done for strawberries.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
BensGrandad said:
What are the pros and cons of digging with a spade as to using a fork.

We use both. Spades are good for getting straight digs and deeper digs but you also need to use a fork at this breaks up the soil more so is very important especialy if you have a rich clay soil like we do :) I would recommed using afork to get the grass up and the spdae for depth. then wehn finished turn it over with a fork to break up the soil :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many thanks I have at last done something right as I used the fork to get rid of the top grass as I had difficulty in getting the spade to go through it. I shall now continue throughout the whole plot using that method.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
i feel the carol klein book which i linked earlier will be a great addition to the novice and expert alike gardener.

My old dear has just given me the grow your own book by Carol Klein and it does look good. She did that bbc 2 show that was on a few weeks back about allotments and she is down to earth and does know her stuff :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
B.M.F said:
My old dear has just given me the grow your own book by Carol Klein and it does look good. She did that bbc 2 show that was on a few weeks back about allotments and she is down to earth and does know her stuff :)

yeah, its a bloody good book.
lots of excellent tips and info

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here