Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And anyway, what about the illuminiti point? Who's in?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Because they fund OUR club ..we will just have to agree to disagree !

But thats the thing that is bugging me, and i presume whats bugging WW. If i had buckets of money, i'd happily pay the £90 a month and shut up about it all, because i'd be fine. But i like others cant afford to do so, and having travelled up and down the country home and away, to now be told that someone coming along buying there first ever season ticket in a posh seat will have priority for away games is pretty unfair, IMO.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Because they fund OUR club ..we will just have to agree to disagree !

But so do the people that go to 46 games a season, buy all the replica shirts, bobble hats, and the other tat you can buy in the club shop. They are also a "12th man" at games that help to maximise results on the road, boosting our league position and ultimately our revenues. You need to keep both sweet, rather than picking one over the other.

So I'll disagree, yeah.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly. When Falmer has its big games, as it inevitably will, those who pay the premium for a season ticket will be rewarded with a guaranteed seat. It is entirely realistic that for the first match at the stadium there could be the type of fans that TGC has highlighted (ie those who follow the team away but rarely go to home games) who will miss out. That's fair, because they don't commit to the club at home. Similarly, people who buy a season ticket for Falmer shouldn't be at the front of the queue for Man United away if they've never been to an away match before. As I said above, a points system is the only way to ensure fairness. The more I think about it, why not just rate every match as equal? Therefore those who put money into the club get 1 point each time they do (season ticket holders automatically get 23 points) while those who travel to the Hartlepools and Tranmeres of this world also get 1 point each time they do. Then when the glamour games come along not only are true fans in attendance (those who have been to most games) but those who have pumped money into the club are more likely to have the most points.

Sorry, but supporting a football club is about more than where your money goes. Getting up at 5am on a Saturday morning to go to Carlisle shows just as much dedication, if not more, than being able to afford £90 a month.

You really are getting on my tits with your constant bleating.

1901 club members can afford the money, away supporters can afford the time. Tell me why one group should prevail over the other? I cant. But I can understand why the club would want to help out those who have helped them financially.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
But thats the thing that is bugging me, and i presume whats bugging WW. If i had buckets of money, i'd happily pay the £90 a month and shut up about it all, because i'd be fine. But i like others cant afford to do so, and having travelled up and down the country home and away, to now be told that someone coming along buying there first ever season ticket in a posh seat will have priority for away games is pretty unfair, IMO.

But most of the 1901 are existing STH .....there shouldnt be many "first timers" in the 1901... in reality in the commercial world money talks

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
But most of the 1901 are existing STH .....there shouldnt be many "first timers" in the 1901... in reality in the commercial world money talks

Most yes, but not all. As i've said, i know at least 10 seats owned by people who have never been to Withdean, and have been knocking the club for the last 10 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most yes, but not all. As i've said, i know at least 10 seats owned by people who have never been to Withdean, and have been knocking the club for the last 10 years.

Mmmmmm. Probably best that we dont encourage this. I mean, why encourage new supporters?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Surely this is what the fans fought for all these years - the right for the club to exist in a new state-of-the-art commercially-viable stadium for the benefit of Sussex as a whole? IMHO can't now turn round and blame the marketing department for trying to sell stuff to a whole new pool of punters, after countless years of trying to find new ways to squeeze yet more money out of the same 5,000 or so core supporters. Good luck to them, I say.

The more I think about it, why not just rate every match as equal? Therefore those who put money into the club get 1 point each time they do (season ticket holders automatically get 23 points) while those who travel to the Hartlepools and Tranmeres of this world also get 1 point each time they do. Then when the glamour games come along not only are true fans in attendance (those who have been to most games) but those who have pumped money into the club are more likely to have the most points.
I think you will find that was my point. But then you also prove my point about "Superfan" perception with your tosh about getting up at 5am. Read carefully what I said and I don't think giving Gold/Platinum main priority is fair. But it makes more sense than your 2 points per long distance away game rubbish. You don't get Clubcard points for using a Tesco's carrier bag in Sainsburys. And the simple fact is that away supporters provide ZERO income to the club apart from cup games. Football is a unique business and some thought does need to be given to providing a fairer system but money will always be a factor like it or not. Despite what some people seem to believe, Tony Bloom is a shrewd business man and wants his money back if possible. He has not donated £93 million to BHAFC. He has decided to take a hit of some description (at minimum loss of interest on the money) but ultimately wants back as much as possible. And corporate/platinum/gold has raised £7 million of that already. Sadly the die is cast and priority seems to have been promised so there will be no changing that any time in the next 5 years but a loyalty scheme that views games as being Brighton games rather than home or away games would be a welcome addition.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Surely the fairest way is to give ALL STH's equal priority regardless of what type of STH you have? :shrug:

Mmmmmm. Probably best that we dont encourage this. I mean, why encourage new supporters?
That is the problem - I sympathise with the sentiment but there is no point having 6000 old school fans rattling around in Falmer. And the more the club can get per game from these "newbies", the more money there is to spend on the squad. It is a very difficult balancing act to manage but this default setting of "getting up at 5am to go to Carlisle makes you top of the pile" that some people seem to have is most certainly not the way forward. The club have to try and keep 20000 people happy to maximise their revenue and some people won't like some decisions. It is sadly inevitable.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

:US: Im not knocking that, i think its great, i'd rather 20k in the stadium than the 6k at Withdean every week. My argument is, that I find it unfair that the new supporters who go via the 1901 club now have priority for AWAY games over those who have been season ticket holders for years.
The financial argument works in some cases, but how can it be argued someone paying £75 a month is contributing more financially? These people i know who havent had season tickets, or even been to games, have contributed far less financially over the years.
Re-read my argument, because i think your misreading it, at no point am i against new supporters.

Surely the fairest way is to give ALL STH's equal priority regardless of what type of STH you have? :shrug:
Probably yes but the fringe benefits of Gold/Platinum have swayed many people - myself included - into buying one. Without carrots such as that, revenue may have been reduced. I think another thing to bear in mind is that the club expected to have sold 400 seats by now rather than 1200 so may have made a rod for their own back by underestimating the response.

Season Ticket holders will have 'A' priority, I would put my house on it. The same system is in place at the likes of Arsenal, Leeds ect there are far more examples also. I don't understand why people are making such a big deal of it.

Because the Club have said that Season Ticket holders WON'T have 'A' priority.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
:US: Im not knocking that, i think its great, i'd rather 20k in the stadium than the 6k at Withdean every week. My argument is, that I find it unfair that the new supporters who go via the 1901 club now have priority for AWAY games over those who have been season ticket holders for years.
The financial argument works in some cases, but how can it be argued someone paying £75 a month is contributing more financially? These people i know who havent had season tickets, or even been to games, have contributed far less financially over the years.
Re-read my argument, because i think your misreading it, at no point am i against new supporters.

It's not just £75 per month is it :facepalm:

Fine dinning,sliver service,expensive menue's and beverages.I think that alone is far more expensive then a hotdog and beer.

But the reality is that so far, the bulk of the seats were sold when it was only open to existing STHs/hospitality.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I didnt misread it, I was being facetious.

Anyway, maybe these new 1901 bods will have contributed far less over the years, but give it a few months of paying £99+VAT and they'll be up to speed.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I think Bloom has every right to chase money don't you? How else will the club pay back 93 million in 20 old years or so?

Its what appears to be the elitist way in which its being done.

Very little information offered to the bulk of fans and what appears to be little interest in people that have helped keep the club going.

Bloom has put forward his millions and can act how he wants but that does not mean he has the right to fleece everyone else to get a refund. In answer to the question he could right a cheque or sell it to someone who can pay or borrow agaisnt the assests and my future season ticket payments.

It's not just £75 per month is it :facepalm:

Fine dinning,sliver service,expensive menue's and beverages.I think that alone is far more expensive then a hotdog and beer.
I wish it was £75 a month BTW. Actually £76 + VAT. And that is the crux of the matter - I have been persuaded to spend probably twice what I would have done had I got a plain ST.

Anyway, I have made my points and I am aware that that as a Gold seat holder, my arguments will seem biased. The truth is that I believe it is far from the fairest solution but one of the most understandable from a business case point of view and I have decided to make a commitment to take advantage. Ultimately, nearly everyone will make the decision to do what is best for them whether they agree with it or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here