Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I couldn't care less about the seats, that is a part of modern football (and I probably would if I had a spare grand banging around) but giving priority for away games in that way is outrageous, there's 1,500 platinum/gold seats? That was 1/3 our allocation at Villa? ... my figures might be horribly wrong there but it does come out like something like that...doesn't it? So what about the other 10k+? season ticket holders at Falmer. We have to scrabble around for the last 3,000 despite being no less fans.

Rubbish.

This.
I havent a problem with the Gold/Platinum whatever packages, and accept the fact that most buying them ARE season ticket holders or long term fans. But i know a couple of people who have already bought theirs, and have never had a season ticket, and i believe have been to 5 games maximum in their lives. I'd love to buy a gold/platinum package, but due to the fact ill be at/going to Uni around this time i cant afford to do so, and neither can my old man. We've been going home and away as ST holders for years, and the idea that someone who for years has given me endless stick about supporting "a pointless club" to now have priority for away games is imo ridiculous.
I accept that MOST are STH's or long term fans treating themselves, but say we get Palace away, and are given 2000 tickets (if that). If 1500 are sold to Platinum/Gold seats, that leaves less than 1000 tickets for the remaining Sth's.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Anyone else a bit disappointed in that video clip? Decor inside looks really bland, thought I was going to be blown away by it but it was just...well.... alright :shrug:

Hoping I'm very wrong but I really thought it was going to be a bit special inside and all there was were a couple if photos in the lift!

Or is the video not actually a proper representation of the finished article?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone else a bit disappointed in that video clip? Decor inside looks really bland, thought I was going to be blown away by it but it was just...well.... alright :shrug:

Hoping I'm very wrong but I really thought it was going to be a bit special inside and all there was were a couple if photos in the lift!

Or is the video not actually a proper representation of the finished article?

:facepalm:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
If people are getting worried about getting tickets for away games, the PSB don't travel by and large, unless of course we get Tottenham or Villa in the cup.
My guess is that those of us who travel away on a regular basis will have no more trouble getting tickets when we get to Falmer than we do now.
If and when we go up the divisions, the number of away tickets increases due to the bigger allocation for bigger stadiums so the ratio between the numbers of supply and demand should stay the same?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think you're right JS. You don't often hear of Premiership or Championship clubs having binfests over most away games. Palace away and glamour cup ties will be as much of a nightmare as ever but the majority of away games won't be an issue in my opinion

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If people are getting worried about getting tickets for away games, the PSB don't travel by and large, unless of course we get Tottenham or Villa in the cup.
My guess is that those of us who travel away on a regular basis will have no more trouble getting tickets when we get to Falmer than we do now.
If and when we go up the divisions, the number of away tickets increases due to the bigger allocation for bigger stadiums so the ratio between the numbers of supply and demand should stay the same?

Fair point, im not calling it the PSB, just saying some people i know who've purchased gold/platinum seats arent STH's even supporters at the moment. My point was for high profile away games (i accept that villa we were allocated 6k so not such a problem), but my previous example, Palace away, we are likely to get 2000ish tickets i presume? Most will want to go to games like that, even many of those who are new to the club.
Just seems like theres a chance of being priced out, which imo it is, of tickets for big games. (southampton, palace, if we were to get Portsmouth for example).

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Everybody knows it, they should do a priority system where those who go to the most games get priority.

Of course, this is the Albion we are talking about. Ticketing to cater for everyone is something they haven't managed since I started watching them, and sadly it doesn't look like they are going to manage it at Falmer.

Giving rich corporates priority over your average season ticket holder is absolutely disgusting when you consider that in most (but not all) cases it'll be firms in the 1901 club rather than fans.

Still, at least they've done bloody well to sell so many of the corporate seats so far, even if they've yet against bollocksed up the ticket priority system.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Fair point, im not calling it the PSB, just saying some people i know who've purchased gold/platinum seats arent STH's even supporters at the moment. My point was for high profile away games (i accept that villa we were allocated 6k so not such a problem), but my previous example, Palace away, we are likely to get 2000ish tickets i presume? Most will want to go to games like that, even many of those who are new to the club.
Just seems like theres a chance of being priced out, which imo it is, of tickets for big games. (southampton, palace, if we were to get Portsmouth for example).

Taking your examples, even if we were playing those teams away next season, taking this years figures of 4,500 season tickets the same allocation problems would be valid?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Taking your examples, even if we were playing those teams away next season, taking this years figures of 4,500 season tickets the same allocation problems would be valid?

Yes, with 4500 season tickets its not a problem. But when new supporters come along, and we have 10k + season ticket holders it will be.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Everybody knows it, they should do a priority system where those who go to the most games get priority.

Of course, this is the Albion we are talking about. Ticketing to cater for everyone is something they haven't managed since I started watching them, and sadly it doesn't look like they are going to manage it at Falmer.

Giving rich corporates priority over your average season ticket holder is absolutely disgusting when you consider that in most (but not all) cases it'll be firms in the 1901 club rather than fans.

Still, at least they've done bloody well to sell so many of the corporate seats so far, even if they've yet against bollocksed up the ticket priority system.

Agreed. For once.:wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PSB, Pet Shop Boys?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, with 4500 season tickets its not a problem. But when new supporters come along, and we have 10k + season ticket holders it will be.

FFS just f***ing shut up all of you. This is f***ing boring.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
it's FANS who deserve to go, and if we get an allocation of 2,000 and more than half of them go to corporates then that will be DISGUSTING.

I agree, but as has been said, not all 1901 club members are corporates.

Maybe a fairer system would be based on the total number of games, home and away for allocation first, then any remaining 1901 members, then remaining STH'S.

Of course under that system, every person would have to buy through the club database. If you rocked up on the day at an away match and bought a ticket direct from the away club, you couldn't expect to get a credit for that on the database.

There doesn't appear to be any easy solution that would appeal to everybody.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ady1973, I felt exactly like you. I thopught the club were selling the seats off to corporates and it would be the new club wembley. Then I spoke to a few fans I knew who had joined, then did the presentation and I was sold. I suspect about the seats at least have gone to existing season ticket holders and the other half to corporates who support the club financially anyway and a mixture of those who are both.

The corporate side doesn't appeal that much but the chance to treat myself, dad and son to one of the better seats, in comfort and a car parking space is too good to turn down. I was 50:50 until I spoke to my wife who pointed out it was the only "vice" I had and that given all the shit since the Goldstone, with Gillingham and Withdean I deserved to enjoy at least the first five years at Falmer in style. So sealed it so together with my NSC watching friend, my son and dad have got four seats and the gold package. And I can't bloody wait. And I won't let a prawn sandwich touch my lips, I will be in my seat long before kick off and won't miss a kick. It's not the club wembley of Falmer, it's the 1901 Club, and we have are own funny handshake, which I can't tell you about.

That's exactly what should happen. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but some sort of system where every match, home and away, is ranked and worth a certain number of points would be the best option. It doesn't have to be flash - just 1 point for home matches, 1 point for popular away games, and 2 points for going to Hartlepool, Oldham, Tranmere etc. Then when we get an over subscribed match there can be NO argument about tickets.
This is the attitude that really pisses me off. You are expecting the club to give priority to someone who travels to Hartlepool and contributes nothing to the club financially over people who pay top dollar to the club to go to home games. The general thrust of your argument is - look at us, we are great supporters because we go to Hartlepool. The simple fact is that you are young, free and single and can therefore afford to go to Hartlepool. That in no way makes you a better supporter that your extra point system seems to suggest you believe. Everyone supports the club in their own way that suits their circumstances. 20 years ago, I went to most away games, now I go to 2 or 3 a season on average because I cannot and will not abandon my partner on every Saturday for 9 months. What you are suggesting is changing from discriminating in favour of people who pay top dollar to the club to a system that discriminates in favour of people who have a lifestyle that allows them to go to away games. Which is essentially advocating the club go from one unfair system to another unfair system which favours people who contribute little financially to the club and alienates those who do add to the coffers.

There are bound to be many fairer schemes but this "away support" bollocks really grates with me. Yes, the support is excellent and helps the team immensely but that does not make you super fans. The sad reality is that the club (and all clubs - this "only at the Albion" bollocks also grates) need money and will therefore give priority to those who pay most. I missed out at West Ham a few years ago and having priority should I need it added a small weight to the side of the scales that eventually led me to get a gold seat. It probably won't be that often I exercise the right so I doubt the noticeable effect on other supporters will be that great. But the suggestion that the club should spurn someone who pays them £90 a month in favour of someone who spends £90 getting pissed up with their mates at Hartlepool shows a complete lack of financial nouse. Although there is validity in the argument that people who go to Hartlepool are loyal supporters, there is equally validity in the argument that people who have been ST holders every year at Withdean are just as, if not more loyal. Or that those who watch JPT games are even more loyal. Or that the corporate sponsors who provided funding whilst getting hospitality in a Portakabin deserve more priority.

The simple fact is that there is more to supporting a football club than going to Hartlepool and Tranmere. Just reading on here shows you the amount of people who just go away to Tranmere and Hartlepool and wherever but don't go to Withdean because of the cost/facilities/lack of atmosphere. Team morale at these matches rises but loyal? Worthy of twice the points than someone who goes to watch home to Exeter on a rainy Tuesday night?

It does and always will come down to money. And will probably have little effect in the big scheme of things. Of greater concern should be the rumoured 13500 Season tickets in the first year. How do you divide that into 5000 seats at Old Trafford? Give priority to non ST holders who went to Tranmere and alienate 9000 new ST holders in a stroke? A difficult balancing act to achieve and not an answer I have. But keeping the odd big away game just for the regular away supporters is not viable. Season tickets become easier to sell when there are added perks and ultimately, the club has to find £93 million pound over the next few years from somewhere.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
without existing STH some of whom make up the lions share of the 1901 club there would be no Albion to support ...going to away games contributed nothing financial in keeping the Albion afloat during the recent dark days..get realistic about ticket allocations...those who fund the club deserve to be at the front of the queue ....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
This is the attitude that really pisses me off. You are expecting the club to give priority to someone who travels to Hartlepool and contributes nothing to the club financially over people who pay top dollar to the club to go to home games. The general thrust of your argument is - look at us, we are great supporters because we go to Hartlepool. The simple fact is that you are young, free and single and can therefore afford to go to Hartlepool. That in no way makes you a better supporter that your extra point system seems to suggest you believe. Everyone supports the club in their own way that suits their circumstances. 20 years ago, I went to most away games, now I go to 2 or 3 a season on average because I cannot and will not abandon my partner on every Saturday for 9 months. What you are suggesting is changing from discriminating in favour of people who pay top dollar to the club to a system that discriminates in favour of people who have a lifestyle that allows them to go to away games. Which is essentially advocating the club go from one unfair system to another unfair system which favours people who contribute little financially to the club and alienates those who do add to the coffers.

There are bound to be many fairer schemes but this "away support" bollocks really grates with me. Yes, the support is excellent and helps the team immensely but that does not make you super fans. The sad reality is that the club (and all clubs - this "only at the Albion" bollocks also grates) need money and will therefore give priority to those who pay most. I missed out at West Ham a few years ago and having priority should I need it added a small weight to the side of the scales that eventually led me to get a gold seat. It probably won't be that often I exercise the right so I doubt the noticeable effect on other supporters will be that great. But the suggestion that the club should spurn someone who pays them £90 a month in favour of someone who spends £90 getting pissed up with their mates at Hartlepool shows a complete lack of financial nouse. Although there is validity in the argument that people who go to Hartlepool are loyal supporters, there is equally validity in the argument that people who have been ST holders every year at Withdean are just as, if not more loyal. Or that those who watch JPT games are even more loyal. Or that the corporate sponsors who provided funding whilst getting hospitality in a Portakabin deserve more priority.

The simple fact is that there is more to supporting a football club than going to Hartlepool and Tranmere. Just reading on here shows you the amount of people who just go away to Tranmere and Hartlepool and wherever but don't go to Withdean because of the cost/facilities/lack of atmosphere. Team morale at these matches rises but loyal? Worthy of twice the points than someone who goes to watch home to Exeter on a rainy Tuesday night?

It does and always will come down to money. And will probably have little effect in the big scheme of things. Of greater concern should be the rumoured 13500 Season tickets in the first year. How do you divide that into 5000 seats at Old Trafford? Give priority to non ST holders who went to Tranmere and alienate 9000 new ST holders in a stroke? A difficult balancing act to achieve and not an answer I have. But keeping the odd big away game just for the regular away supporters is not viable. Season tickets become easier to sell when there are added perks and ultimately, the club has to find £93 million pound over the next few years from somewhere.

That is absolute TOSH.

Why should someone lucky enough to afford a posh seat at Falmer get exclusive rights to our big games away from home, when someone lesser off that goes to games home and away possibly can't get a ticket?

Funny, it's always the people guaranteed a ticket who are keen to back the clubs joke policy up. Let's face it, nobody else will. Because it stinks.

What if the FA suddenly said the prawn sandwich brigade at Wembley got first dibs on all England away tickets because they have shown the must loyalty in buying the premium seats, thus earning them the most revenue? Would that be fair? No.

Corporates buy a ticket for home games at the ground that provides their hospitality, NOT for away games. The club has f***ed up on this, without shadow of a doubt. To suggest otherwise is stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here