Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club Rules

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Totally f***ing stupid. As people have already pointed out the football is a place we enjoy outside of our normal working weeks and as such it has always been a place with no pretensions we can relax at.

I do NOT expect to be told what I can and cannot wear, ESPECIALLY if I'm paying EXTRA for my seat. Now as it happens, I'm not, I'm just in with the rabble so this doesn't affect me BUT I had hoped that one day I'd join the upper echelons and do the footie in stye but there's absolutely no chance I'll be doing so if this dress code is enforced. No replica shirts is one thing but saying you have to wear a collared shirt and no t-shirts is absolutely stupid.

I rather suspect it won't actually be enforced but even still, it's a completely draconian and unnecessary measure. Who does it benefit and what do they gain?

The ONLY place I will respect a dress code is my place of work, as dictated by my employer. If I'm being paid by them then they have a certain degree of hold over me with which to lay down the rules. Anywhere else and they can f*** right off, be that a restaurant, nightclub or fancy pants stadium members only section. If I'm PAYING you to be a customer then you don't get to tell me what I can and cannot wear.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Pringle and lois cords with a deer stalking hat will be ok then ?

Doc Martens are so in again coolio

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham
Why risk wearing whats not in the "rules"? Its just a case of wearing a decent pair of jeans, polo shirt and brown/black shoes. Hardly expecting people to wear a suit and tie are they. Don't see the problem to be honest. Obviously the kids will be perfectly fine wearing replica shirts, no complaints really.

james

May 14, 2004
Lindfield
No sports clothing - does that rule out anything from the club shop? Have just posted this question on ATC as would like to know before I buy stuff in theer that I can't then wear to the games. To be fair about replica shirts, I have know about that from the start but do not agree with it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why risk wearing whats not in the "rules"? Its just a case of wearing a decent pair of jeans, polo shirt and brown/black shoes. Hardly expecting people to wear a suit and tie are they. Don't see the problem to be honest. Obviously the kids will be perfectly fine wearing replica shirts, no complaints really.

100% this.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

No major problem. Just a complete lack of consultation with club members.

The licence agreement which we had to sign (over 12 months after people had purchased their seat) did not specify which item of clothing was acceptable/non acceptable except specifically naming 'away colours' as being non acceptable.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No major problem. Just a complete lack of consultation with club members.

The licence agreement which we had to sign (over 12 months after people had purchased their seat) did not specify which item of clothing was acceptable/non acceptable except specifically naming 'away colours' as being non acceptable.

Which by definition said to me that home colours would be allowed. I think that would certainly stand up in a court of law.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
My money has been handed over under FALSE PRETENCES. When I first visited regarding the 1901 seats etc I was wearing a polo shirt, jeans and smart trainers. I asked if this was ok attire and I was told "YES". At the time I was with my bother who was also wearing jeans and trainers. At the Open Day the other Sunday I wore a Hollister hoop polo, jeans and converse. I asked the question again and was told "YES". Just to be sure of the detail I pointed to my brother who was wearing a seagulls logo'd polo shirt, jeans and well-worn White trainers. The guide said "YES" but stated that the logo was a bit big!!!!! I then specifically asked about replica shirts to be sure. He said that they couldn't be worn in the lounge unless they were covered up. To be fair he pointed out that Tony Bloom ("after all he's put a lot of money into this and wants a certain standard to be upheld in 1901. He's the boss and what he says goes. Fair enough eh?") expects 1901 to be a classy look and feel. I do not have a replica shirt and now will NEVER buy one. In fact they won't get any cash from me for clothing. I will stick to wearing Hollister gear so it subtly has a seagull but will also be wearing smart trainers or converse. I am absolutely disgusted by the clubs attitude to this. It's not the deal I signed up for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Another This. 30 something's trying to be rebellious in polyester, please, get a grip.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Wear colours in your seat, if they kick off when you go in at half time just have to deal with some chests out (hug a steward day), then shirts back on for the second half. Or they could be sensible and aslong as the soles aren't falling off dirty trainers, and there are no rips in the jeans...... just let people be themselves!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Bloody corporate crap grrrrrrrrr
Will there be a special outfitters department in the club shop for the 1901 club ???

Attachments

• s c.jpg
    s c.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 405
  • suits.bmp
    147.7 KB · Views: 401

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Come on Phil, cards on the table, you've been studiously neutral all the way through this thread. Are you pissed off about it or not? You're allowed to have an opinion y'know. Unless that's in the 1901'ers small print also.

I suspect you are, mate. and rightly so.

Not at all, I was told we wouldn't be allowed to wear replica shirts at the presentation, and I do not have a problem with it.

Were the rules re. replica shirts known at time of signing up for your 1901 seats?

If there were, then it's clear.

If they weren't then I really can't see how the club can enforce them.

It was told to us verbally, it does not appear in the license agreement.

Not sure why everyone seems to be jumping up and down and this late stage. I thought when the 1901 was first drawn up, that the club were going to stick to this rule. I thought everyone knew that...didn't they.
We had a huge discussion on here last year or even the 2009 about this. That was one of reasons a huge chunk of season long fans decided to give it a wide berth because of the dress code and the zero torrerance of bad language (ok that's two reasons)

Didn't hear any comment about bad language at the time of the presentation it is also completely impossible to enforce in a group of 2000.

The email clearly states NO replica shirts, so no, obviously, this will not be fine for kids. Whether or not they do wear them, and get away with it remains to be seen..

My money has been handed over under FALSE PRETENCES. When I first visited regarding the 1901 seats etc I was wearing a polo shirt, jeans and smart trainers. I asked if this was ok attire and I was told "YES". At the time I was with my bother who was also wearing jeans and trainers. At the Open Day the other Sunday I wore a Hollister hoop polo, jeans and converse. I asked the question again and was told "YES". Just to be sure of the detail I pointed to my brother who was wearing a seagulls logo'd polo shirt, jeans and well-worn White trainers. The guide said "YES" but stated that the logo was a bit big!!!!!.

All this, they have made a rod for their own back here, with totally unclear guidance.

Cue a chant from the North Stand of "Where's your footy shirt? Where's your footy shirt?!" whilst pointing at the Prawn Sandwich brigade.

f*** off

Wear colours in your seat, if they kick off when you go in at half time just have to deal with some chests out (hug a steward day), then shirts back on for the second half. Or they could be sensible and aslong as the soles aren't falling off dirty trainers, and there are no rips in the jeans...... just let people be themselves!

A number of people have suggested that is what they are planning on doing.

1901ers stripping off at half time? That'll be another scoop for Naylor I guess!

I do hope Naylor is no-where to be seen :tosser:

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Exactly this.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Polo shirt, half decent jeans and some smart trainers or casual shoes. As long as you don't turn up in some battered running trainers or some skanky old jeans you'll be fine. They don't want people walking round their corporate areas looking like complete gypos, and rightly so,

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Problem is, loads of fans treated 1901 as a kinda of 'deluxe seat' option when, in fact, it's a completely different area, with different rules and etiquette.

I'm lucky enough to have been in 'corporate' seats at several grounds over the years, from Selhurst (watching Wimbledon) to Wembley, and there's always been a dress code.

I expect the club to be strict on this, especially if fans don't spend money in the restaurant...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I expect the club to be strict on this, especially if fans don't spend money in the restaurant...

They seemed to be doing a good trade on bookings for the restaurant the other Sunday, on the seating plan it looked like there were about 10 - 12 tables booked for the entire season, plus plenty of people bookng for ad-hoc matches. I think it will do quite well, but I am sure there will be some who never bother with it, we'll probably do 4 or 5 during the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If there were just 50 1901 members I could half understnad it. I'd just assume those 50 weren't really interested in the footy. But for the amount of 1901 fans, this makes no sense to me. What's wrong with wanting to wear a Brighton top?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here