Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club Rules

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is the polo shirt compulsory then? Certainly seems to be. Might as well re-brand the 1901 area as The Polo Lounge and be done with it :lol:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Exactly this.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Polo shirt, half decent jeans and some smart trainers or casual shoes. As long as you don't turn up in some battered running trainers or some skanky old jeans you'll be fine. They don't want people walking round their corporate areas looking like complete ________gypos,______ and rightly so,
Don't worry Palace fans will not be allowed in!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Problem is, loads of fans treated 1901 as a kinda of 'deluxe seat' option when, in fact, it's a completely different area, with different rules and etiquette.

There's none so blind...
Or just clever marketing/sales by the club?

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Is the polo shirt compulsory then? Certainly seems to be. Might as well re-brand the 1901 area as The Polo Lounge and be done with it :lol:

According to the rep on the 1901 open day, polo shirts with the Albion badge etc would be frowned upon ("the logo is too big"). Whereas something smaller like the 1901 polo shirt would be ok. Still the difference in price between the two would match the difference between 1901 membership and your good ol STH!!!!

Nordic Gull

Feb 25, 2009
Hampshire
There is one thing i would like to be included in the dress code - other teams colours... at the SCC final, there was a guy behind me in 1901 wearing Portsmouth FC jacket. I'm not passionaltely anti PFC, but FFS! Maybe you are a pompey fan, but like to watch the Albion, maybe even decided to buy a season ticket at the Albion, but for goodness sake could you not have worn a different coat??? Not hard to change but it bloody annoyed me, my first game there and you're behind me wearing that. There's been lots of banter/annoyance about JCLs, but that really shouldnt be allowed

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah I bet he wonders why he employs lying employees that misrepresent him at every opportunity. That day my brother had run a 10k for charity and his feet were not in the best of conditions so he wore these for comfort. He was not expecting them to meet the "dres code" but I asked to get clarity between the trainers we had worn when they sold us out seats and the converse I was wearing on the open day. The person representing Tony BLoom clearly was bullshitting. I fully respect what Mr Bloom is trying to achieve but please be up front with it rather than take my money and then change the rules.

Darling, my shoes are brutal at the best of times. Real men wear hard leather.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am bemused as to why anyone would only have trainers once they are over the age of 16 or so.

Is it really that much of a problem that you will need to wear a certain thing to gain access to the lounges? If you have gone to such lengths to have ready access to these things, then surely adhering to a dress code is not the end of the world. I wouldn't turn up to a smart eatery, dressed in football colours or shorts or tatty trainers. I find it hard to believe that one would think otherwise. A small price to pay for the better seats in the house, surely?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I am totally anti-dress codes for anything. What is the point? People should be able to wear whatever they feel comfortable in. The idea that smart dress promotes good behaviour is a myth - it's always the "smart-casual" nightclubs where there's trouble.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am totally anti-dress codes for anything. What is the point? People should be able to wear whatever they feel comfortable in. The idea that smart dress promotes good behaviour is a myth - it's always the "smart-casual" nightclubs where there's trouble.

It's just etiquette, isn't it? A certain level of style and decorum. I don't see the problem. When I was living in London, if I wanted to meet my old man for lunch, I was required to wear a shirt, tie and jacket. Obviously we could have eaten elsewhere, but he is happy in his club and who am I to contest.

There are a huge amount of places that would prefer one to dress smartly. I'd go to Buddies wearing flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt - I wouldn't go to the Hove Club wearing the same.

I went to Lords this summer and was invited into the members section. It was hot. I wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt, but the dress code was shirt/tie/jacket. Fair enough. It wasn't going to ruin my day.

I can't believe people are getting so wound up over such a small issue.

If it means that much to someone, then take a change of clothes and switch shirts if you want to access the lounge.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's just etiquette, isn't it? A certain level of style and decorum. I don't see the problem. When I was living in London, if I wanted to meet my old man for lunch, I was required to wear a shirt, tie and jacket. Obviously we could have eaten elsewhere, but he is happy in his club and who am I to contest.

There are a huge amount of places that would prefer one to dress smartly. I'd go to Buddies wearing flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt - I wouldn't go to the Hove Club wearing the same.

I went to Lords this summer and was invited into the members section. It was hot. I wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt, but the dress code was shirt/tie/jacket. Fair enough. It wasn't going to ruin my day.

If it means that much to someone, then take a change of clothes and switch shirts if you want to access the lounge.

As confirmed in the 'book of rules' the dress code is applicable to the whole 1901 area including seats.

D

Deleted User X18H

Very much this. Some people need to grasp what Brighton & Hove is all about nowadays. People want to dress nicely ,albeit conservatively that is all about what living and attending social engagements in Brighton & Hove is all about. That is why we have a multi million pound stadium and are buying players for millons as well.

Look at Croydon ...........gone on just look at it.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

To a degree I agree with you. But sadly way too many people simply don't make an effort, so we have to be told and we all suffer. The chap with his tatty trainers is a case in point. Why would you wear grubby white trainers at any time? At the very least the fella could have cleaned them. It's lazy, pure and simple. Personal pride alone ensures my shoes always shine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
it's always the "smart-casual" nightclubs where there's trouble.

True, and I hate the term smart casual. There was a club in London where the owner would strut up and down the door queue and thrust a mirror into the face of anyone he didn't like and camply and dismissively assert "would YOU let yourself into this club?" That's the way to do it.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Darling, my shoes are brutal at the best of times. Real men wear hard leather.

I am bemused as to why anyone would only have trainers once they are over the age of 16 or so.

The chap with his tatty trainers is a case in point. Why would you wear grubby white trainers at any time? At the very least the fella could have cleaned them. It's lazy, pure and simple. Personal pride alone ensures my shoes always shine.

These. Wear proper shoes, even if it's just occasionally. Your feet and your self esteem will thank you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very much this. Some people need to grasp what Brighton & Hove is all about nowadays. People want to dress nicely ,albeit conservatively that is all about what living and attending social engagements in Brighton & Hove is all about. That is why we have a multi million pound stadium and are buying players for millons as well.

Look at Croydon ...........gone on just look at it.

Please don't try and add your usual class spin to this discussion.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
The chap with his tatty trainers is a case in point. Why would you wear grubby white trainers at any time? At the very least the fella could have cleaned them. It's lazy, pure and simple. Personal pride alone ensures my shoes always shine.

Please get your facts straight. The trainers were well worn NOT tatty or dirty. The reason for wearing this was a valid one as explained. There wearer expected them NOT to meet the dress code but it was only an open day. I am not contesting the use of a dress code just the fact each time I ask about it the rules change. I was never given the impression 1901 was going to be some Gentlemen's club but corporate dress and both times I have checked with a representative of 1901 they have said what I was wearing was appropriate. Neither times I wore shoes. I wore smart trainers and smart converse which I was told were acceptable as was my brother with his showed White trainers!!! Now at the last minute they have changed the rules. If the rules are going to be such can we ask for those with shoes that have a scuff on them to be removed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here