• Ant & Dec

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Simon Cowell

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
For CRYING OUT LOUD! David Beckham did not "help us get the Olympics". He just appeared on a few banners and shook a few hands. Do we REALLY think that the International Olympic Committee make the decision as to which vastly expensive and incredibly detailed bid would win based on the fact that David Beckham wanted it?

I have no problem with Beckham as a person, but this idea that he was (a) responsible for the bid and its consequent success and (b) deserves some kind of reward for that, is utterly ludicrous.

What he said! ffs!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Beckham? Never taken part in an Olympic event and never will. About as relevant to the Olympics as Daley Thompson is to particle physics. Audrey Harrison would be a better shout. In fact Kelly Holmes, Denise Lewis, Rebecca Adlington even Amir Khan would be better shouts and there are hundres more to choose from. Although I draw the line at Tom Daley - Who for some reason I could happily punch in the face.

Also, What exactly has everyone got against Seb Coe? If we are talking about why we got the The Olympics he is the key more than anyone else and one of the most memeorbale golds I've watched. And I've never voted Tory in my life.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Daley Thompson all the way...

2 golds in 10 different events...
In a sport that requires training 365days a year.. (rowing does not)
and would also be nice a role model for black kids...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

One EVENT (with ten disciplines).

And I bet any money that athletes don't train as hard as rowers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's just splitting hairs I'm afraid and avoiding a question you know damn well will reveal you and 99% of people to be frauds.

No he isn't.

If he'd claimed to 'love ATHLETICS' but admitted to only watching athletics at the OG, then you'd have a point. He loves the whole occassion and spectacle of the Olympics - like many others. You don't have to, though. Feel free to ignore it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No he isn't.

If he'd claimed to 'love ATHLETICS' but admitted to only watching athletics at the OG, then you'd have a point. He loves the whole occassion and spectacle of the Olympics - like many others. You don't have to, though. Feel free to ignore it.

He's not going to like that ONE iota.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ok, sorry I didn't spell it out for you. But the point stands. If you love athletics or any of the events in the OG then good for you, this must be like an absolute wet dream. I honestly hope you fill your boots and have a wonderful time over the next few weeks. I (think) I'd love to see a World Cup in England, and I'd be all over a Test match at the County Ground or a grand prix through the streets of Brighton, so I can imagine how you feel right now.

If you never watch a single one of the events for four years and then rear your head when the OG starts and claim to love it, you're a prick.

Maybe people love the opportunity to witness many new sports to them that aren't mainstream and witness sports men and women who are at the peak of the physical abilities and are the greatest in the world at what they do?

Are people pricks if they watch the grand national but no other horse race during the year?

Are people pricks if they watch wimbledon but not all the other ATP tour events?

Are people pricks if they watch the final day of the 5th Ashes test but dont watch Sussex vs Surrey?

Your narrow mindedness is astounding.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ok, sorry I didn't spell it out for you. But the point stands. If you love athletics or any of the events in the OG then good for you, this must be like an absolute wet dream. I honestly hope you fill your boots and have a wonderful time over the next few weeks. I (think) I'd love to see a World Cup in England, and I'd be all over a Test match at the County Ground or a grand prix through the streets of Brighton, so I can imagine how you feel right now.

If you never watch a single one of the events for four years and then rear your head when the OG starts and claim to love it, you're a prick.

But what if somebody simply loves the occasion and spectacle of the Games as a whole, rather than a particular event? Why does that make them 'a prick'?

If they were to start spouting a load of crap, as though they were some great authority on fencing or Judo, they might let themselves down a bit, I grant you, but if they steer clear of that, and just ENJOY the Games, good luck to them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think you are getting ahead of yourself and making things up. DT was the best all round athlete of his generation and a great character but you seriously believe that for the build up to both olympic medals he didn't take one day off!!!!!!!

To you - tackiness and shallowness is a tour de force isn't it?

It's the Olympic Games. Steven Redgrave is the greatest living British Olympian, and one of the greatest Olympians ever, no matter how much your ignorance trivialises his achievements.

Being recognised (as in - I know that face) for the sake of being recognised is not in itself any form of achievement. It's actually irrelevant, and works quite badly against your argument.

Are you suggesting that David Beckham only achievement is being recognised. Yes, he has a brand that has been marketed well but his record number of caps for England (ex keepers) , his title medals in England and Spain and spells in Italy and the US make him one of the most recognisable sportsman around the globe and almost certainly the most famous British sportsman. That said, I don't think he should light the flame, as I think that honour belongs to Steve Redgrave but I would like to see Beckham hand the torch to him. Afterall, there are plenty of the 8,000 who have beenn on the relay that aren't olympians.

As for some of the comments regarding Beckham helping get the games, you have to be ignorant to think he didn't have a role to play. Did he single handedly win them? Of course not, nobody,not even TCB, is suggesting that. But the people that make the decisions enjoy being seen in the company of stars. It is no different to those people that enjoy having their photo taken with transient employees of their favourite football club!!!!

Who gives a damn what TCB thinks, he doesn't like the games, doesn't watch the games and doesn't even like the country he was, I assume, born in. To those of us that enjoy watching athletes doing their best representing THEIR country, TCB's comments are a total irrelevance so don't get wound up by them.

As for his ambitions to become american, may he achieve them sooner rather than later. I'm sure we'd all chip in for the one way fare!!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Anyone who has done something meaningful and is not on the "celebrate circuit" I am sick of famous people lording it, why can't we just have some one who devotes their life to something useful - nurse, soldier, charity worker etc.
And Beckham would be last on the list he is becoming a fame parasite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here