Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ant & Dec

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Simon Cowell

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Or Heston Blumenthal, for all his sterling work transforming the Olympic breakfast at Little Chef.

Though he'd probably have a torch with fire made of liquid nitrogen and proceed to eat it, so maybe not.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I,m not reading through the whole thread but has Christopher Biggins had a mention ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Are you suggesting that David Beckham only achievement is being recognised. Yes, he has a brand that has been marketed well but his record number of caps for England (ex keepers) , his title medals in England and Spain and spells in Italy and the US make him one of the most recognisable sportsman around the globe and almost certainly the most famous British sportsman. That said, I don't think he should light the flame, as I think that honour belongs to Steve Redgrave but I would like to see Beckham hand the torch to him. Afterall, there are plenty of the 8,000 who have beenn on the relay that aren't olympians.

His time in Spain was hardly medal-laden.

One La Liga title in a season he hardly featured. Todo.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Why isn't Roger Bannister on the list? He'd be my choice.

He was joint favourite with one or two Bookie's along with Sir Steve. I did wonder whether it would end up something like Sir Steve taking on the final 500 metres climbing the steps and handing over to Sir Roger ?

Roger Bannister did have a moment of glory recently and ran (probably faster than me and he is 83) with the torch on the very track that he broke the four minute mile record in the '50's.

I don't know of a name but maybe someone from Britain/Commonwealth who won a gold at the '48 Olympics could do it - they would probably be totally unknown but it would keep things within the much maligned Olympic Spirit imho.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
'the world' may know of Sir Steve Redgrave, but he's had enough bling..

Roger Bannister, who broke the 4 minute mile- a true landmark in athletics- gets my vote..

if they get both, and maybe and up and coming talent, all the better.. though i guess one of the major sponsors will have the last
McWord....

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I presume Bradley Wiggins isn't on the list because he hasn't won the T de France , which is criminal because he's already the greatest Olympian ( multiple medal winner in the worlds hardest sport)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I cant see why we cant do this,Sir Steve does the last 500 climbs the steps and he and Sir Roger light the flame. World record holders,Olympians together.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
All those voting for Coe should be ashamed... smug irritating little... now where is that "Name someone you would like to punch" thread when you need it?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Cathy Freeman. She was their big gold medal hope on the track that year and she went on to win in the 400metres!

If we use that as an example should it not be Jessica Ennis?

The other half says it should be Prince William.

That was my point. TCB wants beckham but you need an OLYMPIAN who actually represents the games.

For me, Redgrave would just have to be our choice.

No one else has competed and won in 5 Olympics. It's an astounding feat especially with his diabetes.

There's always high jumper, Dorothy Odam MBE (born 14 March 1920), who won the silver medal in the 1936 Berlin Olympics AND the 1948 London Olympics. The oldest living British medal winner. She also represented England in the javelin, the long-jump and the 80 metres hurdles, at the 1950 Empire Games and at the 1954 Empire and Commonwealth Games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here