Which Religion Is The Most Attractive

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Without being a pedant - someone should first work out what Religion actually means.

I believe it is Latin - from religio - meaning set of rules by which one lives.

Therefore regardless of whatever faith one follows or subscribes to we are all actually religious.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Without being a pedant - someone should first work out what Religion actually means.

I believe it is Latin - from religio - meaning set of rules by which one lives.

Therefore regardless of whatever faith one follows or subscribes to we are all actually religious.

No. I am not, in any way, religious.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Science needs to be held back, it's not some benevolent creature that is capable of only good.

You're so enamored with science you forget the horrific experiments it has carried out and the consequences of its creations that have utterly destroyed people and societies over the years.

One mad religious person can only kill one person at a time by hand. Science however gives people the ability to kill millions with the flip of a button.

Religious wars have killed a few (million).

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Religion is all the bad things people have said on here. The only problem is without it, there is no hope.
People in a really bad way need something to cling onto. With no religion what would it be?

Without religion there is no hope? Where on earth did you get that from? I am full of hope and I have no religion. My hope does not involve going to another "place" with or without 72 virgins to look after me when i die.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am a Christian, but do not consider myself "religious" in the slightest. Does that make sense to anyone here?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I just can't get my head round the concept of a "christian atheist". It must be a contradiction in terms, no? Surely, Christianity is built on the idea of there being a God - Jesus was supposedly the son of God, the Bible is based on God's actions...without the idea of "God", what are you left with?

Totally true. There is no such thing as a Christian atheist since the fundamental tenet of Christianity is to believe in God.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Totally true. There is no such thing as a Christian atheist since the fundamental tenet of Christianity is to believe in God.

You could have someone who lives by the values most strongly advocated in the Bible while not actually believing Jesus was the son of God, just a very, very good man.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The word "Christian" means to be Christ-like. You could want to follow the examples Jesus showed - charity to the poor, turning the other cheek - without believing in all of the supernatural stuff.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You could have someone who lives by the values most strongly advocated in the Bible while not actually believing Jesus was the son of God, just a very, very good man.

If yuo follow Christian values as espoused in the Bible but you do not believe in God you are not a Christian. If I choose not to eat pork it doesn't make me a Jew or a Muslim. If I choose not to eat beef it doesn't make me a Hindu.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The word "Christian" means to be Christ-like. You could want to follow the examples Jesus showed - charity to the poor, turning the other cheek - without believing in all of the supernatural stuff.

Christian = A person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Note - AND his teachings, not OR his teachings. You can live life in a christian way without believing in God but you cannot be a Christian.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If yuo follow Christian values as espoused in the Bible but you do not believe in God you are not a Christian. If I choose not to eat pork it doesn't make me a Jew or a Muslim. If I choose not to eat beef it doesn't make me a Hindu.

Incorrect. As mentioned above, the word Christian means "to be Christ like". If you want to be like Jesus, you could correctly call yourself a Christian.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Christian = A person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Note - AND his teachings, not OR his teachings. You can live life in a christian way without believing in God but you cannot be a Christian.

This is just your definition against mine. I know of plenty of people who consider themselves as Christians, but do not believe in any of the miracles of the Bible.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I am a Christian, but do not consider myself "religious" in the slightest. Does that make sense to anyone here?

Absolutely. And a lot of Christians would be right with you there. But depends how you define 'Christian' - and who you think Jesus Christ really is/was.

As CS Lewis suggested, the New Testament accounts of his life only give three possible conclusions: nutter, evil to the core or who he said he was. Mad, bad or God ...

This is just your definition against mine. I know of plenty of people who consider themselves as Christians, but do not believe in any of the miracles of the Bible.

If you do not believe in the miracles attributed to Christ as described in the bible, then you are not a Christian.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you do believe in the miracles attributed to Christ as described in the bible, then you are not a Christian.

I assumed you missed out the word "not". And I disagree.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely. And a lot of Christians would be right with you there. But depends how you define 'Christian' - and who you think Jesus Christ really is/was.

As CS Lewis suggested, the New Testament accounts of his life only give three possible conclusions: nutter, evil to the core or who he said he was. Mad, bad or God ...

Yup, would agree with all of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports