Which Religion Is The Most Attractive

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I assumed you missed out the word "not". And I disagree.

Good point well made.

To be Christian is to believe in Christ, not just follow him. So you must believe in the miracles or you fundamentally do not believe in Christ and hence you are not a Christian.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good point well made.

To be Christian is to believe in Christ, not just follow him. So you must believe in the miracles or you fundamentally do not believe in Christ and hence you are not a Christian.

I don't agree. For the third time, the word Christian means "to be Christ like". Therefore I believe whether a someone is a Christian or not is mostly down to whether they try to follow his teachings.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
They are not Christians. They choose to follow some Christian practices.
I didn't say they were Christians. I said they were Christian Atheists. If they follow some religious practice that is enough to disprove the point I was actually trying to disprove, so thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
As CS Lewis suggested, the New Testament accounts of his life only give three possible
conclusions: nutter, evil to the core or who he said he was. Mad, bad or God ...

His exact words were...

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.

Mere Christianity, pages 40-41.

C.S. Lewis was a great Christian writer, not a Catholic but the chances
are that if he was alive today he would convert to Catholicism, like so
many of your compatriots did in the past: Newman, Benson, Chesterton,
Waugh, Knox - to name just a few.

As for being like Christ or, more accurately, imitating Christ, I wholeheartedly
recommend The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Absolutely. And a lot of Christians would be right with you there. But depends how you define 'Christian' - and who you think Jesus Christ really is/was.

As CS Lewis suggested, the New Testament accounts of his life only give three possible conclusions: nutter, evil to the core or who he said he was. Mad, bad or God ...
Unfortunately, with this as with most of the things he said, Lewis was talking through his hat.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Christian = A person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Note - AND his teachings, not OR his teachings. You can live life in a christian way without believing in God but you cannot be a Christian.
But you missed the other OR - "A person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Chris"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It never ceases to amaze me how someone can talk about a subject he obviously knows nothing about with such certainty.

You want to have a look at all his posts about Palace's transfer dealings!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I do not have an opinion on the OP's question, as I am agnostic. Religion is most certainly not required to life a full and happy life, being pleasant to those around you, and ensuring that you move through life with a smile on your face.

It's just a shame that almost all Religious people I have met consider my agnostic leanings are the sign of someone misguided and that I will be delivered into hell when I die.

Good luck with that. I'll be scattered to the four winds leaving a memory of a person who went through life "being nice".

Religion to me seems to be interpreting the teachings of someone a long time ago who had a book written about them.. Kind of like a biography. If that is indeed the case, then I would prefer to follow the teachings of William Blake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports