Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The forum software is crap

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well I assure you I'm not exaggerating. There are times when the reply box isn't greyed out, and when it is I click on 'advanced' and it works - bit today it's just not worked at all when I've tried to quote some posts (I've closed NSC, tried quoting a different post (which works), gone back to the first post and it's greyed out. The double post & leave page things are a common problem. My set-up is fairly standard, Win7 with a Firefox browser. I don't get a single issue on any other forum.

You say you get very few reports of issues, but there are a fair few in this thread.

No, no there aren't. There are, predominantly 2 issues being reported:

- Double posts
- Greyed out quick reply box

I've literally never seen the latter myself, but I'm not disputing that you're getting it. A quick search indicates it could be a specific advert which is loading which clashes with the native code of vBulletin. This could fit with me never seeing it as the ads are personalised, to a degree.

When you get it can you please make a note of the adverts that are being displayed on the page at the time - there's one at the top and 2 at the very bottom of the page. Post details here when you next can and I'll investigate.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well I assure you I'm not exaggerating. There are times when the reply box isn't greyed out, and when it is I click on 'advanced' and it works - bit today it's just not worked at all when I've tried to quote some posts (I've closed NSC, tried quoting a different post (which works), gone back to the first post and it's greyed out. The double post & leave page things are a common problem. My set-up is fairly standard, Win7 with a Firefox browser. I don't get a single issue on any other forum.

You say you get very few reports of issues, but there are a fair few in this thread.

One thing I've noticed from the greyed out box issue is if it happens it will always be on the same thread and the work around is to click "go advanced" , the disadvantage is not being able quote a post unless you copy and paste. Not sure if it is linked to the double posts issue but I haven't seen a grey box since the double post started to appear as a duplicate within the same post. The leave page script still occurs leading to a double post.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One thing I've noticed from the greyed out box issue is if it happens it will always be on the same thread and the work around is to click "go advanced" , the disadvantage is not being able quote a post unless you copy and paste. Not sure if it is linked to the double posts issue but I haven't seen a grey box since the double post started to appear as a duplicate within the same post. The leave page script still occurs leading to a double post.

Are you using IE?

The reports of the greyed out quick reply box I've read all seem to go back to IE. They also suggest you can resize either your browser window or the quick reply box itself (there is an adjuster in the bottom right) and that activates the QR box. Not ideal, I know, but I'd be interested to hear if these resolve the situation on a case by case basis for you.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It used to be the case that if a thread contained a poll, there was an icon to the left hand side that showed this without having to open the thread. This feature is now gone - I found it useful.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are you using IE?

The reports of the greyed out quick reply box I've read all seem to go back to IE. They also suggest you can resize either your browser window or the quick reply box itself (there is an adjuster in the bottom right) and that activates the QR box. Not ideal, I know, but I'd be interested to hear if these resolve the situation on a case by case basis for you.

No , I am using Google Chrome

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It used to be the case that if a thread contained a poll, there was an icon to the left hand side that showed this without having to open the thread. This feature is now gone - I found it useful.

That's not a lost feature, it's a symptom of me arsing about with thread icons more generally. I need to conclude that piece of 'work'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, no there aren't. There are, predominantly 2 issues being reported:
I wasn't suggesting there were many issues, I was saying there are a fair few reports (of the same issues).

When you get it can you please make a note of the adverts that are being displayed on the page at the time
Will do.

the work around is to click "go advanced"
As I said, that's the workaround I used, but it didn't work today - I got to the advanced tab and it was blank (without the posts I was quoting).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wasn't suggesting there were many issues, I was saying there are a fair few reports (of the same issues).

Will do.

As I said, that's the workaround I used, but it didn't work today - I got to the advanced tab and it was blank (without the posts I was quoting).

Please try both resizing your browser window and the quick reply box itself using the adjuster in the bottom right corner of the box.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When you get it can you please make a note of the adverts that are being displayed on the page at the time - there's one at the top and 2 at the very bottom of the page. Post details here when you next can and I'll investigate.
Ok, it seems I can re-create it at will. If I go to page 7 of the Oscar P thread, the reply box is greyed out. That was the page that I found trouble with this morning. I've just checked every other page on that thread, and all others are fine. Each time I go to page 7, the reply box is greyed out. Note - when clicking on advanced, that box is greyed out too.

I'm currently not seeing any adverts on NSC at all. Under tools I have something called Adblock Plus. But that's not causing a problem on other forums.

Please try both resizing your browser window and the quick reply box itself using the adjuster in the bottom right corner of the box.
Done, didn't help.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Are you using IE?

I use IE and I know nothing of this "greyed out quick reply box" that these people speak about ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ok, it seems I can re-create it at will. If I go to page 7 of the Oscar P thread, the reply box is greyed out. That was the page that I found trouble with this morning. I've just checked every other page on that thread, and all others are fine. Each time I go to page 7, the reply box is greyed out. Note - when clicking on advanced, that box is greyed out too.

How many posts per page are you on? 20?

1I'm currently not seeing any adverts on NSC at all. Under tools I have something called Adblock Plus. But that's not causing a problem on other forums.

You've just lost any goodwill you had.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm currently not seeing any adverts on NSC at all. Under tools I have something called Adblock Plus. But that's not causing a problem on other forums.

Done, didn't help.

You can get the adverts back by white listing NSC on Adblock Plus :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How many posts per page are you on? 20?
You've just lost any goodwill you had.
I'm sorry :blush: Although in my defence, I don't think I had any anyway. I think I argued with just about every mod in the other trial thread.

I think I installed the adblocker so I could watch streamed games which have ads in front of the footage.

Crofty

Sep 27, 2011
You should get them to call the chaps at the BBS..that is what your 'tech guys usually do I believe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Grey box (oooh eeeer missus) has returned over the last couple of days, having vanished soon after this threads first appearance.

'going advanced' is the best cure.

Chrome - 40 posts - full sig & avatar showing.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Been dire today for duplicate posts. Rather annoying, but still rather have a broken forum than no forum.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
right now there's some new wonkiness. when going into thread, the NSC logo is lost and colour scheme goes to a default (grey blue). everything seems to work fine, go back to "newposts" returns logo and scheme.

re the double posting, if it hasnt been suggested, is it possible its server rather than forum software? it occurs after a long delay to posting, as if theres a delay or timeout that causes the request to be resent/reprocessed somewhere.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
@Bozza You will sort it - I love double posting cos it shows two fold how much I disagree/agree with some of the plonkers on NSC. PS I forgive you :kiss:for my InfrACtioN cos as you said you didnt know what was going on:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here