Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The forum software is crap

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's not a performance issue at all. We're hosted in the Rackspace cloud where we have all but unlimited resources to cope with user demand. It's how we've peaked at c3,500 users online concurrently and how we had over 2,600 on last week during the transfer window with the site still zipping along for everyone.

There's clearly a bug in there somewhere. If you Google around the subject it has hit a lot of forums running vBulletin. I'm sure there are solutions out there, but nothing popped out at me when I last looked. I just need a good chunk of time to spend on it - I hope to get that this week. I will get to the bottom of it because it bugs the hell out of me too!

Thanks for the reply , lets hope vBulletin are going to resolve it or suggest a workaround if it is also affecting other forums so they have to be aware of it.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Lets be honest, I haven't seen any forum better than a vBulletin one and NSC is by far the best football forum, in terms of user friendliness, although possible not in terms of content!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for the reply , lets hope vBulletin are going to resolve it or suggest a workaround if it is also affecting other forums so must be aware of it.

I'm sure there's a resolution out there, I just need to find it. When I have a few hours free I'll be onto it. Right now I have to sort out the vBookie table, place the market for Hull up and deal with Google who have, once again, threatened to pull ads off here.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and deal with Google who have, once again, threatened to pull ads off here.
That's not good. Are we swearing too much?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's not good. Are we swearing too much?

No, it's old stuff. I don't know how their automated software works but every time I get a warning - the last one was in November - it relates to stuff that is years old. I have no idea why it wasn't picked up before.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Seriously. Has Bozza sabotaged the software on this forum in favour of Apple, it seems that every post I make using Android is duplicted or triplicated recently.

Blooby typical. This time it only submitted once.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The software is in a mess this morning. Trying to quote people mostly results in a greyed out reply box.
Up until the change a few months ago there were never any problems, now it's all a mess.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bozza, with reference to another thread, if the club changed their colours to red would you rename the company Red Seagull!!!!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The software is in a mess this morning. Trying to quote people mostly results in a greyed out reply box.
Up until the change a few months ago there were never any problems, now it's all a mess.

The double post issue still occurs , the only difference is both are now appearing in the same post.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The double post issue still occurs , the only difference is both are now appearing in the same post.

I am on the case, just slowly.

I've been deactivating various plugins one by one to see if the removal of any particular one causes the double posts to stop. None have yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been deactivating various plugins one by one to see if the removal of any particular one causes the double posts to stop. None have yet.
Are plugins a big deal of NSC? If not, you could disable the lot to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't re-instate them all, and if it does, reinstate them in bunches to find the cause. Sorry, I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs here - I guess I'm just surprised how badly the whole forum has been performing for quite a while.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are plugins a big deal of NSC? If not, you could disable the lot to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't re-instate them all, and if it does, reinstate them in bunches to find the cause. Sorry, I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs here - I guess I'm just surprised how badly the whole forum has been performing for quite a while.

You're either being very unlucky, have a strange technical setup or are exaggerating. I get very few reports of issues and I am getting absolutely nothing untoward myself, other than the occasional double post.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've had the "stop running scripts" window pop up a couple of times at work today, but nothing which makes the forum unusable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're either being very unlucky, have a strange technical setup or are exaggerating. I get very few reports of issues and I am getting absolutely nothing untoward myself, other than the occasional double post.
Well I assure you I'm not exaggerating. There are times when the reply box isn't greyed out, and when it is I click on 'advanced' and it works - bit today it's just not worked at all when I've tried to quote some posts (I've closed NSC, tried quoting a different post (which works), gone back to the first post and it's greyed out. The double post & leave page things are a common problem. My set-up is fairly standard, Win7 with a Firefox browser. I don't get a single issue on any other forum.

You say you get very few reports of issues, but there are a fair few in this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here