Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wrong. Nobody gave York City fans a second thought when the pitch was invaded and the crossbar snapped in 1996. They'd made a four hour journey for 9 minutes of football.
Fair point. But inconveniencing a small sprinkling of football fans on a day out, compared with bollocksing up the working day of thousands and thousands of people just trying to go about their daily lives is not a likewise comparison. The principal behind it may be the same, but its a stretch to conflate the two.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair point. But inconveniencing a small sprinkling of football fans on a day out, compared with bollocksing up the working day of thousands and thousands of people just trying to go about their daily lives is not a likewise comparison. The principal behind it may be the same, but its a stretch to conflate the two.
Not really - you're doing the conflating here, not me. Specifically we are talking about an incident at a theatre. That affects, what, 300 people? About the same as York's away following probably.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
just because you can't prove something beyond any doubt, doesn't mean it didn't happen trig
Sure, but I don't think it's generally believed that women got the vote because Emily died

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
so how do we cajole, "the middle east", into, "closing the fields as we speak", i'm all ears trig?
With current technology (for alternatives) it's simply not possible. Middle-eastern countries have vast wealth and power because of their oil, there's nothing we can do to stop them using every last drop, as long as it's making them a profit. Of course if a cheap and clean alternative source of energy was found, that would change things, as it simply wouldn't be worth the cost of drilling for the oil, but that doesn't look like happening either.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
No real hope of making any kind of a difference - see all the previous posts of examples of protest which did make a difference (eventually). You'd think a supporter of Brighton and Hove Albion would get this.

No solution - the answer is to invest heavily in renewable energy which based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge would be cheaper than fossil fuels in the medium to long term. Onshore wind for example being significantly cheaper than fossil fuels - happy for others who understand this better than me to contribute. Individuals can make a difference - flying less and eating less meat for example. I appreciate that might not be very appealing to some people but it has to be better than rising levels and everything that goes with that. Again you'd think those living in the Brighton/Sussex area might get this, particularly those living in areas like Shoreham and Worthing, large areas of which are only a few metres above sea-level.

The only sensible argument against dramatically cutting CO2 emissions from what I've read is that it might already be too late to make a difference.
I think you missed my point a little bit and I've since thought of what I think is potentially a better comparison. If our protests in the War Years were because we weren't in the Premier League, there would have been scorn for our behaviour and absolutely no public support whatsoever. What we were protesting about was the arseholery going on to destroy our club and strip it of assets. We were clear what we wanted and why and those protests are typically successful.

What isn't particularly successful is demanding an enormous societal change happen immediately.

Renewable energy is being invested in, the infrastructure for recharging ports for cars is growing across the country to make buying an electric vehicle more appealing and am I not right in saying that new-builds (or the vast majority?) are electric only so don't use gas which will reduce the consumption over time anyway.

They're protesting because they want to cause trouble and I'm not ok with that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure, but I don't think it's generally believed that women got the vote because Emily died
it’s strange that it always gets mentioned in political history when it was such an insignificant event.
Mind you, it only affected women.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it’s strange that it always gets mentioned in political history when it was such an insignificant event.
Mind you, it only affected women.
Only affected women? I've had to put up with this shit government you lot keep voting for!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only affected women? I've had to put up with this shit government you lot keep voting for!
Yes, of course I voted for this lot. Every political thread I’ve ever contributed to will tell you that. :facepalm:
I don’t know many women who have. It seems to be blokes who like their policies. It’s certainly more men who attack Greta Thunberg.

Now, you see, we’ve moved on from climate change, to protest to sex wars.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Comparing a protest about a football club getting shafted at the football clubs’ games is not the same at all as some random nut job protesting and ruining sporting events or people travelling to a funeral or day out etc - the two aren’t linked the same. No comparison here.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
They're not trying to save the earth. They're seeking attention and using a "cause" to do so. These people have absolutely no right to disrupt other people's lives for their "cause". They have no right to block motorways, no right to damage snooker tables and no right to prevent trains being able to run. This criminal behaviour should have longer term consequences for these few extremists who think they're more important than the people they're disrupting.

Absolutely call the cops, criminal behaviour happened and they should and will be punished.
Is there a list then of what we are and aren't allowed to protest about? Perhaps it's kept somewhere in Tufton Street.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
I think you missed my point a little bit and I've since thought of what I think is potentially a better comparison. If our protests in the War Years were because we weren't in the Premier League, there would have been scorn for our behaviour and absolutely no public support whatsoever. What we were protesting about was the arseholery going on to destroy our club and strip it of assets. We were clear what we wanted and why and those protests are typically successful.

What isn't particularly successful is demanding an enormous societal change happen immediately.

Renewable energy is being invested in, the infrastructure for recharging ports for cars is growing across the country to make buying an electric vehicle more appealing and am I not right in saying that new-builds (or the vast majority?) are electric only so don't use gas which will reduce the consumption over time anyway.

They're protesting because they want to cause trouble and I'm not ok with that.
We are investing in renewable energy - far too little and far too slowly. I think you're seriously underestimating the severity and scale of CO2 emissions and climate change. I get it's difficult to know what to believe in the media with regards to "research", evidence etc and perhaps the sources I read are wrong or overlying pessimistic. However there was a recent paper by Matt England in Nature for example which said ocean currents are set to seriously slow/collapse this century. I know some scientists turn rogue and starting using their influence to promote agendas which don't follow evidence (Andrew Wakefield and the MMR vaccine comes to mind) but all the climate scientists/oceanographers etc think a catastrophe is on it's way as far as I can tell. Are you ok with that? Happy to be corrected with reasonable evidence.

Some of these Just Stop Oil protesters have received prison sentences. Do you honesty believe this is the action of people who just want to cause trouble? They are putting their own wellbeing at significant risk.

Apologies for being a miserable bastard.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It contributed, without a doubt. It would have brought the issue into focus in the minds of the British people.

Protestors don't throw themselves in front of race horses unless they have good reason.
earing in mind that Emily Davidson had a return ticket and left no suicide note, the reason she threw herself in front of the King's horse is perhaps because she wanted to pin a ribbon to its bridle and didn't realise how hard that is to do with half a ton of horse galloping at 40 mph.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Comparing a protest about a football club getting shafted at the football clubs’ games is not the same at all as some random nut job protesting and ruining sporting events or people travelling to a funeral or day out etc - the two aren’t linked the same. No comparison here.
This government doesn’t care. Join in a protest, cause a disruption and you can get arrested, and put in prison.
The cause is irrelevant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
earing in mind that Emily Davidson had a return ticket and left no suicide note, the reason she threw herself in front of the King's horse is perhaps because she wanted to pin a ribbon to its bridle and didn't realise how hard that is to do with half a ton of horse galloping at 40 mph.
Yeah, women are thick aren’t they?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really - you're doing the conflating here, not me. Specifically we are talking about an incident at a theatre. That affects, what, 300 people? About the same as York's away following probably.
I was referring to the various protests on the M25 and the QE2 bridge, by the same group, which caused massive disruption to thousands of people.

The snooker thing was minor in comparison I agree, although gained huge coverage which is of course the whole point.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This government doesn’t care. Join in a protest, cause a disruption and you can get arrested, and put in prison.
The cause is irrelevant.
Rightly so if you do something
The cause is irrelevant.
if it’s against the law, of course you will and should be. If it’s not against the law you won’t - it’s really that simple. This isn’t Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here