Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Reports basically confirming they are “protestors for hire”, as most of us suspected. They’ve been spotted at LGBTQ rallies, Black Lives Matter and vegan “meat is murder” campaigns. Mercenaries who care no more about the environment than anyone else - no different to the government, only after a pay day.
entrepreneurs! what's not to like

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
On television with a thousand witnesses. You’d hardly need to go to court to get convicted of, at best Aggravated GBH, at worst, murder.

Vandalism is vandalism, it’s like the blocking roads etc is all for a ‘good cause’ until someone in your family misses out on critical medical treatment because of the ‘peaceful’ protest

I asked the supporters of these kinds of acts in one of my earlier posts, where is the line drawn?

For example one of these JSO protestors/vigilantes tomorrow goes to a local graveyard and smashes up the lot, paints just stop oil on the church etc is that too far? Or is it just acceptable that because you perceive the cause to be a good one, that any action is for the greater good?

This is what I can’t get my head around, somewhere a line needs to be drawn on what is acceptable, you may laugh but I wonder how many people at the snooker yesterday will have some kind of PTSD from what they saw, for a split second I bet they thought the guy was about to blow himself up or something… I was watching it live and I thought it so I dread to think if I was there.
Hope they put them in a cell and throw away the key. Act of Terrorism. Glue Themselves to an MP fair enough but spoiling and disrupting the general public is a no no.

Bunch of hypocritical w@#&ers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hope they put them in a cell and throw away the key. Act of Terrorism. Glue Themselves to an MP fair enough but spoiling and disrupting the general public is a no no.

Bunch of hypocritical w@#&ers.
Brighton fans have done exactly that in the past, as mentioned several times in this thread.

You have a very low opinion of Brighton fans.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We are our own problems here in Lancing .

Chaotic scenes from a few minutes ago here in West Sussex as crowds fail to gather at dramatic roadside protest.

Call the cops!!

66CF0469-F5DD-4C24-A841-DA9B8C90CDC0.jpeg
7C45ECDD-542F-45A7-90D7-073B451D89F4.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thank you, I do understand what a protest is. I just think they're protesting nothing and causing disruption for no reason. They're obviously people who can't function in society so they're just angry and wanting to lash out, whatever the reason/"cause". They have no purpose and they have no solutions. They're just shouting at clouds but trying to ruin people's day whilst doing it and that sort of selfishness doesn't sit well with me.

The animal rights protests at the National were more than fair enough. They have a cause that they're genuinely passionate about and had something to say. There's a big difference between that and the prats of Just Stop Oil.

Yes I do and I've posted on that subject many, many times. I think the railways in this country are a disgrace because they're "for profit" and are foreign owned. The railways should be British owned and run and should be run closer to cost and any profits made should be invested in the network, properly staffing stations, etc. These are totally different subjects.
Ooooh the drama!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Basically like protesting about the Goldstone. Loads of pointless noise, didn’t save the ground so waste of everyone’s time really.
Good point. A youngster sent to prison, graffiti on the walls, a football game disrupted by breaking the goal posts, and letting down the poor York City fans, and disrupting their lives, shown on the BBC for all the world to see what appalling criminals the Brighton fans were.
Later the disruptions to Brighton traffic along the seafront.

Just what did it achieve?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Peaceful protests, as in a march along tge seafront that was organised and the public were aware of it happening.
It was still disruptive and I also read complaints in the Argus that we should all be locked up, because traffic was disrupted. Nasty football fans.

Btw new government legislation won't even let you do that now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They're not trying to save the earth. They're seeking attention and using a "cause" to do so. These people have absolutely no right to disrupt other people's lives for their "cause". They have no right to block motorways, no right to damage snooker tables and no right to prevent trains being able to run. This criminal behaviour should have longer term consequences for these few extremists who think they're more important than the people they're disrupting.

Absolutely call the cops, criminal behaviour happened and they should and will be punished.
All of them, every single one of them? A huge generalisation.
As pointed out before, a Brighton fan went to prison for six months for a first offence (unheard of) instead of a caution, so by your reckoning every Brighton fan should've served time for protesting. Invading the West Stand forcing the directors to flee? Shocking.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The overarching point here is that these protests are just a symptom of the environmental crisis we face. The more we mess up the world, the more people will get angry and do silly things.

I don't believe for a second that this protest will do anything to change minds, it is possibly counter-destructive to the cause. Petty vandalism, as you say. But it's what desperate people do, and the human race as a whole is getting more and more desperate.

These protests are a symptom, not a solution - and without real solutions they will just get more common.
Pretty much this. ^
Aside from that, surely every single person must be a little disturbed that our freedom to protest is being eroded - drastically?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
All of them, every single one of them? A huge generalisation.
As pointed out before, a Brighton fan went to prison for six months for a first offence (unheard of) instead of a caution, so by your reckoning every Brighton fan should've served time for protesting. Invading the West Stand forcing the directors to flee? Shocking.
Contextually there's a big difference between the War Years behaviour and the "Just Stop Oil" people though, isn't there. Not a question, a statement of fact. We had a clear message, a clear idea what outcome we wanted and all the activities were targeted toward the aim. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember anyone blocking a motorway to try and get attention for our cause, or other random acts of rebellion for the sake of it.

"Just Stop Oil" have a concept with no solution and no real hope of making any kind of a difference. It really does come across as being a group of social misfits with nothing better to do just wanting to cause as much disruption as they can and they would do so for any reason at all, as proven by the previous posts posting evidence that they're for hire.

I'm not anti-protesting, I fully support the Doctors and Nurses for example. But I am very anti-"Just Stop Oil" and those Extinction Rebellion idiots.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Contextually there's a big difference between the War Years behaviour and the "Just Stop Oil" people though, isn't there. Not a question, a statement of fact. We had a clear message, a clear idea what outcome we wanted and all the activities were targeted toward the aim. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember anyone blocking a motorway to try and get attention for our cause, or other random acts of rebellion for the sake of it.

"Just Stop Oil" have a concept with no solution and no real hope of making any kind of a difference. It really does come across as being a group of social misfits with nothing better to do just wanting to cause as much disruption as they can and they would do so for any reason at all, as proven by the previous posts posting evidence that they're for hire.

I'm not anti-protesting, I fully support the Doctors and Nurses for example. But I am very anti-"Just Stop Oil" and those Extinction Rebellion idiots.
Doctors and nurses aren’t protesting, they are striking. That is their right to recourse .

Through a deliberate coordination of government legislation and corporate law, there is no right to recourse for people who want to end the total reliance on fossil fuels. And that’s why you get disparate, annoying and desperate actions such as people glueing themselves to motorways or throwing turmeric around a snooker table.

If there was a coherent, achievable pathway to the realistic reduction of fossil fuel reliance, these things would happen less and less.

But there isn’t. Instead they are opening new coal mines.

Want to see unnecessary disruption? Go and visit a colliery that’s under construction.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was fine though when we did it....
yes, everyone supports those protests they agree with, anti those they disagree. there were some significant differences though, like targeted action at the cause of the protest, and a clear, achievable aim.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

No real hope of making any kind of a difference - see all the previous posts of examples of protest which did make a difference (eventually). You'd think a supporter of Brighton and Hove Albion would get this.

No solution - the answer is to invest heavily in renewable energy which based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge would be cheaper than fossil fuels in the medium to long term. Onshore wind for example being significantly cheaper than fossil fuels - happy for others who understand this better than me to contribute. Individuals can make a difference - flying less and eating less meat for example. I appreciate that might not be very appealing to some people but it has to be better than rising sea levels and everything that goes with that. Again you'd think those living in the Brighton/Sussex area might get this, particularly those living in areas like Shoreham and Worthing, large areas of which are only a few metres above sea-level.

The only sensible argument against dramatically cutting CO2 emissions from what I've read is that it might already be too late to make a difference.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here