Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A genuine question to nsc.

If an Amex game was abandoned after 30 minutes due to a climate protestor vandalising the pitch by a goal, would you:

a) Applaud the protestor and go home happy?
b) Chant “w@nker, w@nker” and be pissed off?
c) Be mildly disappointed, then downing warm beer in oil-based beakers on the concourses?

[With the score 1-0 to the Stripes].
The York City riot: When the world woke up to the problems at Brighton

Well thank goodness the vast majority on here would never do any such thing :wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My sixpence:

What do the activists believe they will achieve? Awareness? Hmmm, I think everyone on the planet is aware. Change? Again, people are trying to change. At Political and personal levels.

If it’s therefore about doing more, faster, then that’s the fallacy. 8billion people acting differently (and majority selfishly, whether by choice or necessity) means it’s never going to happen in time.

Therefore we ought to embrace climate change. It’s inevitable and beyond doubt. The solution is to accept it and enjoy your time alive to the max because basically you can’t do anything to stop this juggernaut. That time passed, we’ve repeatedly failed to achieve every deadline and will continue to. Future generations would have been equally inept as everyone alive since science first indicated there’s a problem. They’d have acted no differently.

Live. Be selfish. It won’t make any difference even if you didn’t. Act in your own interests now. Because life’s too short and not enough people cared beyond tokenism (aka ‘what did you do during the world war daddy?’ ‘I signed a petition son, cos that stopped ‘em invading Poland…’)
along these lines, there's an alternative view that the best path forward is to engage in large scale carbon capture and storage. since according to the AGW hypothesis, the damage is already being done, we'll need to do this anyway. so why not wind down the rhetoric, reduce fossil fuels where sensible, end the futile and costly net zero goal, and push for capture tech. to many agendas right now, probably will be were we end up in a decade.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It contributed, without a doubt. It would have brought the issue into focus in the minds of the British people.

Protestors don't throw themselves in front of race horses unless they have good reason.

That happened in 1913 though.

A long time before votes for woman came along.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Some people at political level are not trying to change, as there’s too much money involved in lobbying, donations and power.

That’s why these people are protesting.

That’s why I posted proof of Britain having the highest energy bills in the world.
It makes no difference either way TB though, anyone with power won’t change and anyone who assumes power won’t change. This repeated 280+ times/countries in world and…that’s climate change in a nutshell! Embrace it, ain’t nothing so about it. In a juggernaut you’re not driving so enjoy the ride instead.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Imagine in the 1830s or whenever it was when people in Britain (or whichever country was first) were trying to ban slavery. "There's no point, it will just carry on everywhere else" would be a similar argument to what your making. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly was people profiting from the trade did argue.

Someone/a country has to act and lead by example and to argue otherwise is pathetic in my opinion. No I don't expect Britain's selfish government/MPs do it but it's better to try to get them to act than do nothing. Do you have grandchildren?
This is on an entirely different scale though. And not localised. You need an entire planet to row together. The evidence overwhelming too is to expect a heated climate, mass extinction, collapsing ecosystems and civilisation. Just a matter of when, not if. Btw, if you’ve got grandchildren, you’re kind of part of the problem in a perverse sort of way. The solution is therefore to stop trying, all efforts have collectively failed and will so until doomsday arrives. Stop worrying about 50years time, most of us will be gone by then and forget legacy as I said. Anyone left will definitely curse us all for what we did but I’d argue they’d be no different. Getting 8billion to act selflessly was never in the script. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is either a fantasist, comedian or liar. Thems the facts.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
My sixpence:

What do the activists believe they will achieve? Awareness? Hmmm, I think everyone on the planet is aware. Change? Again, people are trying to change. At Political and personal levels.

If it’s therefore about doing more, faster, then that’s the fallacy. 8billion people acting differently (and majority selfishly, whether by choice or necessity) means it’s never going to happen in time.

Therefore we ought to embrace climate change. It’s inevitable and beyond doubt. The solution is to accept it and enjoy your time alive to the max because basically you can’t do anything to stop this juggernaut. That time passed, we’ve repeatedly failed to achieve every deadline and will continue to. Future generations would have been equally inept as everyone alive since science first indicated there’s a problem. They’d have acted no differently.

Live. Be selfish. It won’t make any difference even if you didn’t. Act in your own interests now. Because life’s too short and not enough people cared beyond tokenism (aka ‘what did you do during the world war daddy?’ ‘I signed a petition son, cos that stopped ‘em invading Poland…’)
That's a bit over the top. The experts I have seen have said a 2C increase in global temperatures is still possible to keep at that minimum before gradually cooling down afterwards. It will take a lot more than a 2C increase in global temperatures to wipe out the human species.
We managed to heal the ozone layer due to CFC gasses.
It may take a few more weather related disasters that kill thousands to speed up the process, but humans are too clever to go instinct like the dinosaurs.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's a bit over the top. The experts I have seen have said a 2C increase in global temperatures is still possible to keep at that minimum before gradually cooling down afterwards. It will take a lot more than a 2c increase in global temperatures to wipe out the human species.
It may take a few more weather related disasters that kill thousands to speed up the process, but humans are too clever to go instinct like the dinosaurs.
That is pure delusion. I’m not being rude btw, it’s vain hope we will be able to prevent I get that. People need to believe it’s still possible or most will go crazy. But it really isn’t going to happen, we’ve been on ‘the brink’ for decades which is another lie. In footballing terms the final whistle went ages ago, we’re not doing nearly enough fast enough. Nor did we. Because we can’t act collectively, it’s against our nature. 8billion doing everything (everything!) possible at once. We’re re-arranging deck chairs whilst the water pours in at best. So sit back, listen to the band and enjoy a cigar and a g&t for as long as you can. It’s less stressful and frankly, what the majority are doing / did anyway :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's a bit over the top. The experts I have seen have said a 2C increase in global temperatures is still possible to keep at that minimum before gradually cooling down afterwards. It will take a lot more than a 2C increase in global temperatures to wipe out the human species.
Yeah, us humans is well to clevers to make us selves extincted.

91D3F2FC-9D8F-4E0C-8FEA-716616ABD970.jpeg

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We are investing in renewable energy - far too little and far too slowly. I think you're seriously underestimating the severity and scale of CO2 emissions and climate change. I get it's difficult to know what to believe in the media with regards to "research", evidence etc and perhaps the sources I read are wrong or overlying pessimistic. However there was a recent paper by Matt England in Nature for example which said ocean currents are set to seriously slow/collapse this century. I know some scientists turn rogue and starting using their influence to promote agendas which don't follow evidence (Andrew Wakefield and the MMR vaccine comes to mind) but all the climate scientists/oceanographers etc think a catastrophe is on it's way as far as I can tell. Are you ok with that? Happy to be corrected with reasonable evidence.

Some of these Just Stop Oil protesters have received prison sentences. Do you honesty believe this is the action of people who just want to cause trouble? They are putting their own wellbeing at significant risk.

Apologies for being a miserable bastard.
To be clear, I don't doubt the planet is in dreadful condition and it's human caused. The countries who benefit financially from the sale of oil aren't my favourites so I'm more than happy to see them and the oil companies generally lose money and eventually become redundant. I'm not questioning the need to totally change our mindset as a species. I think it's very, very clear the future is bleak and contains more and more extreme weather, loss of human life as a direct result and significant changes of climate all across the world.

But Just Stop Oil really aren't part of the solution. They're just causing a different problem and, frankly, probably turning people against their cause through their antics. I honestly believe a lot of those people will be quite happy to be locked away at tax payer expense for a spell. Sadly, there's a good chance it's better than any alternative options for them, for whatever reason(s).

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
This is on an entirely different scale though. And not localised. You need an entire planet to row together. The evidence overwhelming too is to expect a heated climate, mass extinction, collapsing ecosystems and civilisation. Just a matter of when, not if. Btw, if you’ve got grandchildren, you’re kind of part of the problem in a perverse sort of way. The solution is therefore to stop trying, all efforts have collectively failed and will so until doomsday arrives. Stop worrying about 50years time, most of us will be gone by then and forget legacy as I said. Anyone left will definitely curse us all for what we did but I’d argue they’d be no different. Getting 8billion to act selflessly was never in the script. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is either a fantasist, comedian or liar. Thems the facts.
Slavery was a fairly global industry I would say. I don't have grandchildren (or children) so so far I'm not part of the problem. This is a really weird discussion. Some posters can't see what the protesters are upset about and think it's terrible that some sporting events have been disrupted and roads blocked. Others like yourself acknowledge mass extinction is likely but there's no point protesting and we should all just carry on and enjoy ourselves. Jesus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
At least it was relevant to the actual event! That said the paint that paints the snooker balls is probably oil based I suppose. :laugh:
Are you happy paying hundreds of pounds a month for gas and electricity?
Are you happy there are families using food banks because rent and bills leave nothing for food?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It makes no difference either way TB though, anyone with power won’t change and anyone who assumes power won’t change. This repeated 280+ times/countries in world and…that’s climate change in a nutshell! Embrace it, ain’t nothing so about it. In a juggernaut you’re not driving so enjoy the ride instead.
Other political parties have said they will concentrate on renewable energy, and tax the oil giants. Read it for yourself, but then you’ve already said you’re not bothered.
Nothing I say, will change your mind, so I’ll no longer bother.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Climate change is often used as a more palatable, easy to sell cause than, say, wanting everyone to become vegan because they find the idea of eating meat repugnant.
The two go hand in hand though.

Eating meat is repugnant and meat is a leading cause of climate change.

It is also the largest cause of animal abuse in the world.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was referring to the various protests on the M25 and the QE2 bridge, by the same group, which caused massive disruption to thousands of people.

The snooker thing was minor in comparison I agree, although gained huge coverage which is of course the whole point.
Massive energy bills affects millions, including children and wrinkles.
We are being fleeced to line politicians pockets, and oil billionaires.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
If they never, ever fly, or use a car without a petrol or diesel facet, or eat meat … then they are in deed virtuous.
Bottom dredging fishing releases as much CO2 annually as the entire aviation industry.

Animal agriculture and fishing is one of the biggest contributors to climate change and habitat loss worldwide.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Or used in manufacturing/distribution of their product, like the shoes and clothes they wear, their glasses or contact lenses, their hair product and the packaging it came in, the hundreds of miles it travelled by lorry to arrive on shop floors… the uniforms the staff are wearing when they sell them the product, the manufacturing techniques used to produce the currency they pay with……
Ah yes because if we can't get perfection why bother right?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Just a reminder that every post here, the operation of this forum, the electricity used to power your device - all of these things are contributing to climate change. That sofa you’re sat on/bed you’re laid in/computer you’re sat at? Produced by means which contribute to climate change.
That's an awfully good strawman argument you've got there, it would probably be the best scarecrow around if you stuck it in a field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here