Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] North stand embarrassing!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Considering how good we have been at playing out from back was a little surprised but dont think they were being critical . Keepers awareness was poor compared to Steele and as midfielders were marked he always looked for Ferguson who was also marked and ball so often came back. So often Veltman was free who he ignored and this was what frustrated some.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We don't play with the forwards running from side to side like blue-arsed flies. One runs back towards goal at pace in a diagonal to collect the ball from the keeper, but we kept losing those battles as the man to man marker chased the ball and player down. I think they really outfoxed us for a while. I'll watch MOTD with interest to see what we did to break the cycle of rinse and repeat.
Yes, but that was the problem, neither barely moved. Ferguson waited for it every time, he needed his arms out, for starters instead of trying to roll the player every time. The fact he also didn’t come forward, also shut the space off behind him, where Adingra was supposed to run for a longer pass (see US tournament). It was poor by both Welbeck and Ferguson.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, but that was the problem, neither barely moved. Ferguson waited for it every time, he needed his arms out, for starters instead of trying to roll the player every time. The fact he also didn’t come forward, also shut the space off behind him, where Adingra was supposed to run for a longer pass (see US tournament). It was poor by both Welbeck and Ferguson.
Yes, that's true.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seemed to me that Ferguson’s touch was a bit off (well, he’s been ill) and maybe he and Welbeck are just a bit similar for that approach today. Instead of a natural number 10, we had two number 9s and there was a gigantic hole between those and the two, normally man-marked central midfielders. Appeared the plan was for one striker to drop deep suddenly and accept that long hard pass from the keeper. If it worked it would have put us 4 on 4 every time but the control and/or flicks never quite came off. Second half I think it helped that Fati is clearly much more comfortable dropping deep into that number 10 role, laying it off then bombing forward.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Get over yourself - it's football, some fans let frustration get the better of them if things aren't going to plan. Some fans get over excited when things are going their way. Some are more passive, some are more vocal. It's been the same since the dawn of football. Its all just panto at the end of the day anyway eh

Also in the NS alcohol talking.

el punal

Moaning at our build up play, not getting behind the team, first to moan about others not singing. Pathetic.
Shame then you weren’t at the Millwall home game when we lost 1-0 in the death throes of Hyypia’s reign, or when we lost 5-0 to Bournemouth and then 2-0 to Cardiff in short order. Had you been you wouldn’t have even considered starting this thread.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Yeah, they were waiting for it.

Pretty sure when we had a situation like this last season, Mac or Caicedo would drop in to make an angle, or Steele would chip it to Pervis or Mitoma.

Options just didn't seem to be there.
In the first 30 minutes we didn’t seem to have any of the midfield drop in as a pivot in front of the CBs. The tactic appeared to be to create a void in the middle of the pitch to play through and in to one of the forwards, however, as mentioned in other posts this didn’t really work today. Ball retention was hugely improved when the approach changed in the second half.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I’m unwell, and missed my first home game for years. Watched a dodgy US Stream and I’m sad to report that the frustration of the crowd was quite apparent and picked up by the commentators. I recall a comment about the higher expectation of our fans now.

Bournemouth aren’t the first team to stand off us and not press us at the back but it is the first time we didn’t seem to have a plan B/C/D etc, until the second half. We really didn’t help VB in my opinion. We were very static and weren’t giving him any alternative options. It was painful to watch him play the same through ball over and over and it fail again and again.

Last edited:

el punal

I’m unwell, and missed my first home game for years. Watched a dodgy US Stream and I’m sad to report that the frustration of the crowd was quite apparent and picked up by the commentators. I recall a comment about the higher expectation of our fans now.

Bournemouth aren’t the first team to stand off us and not press us at the back but it is the first time we didn’t seem to have a plan B/C/D etc, until the second half. We really didn’t help VB in my opinion. We were very static and weren’t giving him any alternative options. It was painful to watch him play the same through ball over and over again and it fail again and again.
But, I would argue that we did in fact have a plan B/C/D. Okay, it did take the halftime break to change things for the better but at least the problems were recognised and rectified. No harm done, vast improvement in the second half with a comprehensive 3-1 win and three points.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not impressed with some parts of the crowd whistling Bart when he’s doing what the manager wants him to do . Yes he made a mistake with their goal , he was too close to their player & possibly didn’t see him but that doesn’t mean he should throw the managers plan out of the window . If you noticed when the goal went in , Dunk went over to him and patted him on the head , that’s not the actions of an annoyed captain .

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Is the issue because the tickets are the cheapest so you get people who want to go to the football in the cheapest area and not necessarily people who want to go to football, jump about and sing all match? Away support has always been better for us which feels like that's because it's real fans and not just followers. If you sit in the north, read this and are offended, I'm probably on the right track.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Our keeper pissed me right off with his "come and get the ball" attitude.......wasted so much time in the first half !
You realise he is following RDZ’s instructions exactly, don’t you?

I find it utterly astonishing how many people STILL don’t understand our tactics. They work on this stuff day in, day out, and it’s got us to the Europa League and 3rd in the Premier League. And yet some people seem to think we should just completely abandon it and try something different when it hasn’t worked 20 minutes into a game. It’s incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here