Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Boxing Day football [moved to Tue. December 18th]

Longfellow

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks to The Large One for:-

I'm told 'hopefully, by the end of this week...'.

Just thinking on a bit having seen the re-quote of Papa Lazarou:-

Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou
Snow machines, and large industrial freezer units stationed all round the site. Or, just build the bloody monorail - we all know it's the solution to all of this.

Does anyone have any idea of the likely cost (plus any allowances you like for inflation and overspend) of a monorail from say The Level to the Amex/universities? Perhaps the £1million plus to be spent on reconfiguring The Level would be better spent on a monorail terminus!

The Coalition government threatened to spend money on infrastructure projects - how far down the list would this monorail be? Are any EU grants or Lottery funding available for such projects?

PS I would not expect the monorail to be up and running for Boxing Day 2012 but wondered about a timescale if the money was available.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Snow machines, and large industrial freezer units stationed all round the site. Or, just build the bloody monorail - we all know it's the solution to all of this.

Does anyone have any idea of the likely cost (plus any allowances you like for inflation and overspend) of a monorail from say The Level to the Amex/universities? Perhaps the £1million plus to be spent on reconfiguring The Level would be better spent on a monorail terminus!

The Coalition government threatened to spend money on infrastructure projects - how far down the list would this monorail be? Are any EU grants or Lottery funding available for such projects?

PS I would not expect the monorail to be up and running for Boxing Day 2012 but wondered about a timescale if the money was available.

The amount the WCML/VT cockup cost the government would have probably paid for the monorail :facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

According to http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/light-rail/green-light-for-light-rail.pdf a 'light rail' scheme would cost ~£20million per mile.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
And the rest. See below.

The problem is monorails are expensive because they run elevated on structures. And the land underneath them is effectively sterilised. Which either means no traffic on the Lewes Road in places or extensive property acquisition and demolition. They only really work in a city centre or new business district as a distributor of people. They don't work carrying large volumes of people in a linear corridor. That's what A TRAIN does best. Much more effective to upgrade the signalling and platform lengths of the existing rail line.

PG

Table 1.
Urban Monorails:
System installation Cost
Cost per Mile ($ Millions, 2002)

Chiba (Japan): Monorail (extension)

Jacksonville: Skyway (new)

Kitakyushu (Japan): Monorail (new)

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) (new)

Las Vegas (LVMC Project, new)

Newark: Monorail AGT (new)

Okinawa (Japan): Monorail (new)

Average

[Sources: Capital Metro, Rapid Transit Project, ADraft B Milestone 2 Executive Summary: Urban Transit Vehicles@, 1 October 2001; Steve Arrington, Jacksonville Transportation Authority, 12 October 2001; Leroy Demery, Jr., May 2002; Monorail Malaysia, news release, 23 April 2001; Jacob Snow, AThe Las Vegas Monorail@, Monorail Society website, 2002/11/02. Calculations by LRP]

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What would it take for the club - or anyone - to get a football service running from Brighton - Falmer - Lewes on Boxing Day? Aside from a wallet the size of Belgium?

A wallet the size of Germany !!! If they paid then it could be done, a shuttle service running from Bton - Lewes - Bton would not be a problem as long as there was no works scheduled by Network Rail

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The problem is monorails are expensive because they run elevated on structures. And the land underneath them is effectively sterilised.

Quite clearly you are talking rubbish

monorail02.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was looking at the train plans for Boxing Day and the only service running is the usual hourly service between Brighton and Victoria, nothing will be running to Falmer

Out of interest what is the reason for this hourly Boxing Day service? Why do Southern provide this? It cannot be profitable surely. Why dont they just not bother like other parts of their servivice?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Out of interest what is the reason for this hourly Boxing Day service? Why do Southern provide this? It cannot be profitable surely. Why dont they just not bother like other parts of their servivice?

Maybe not a profit but less of a loss than paying the fine for not running at all.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If they're building a monorail, can they build a stop for us folk in Haywards Heath? I've paid for a bloody travel voucher after all:angry:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe not a profit but less of a loss than paying the fine for not running at all.

But this is part of my question. If this is the case why do they get a fine for say not running the Brighton-London route? Why is this route special so that the TOC has to run it? I guess it is designated a key route or something. If so what can be done to make the Brighton-Falmer route have the same status? What needs to change so that shifting punters to and from a stadium becomes part of their regular obligations as opposed to something special?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
But this is part of my question. If this is the case why do they get a fine for say not running the Brighton-London route? Why is this route special so that the TOC has to run it? I guess it is designated a key route or something. If so what can be done to make the Brighton-Falmer route have the same status? What needs to change so that shifting punters to and from a stadium becomes part of their regular obligations as opposed to something special?

Make the fines bigger? :shrug:
Who's the transport minister? :facepalm:

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually

The Brighton to London route stops at Gatwick Airport, so that could be the reason as there is always demand for that stop

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

It is what is in the franchise agreement, a minimum service level is laid down. So if the DFT said run a full service on Boxing Day they would , the same they have said run a Saturday service on Bank Holidays instead of a Sunday service

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Do not know if this has been suggested but could we have extra car parks at:
Falmer school fields
Stanmer Park (the part which is used as a car park on busy summer days)
The Falmer- woodingdean road

Also think that an early KO may be a good idea- people can get home earlier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here