Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds are utter scum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
TELF said:
my original point really was if we respected john charles, and it would of been all to easy especially as there were 1500 of you in the corner waiting for us not to, you could of just buttoned it for 1 minute yesterday

But why?

I did keep quiet as I posted, I turned my back but did not shout or chant anything.

There was no national silence for Charles, nor should there have been,. there should not have been a national silence for Best either. Hold it at the grounds players are connected with and no where else.

I just don't understand why people should be forced to stand in silence for a minute in respect of a total loser. He might have been a wonderful footballer but that doesn't exclude him from criticism in other parts of his life. And if people want to chant would you like another stella georgie best, let them get on with it. For me to condone such actions I'd have to disagree with them. I don't, Best was a waster and did nothing worthy of a minutes silence.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Easy 10 said:

Can't you just show a bit of class and rise above it all ? George Best wasn't a perfect human being, we all know that. But then who is ? He had failings and weaknesses as we all do. But as a footballer, he's thrilled generations of people all over the world. When I showed my 10 year old some of the footage of Best that they've been running on TV this week, he was simply in awe of the skills of the man.

Rise above what? No one is going to force me to pay any form of respect to a waster. To do that, I'd have to have some respect for the man while he was alive. I have none and am not going to practise double standards when he's passed on. It's sad and all that, but this Diana-sation of Best is totally, totally unjustified.

I notice no one on here is criticising the Liverpool fans.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Whether you respect the man or not you should be dignified enough to allow those who do to pay their respects.

You do not HAVE to think of Bestie during the silence do you?

I was not overly bothered but I know others were so stood in silence so as to not infringe on other people who did want to pay their respects.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No-ones ever going to agree on this are they. But when someone dies, its usually customary to celebrate the good in their lives. In Bests case, many people instead choose to climb onto their moral high-horses and give him a good slagging because he was an alcoholic. Leeds fans have the additional incentive to slag him off of course, as he was a Man Utd hero and thats the "done thing" because some Man U fans slag off Leeds.

Humans eh ? Real classy at times.

Last edited:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Richie Morris said:
Whether you respect the man or not you should be dignified enough to allow those who do to pay their respects.

Did you read my posts?

I posted that if people wanted to respect the silence they could, I didn't so turned my back and stood in silence for the 3 seconds it lasted.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was not talking about you Starry, more the fans who chanted.

At the end of the day Best was a genius the like of which we have not seen since.

He was the first footballer to experience all the problems and simply did not know how to handle it. He developed into an alcoholic which is not something I would wish on anyone.

George Best was a talented and young man who suddenly had everything he could want thrown at him. How many people on here can honestly say, without guidance or hindsight, that they would not have turned out the same?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Starry I visited Elland Road last season and made a point of going to see the statue of Billy Bremmner, partly because I have a passing interest in sculpture and it is a particularly good example in bronze, but also because I admire the skill of a player who plied his trade before I became interested in football. I haven't a clue what Billy's home or personal life were like, I regard him as a footballing great, the fact that he never played for Brighton or quite possibly against them is an irrelevance.

As for the ongoing feud between the unsavoury element following Man Utd and Leeds Utd, all I can say is they deserve each other, I have a soft spot for them in fact...a swamp!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Gully said:
Starry I visited Elland Road last season and made a point of going to see the statue of Billy Bremmner, partly because I have a passing interest in sculpture and it is a particularly good example in bronze, but also because I admire the skill of a player who plied his trade before I became interested in football. I haven't a clue what Billy's home or personal life were like, I regard him as a footballing great, the fact that he never played for Brighton or quite possibly against them is an irrelevance.

As for the ongoing feud between the unsavoury element following Man Utd and Leeds Utd, all I can say is they deserve each other, I have a soft spot for them in fact...a swamp!

King Billys statue makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up everytime I walk around the corner to it. The Supporters Club have just brought a bronze bust of Charles for the West Stand.

As for Man Utd/Leeds - what goes around comes around on both sides. We are both as bad as one another.

There was a minutes slience nationally for George Best and for Brian Clough. But not for John Charles. Who decides on whether there will be a national minutes silence? The FA? The Football League?
Why can't the Man Utd, Leeds and Liverpool fans show each other a bit of respect when it comes to the tragedies that have befallen those clubs. Can they not now draw a line under all the bad taste songs?

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
OK starry, so if it was suddenly revealed that billy bremmner was a wife beater I would be within my rights, as you did yesterday, to show my displeasure by say defacing his statue. I don't think two wrongs make a right.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Starry said:
Oster? Never went to court while he was at Leeds.

Smith? What did he do in a court of law?

If you are going to spout drivel, let's at least make it factual, eh.

Why would we turn our backs on them?

>>we're Leeds, we don't care<<

We are Leeds. And guess what, we genuinely don't care. If ever other teams fans are on their moral high ground because a few Leeds fans dared to ruin a wasters silence, well I know which side of the fence I'd rather be on.

Oster - Oster Contract Terminated - "
Leeds sack Oster after incident
Sunderland have terminated the contract of John Oster following his early return from a loan spell at Leeds.

The Black Cats took the decision after launching their own investigation into an off-the-field incident involving the 26-year-old Welsh international.

Leeds ended Oster's loan spell after finding him guilty of misbehaviour at the club's Christmas party.

Oster and Jamie McMaster were suspended on Christmas Eve after Leeds received complaints about the pair.

It was Oster's second indiscretion since he joined Leeds initially on a one-month loan in November.

After that deal was extended, the winger was arrested and formally cautioned by police on 16 December after being arrested on suspicion of assault following an incident outside a Durham nightclub. "

Alan Smith - Smith Questioned.

As for spouting rubbish - how about your "facts" about Best being a wife-beater?

Come on Starry, you can do better than this. Best was an alcoholic, you have some bad experiences of this sort of illness, and you expect us to respect the decision of Leeds fans, many of whom couldn't formulate a justifiable reason if you held a gun to their heads, except "it was Man Utd". The Leeds fans turned round to seek attention.

And as for not having a go at Liverpool - I already did. And yes, I hate their high and mighty attitude of "we can insult who we want, but don't mention our disasters." Their thugs were guilty of murder at Heysel, but they manage to ignore this part of their history and polish their haloes for Hillsborough.

[
And as for not having a go at Liverpool - I already did. And yes, I hate their high and mighty attitude of "we can insult who we want, but don't mention our disasters." Their thugs were guilty of murder at Heysel, but they manage to ignore this part of their history and polish their haloes for Hillsborough. [/B][/QUOTE]

It wasn't just Liverpool's fans fault at Heysel. It takes two to tango as they say and Juventus fans were attackiing Liverpool fans. Also you can blame UEFA for staging a European Cup Final in a stadium that was literally falling to bits.
But i will agree on the high and mighty attitude bit about some Liverpool fans.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
HampshireSeagulls said:
and you expect us to respect the decision of Leeds fans, many of whom couldn't formulate a justifiable reason if you held a gun to their heads, except "it was Man Utd".
I'm not expecting you to respect any decision Leeds fans might make, I'm sure you've been around in football long enough to know that really we don't care. Love us, hate us, do what ever. it won't stop a certain section of fans disrupting silences, singing songs others might not agree with etc.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Gully said:
OK starry, so if it was suddenly revealed that billy bremmner was a wife beater I would be within my rights, as you did yesterday, to show my displeasure by say defacing his statue. I don't think two wrongs make a right.

King Billy was not an alcoholic or a wife beater. Elsie his wife, who has sadly passed on herself now was chairwoman of our supporters club I've had the pleasure of her company on numerous occassions. He did not drink himself silly, then take another liver and do unrepairable damage to that while never trying to put right his life.

Of course two wrongs don't make a right, I'm not arguing that point. More so why should we show respect for someone?

If you wanted to deface King Billys statue because you disagree with him or his lifestyle, that's your choice, I'm not going to get all self righteous over it. You wouldn't be the first - two Man Utd fans were arrested and fined for urinating in public or whatever they call it, when they peed on him about 5 seasons ago.

Last edited:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would not deface the memory of Bremmner, regardless of my opinion about his lifestyle, I am of course happy that he treated his widow with the respect and tenderness that she deserved during their time together. I prefer to remember the joy that his football brought to the lives of fans, not only from Leeds and Scotland but also many other clubs, his private life is of little or no interest to me, as was that of George Best.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Gully said:

!

:clap: :clap:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Gully said:
I would not deface the memory of Bremmner, regardless of my opinion about his lifestyle, I am of course happy that he treated his widow with the respect and tenderness that she deserved during their time together. I prefer to remember the joy that his football brought to the lives of fans, not only from Leeds and Scotland but also many other clubs, his private life is of little or no interest to me, as was that of George Best.

I'm glad you hold King Billy in esteem.

Best lived his life in public, King Billy aside from his footballing commitments retired and lived in Scotland in peace. In the same street he'd grown up on. Didn't beat his wife and court front page publicity, nor drink himself into stupours in the corners of bars and have to be carried home by Joe Public, or drink drive then try to run from the police. All those things made Bests 'private' life public (rightly or wrongly) - the TV documentaries he did on his life with Alex where he spoke openly about his violence/drink/career/family made it all public. When you put yourself into the limelight like that, you've got to expect some criticism as well as praise.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Why should we show respect for an individual who had absolutely no respect for himself?

Best might have been a wonderful footballer when he was at his peak, but he was also an alcoholic wife-beater who walked away from his responsibilities on countless occasions.

There will be a tribute to Best at tomorrow's Cardiff v Ipswich game at Ninian Park, but I'll be f***ed if I'm having anything to do with it. I think I'll stay in the bar until kick-off. George would've understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here