John Terry - what's Capello to do?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What to do with John Terry?

• Kick him out of the squad and leave him at home for South Africa.

Votes: 46 22.4%
  • Strip him of the captaincy but take him anyway.

Votes: 98 47.8%
  • Nothing at all, this private and has nothing to do with football.

Votes: 61 29.8%

• Total voters

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
shagging eachothers' missus's is the english way, has been for years,don't see what all the fuss is about to be honest...............:blush:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm not sure about this. I never thought Terry was squeeky clean enough to fit into the 'role model' mould anyway.

It seems that Terry is due to be hauled to the FA to explain his actions to Capello later this week. I'm happy to let old Fabio do whatever he wants, but if I were Capello I would want to be damn sure that Terry was sorry and not going to do anything stupid again (seems unlikely...).

Anyway, as for potential replacements, Rooney was the first name that came to my mind. He would certainly lead by example and although he has make mistakes in the past (red cards, bad temper and shagging grannies) he seems to have calmed down. Ferdinand is a worry, I think he would be an OK captain if he re-finds his form, but I don't think he'll be a great captain. I wouldn't have Gerrard as captain, as I don't really like him (harsh, but honest). That leaves Barry, Lampard and possibly Ashley Cole all of whom are good players but probably lacking in leadership attributes.

Its a tough choice, but if Terry was to lose the captaincy, I think I would go with Rooney.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
No, he was soliciting a charity donation of £10,000 to jump the queue, its all on tape, he didnt do it for personal gain.

Or for the gain of his agent.

Sounds most unlikely.

He just shown himself to be not much of a team man.

Appoint Rooney (and Brovian - is a young single bloke shagging a old slapper - even if he paid for it - any sort of issue ?).

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
IMO for what it is worth. So he shagged a mates bird, he wont be the last. Why do footballers have to tow the party line. Morality is a funny thing in different professions and the red tops cream themselves over it. Let him get on with his job of being England and Chelsea captain and Mr Bridge and Mr Terry can sort it out amongst themselves.

A tedious story and something that goes on in surburbia all the time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
IMO for what it is worth. So he shagged a mates bird, he wont be the last.
Sure, lots of people play away; but shagging your mate's bird? No, I don't think that is particularly commonplace, because it's a really shitty thing to do.

Why do footballers have to tow the party line. Morality is a funny thing in different professions and the red tops cream themselves over it.
I agree with this bit. I really couldn't give a toss if Terry had been caught having an affair with someone outside the WAG sphere, or if he'd paid a hooker. But Wayne Bridge was a team mate and he's been shat on here.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Also, I'd like to say a big BRAVO to the tabloid newspapers for SERIOUSLY undermining our world cup chances. Seriously, what the hell. Do they not care about it? You don't pick out your captain for personal abuse and hatred a few months before the damn thing is meant to start, that's the last thing we needed. I know a story is a story, and this is a cracker, but for God sake. Idiots.

Misplaced vitriol. The tabloids have been doing their job in a serious, conscientious and very effective manner. John Terry has been doing his like a twat.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Or for the gain of his agent.

Sounds most unlikely.

He just shown himself to be not much of a team man.

Appoint Rooney (and Brovian - is a young single bloke shagging a old slapper - even if he paid for it - any sort of issue ?).
'Sounds' being the operative word here , your view is pure conjecture,because you want it to be true,and it happens to be wrong , here's a link to the the truth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/20/chelsea-defend-john-terry

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
'Sounds' being the operative word here , your view is pure conjecture,because you want it to be true,and it happens to be wrong , here's a link to the the truth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/20/chelsea-defend-john-terry

From what we have heard about Terry and his agent - it does sound unlikely that £10K in cash passed through his agents hands intact to the charity. It may have happened. But just sounds unlikely.

Had it been Beckham, Shearer, or Lineker - I'd believe it. Funnily - had it been Bobby Moore it would also have sounded unlikely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I must admit I dont follow the Premiership that much, or give much attention to the players. But, having read more and more about Terry's own misdemeanours I'm beginning to think he, his friends and his family are just an accident waiting to happen.

Whether or not Terry was guilty of anything with the training ground money thing is irrelevant, it looks bad and he put himself in a very very stupid position. Going back there was some incident with bouncers in a West End night club, another incident in a hotel just after Sept 11, pissing in a plant pot in another night club, some clumsy attempt by a friend to capitalise on his fame, a murky figure nicknamed Ticket Tony. And then there is his family, allegations of shop lifting and drug dealing.

What next? Having become aware of all this I'm wondering why on earth they gave him the captaincy in the first place. Let alone why he should be stripped of it.

Returning to the recent f*** up....a captain needs the trust and respect of his team mates. Shagging a team mates (both club and country) missus doesnt help either of these.

So, demote him asap before something really serious happens. It's only a matter of time surely.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
From what we have heard about Terry and his agent - it does sound unlikely that £10K in cash passed through his agents hands intact to the charity. It may have happened. But just sounds unlikely.

Had it been Beckham, Shearer, or Lineker - I'd believe it. Funnily - had it been Bobby Moore it would also have sounded unlikely.
ah, i see, 'from what you've heard', he must be guilty as charged then, absolutely watertight case, i might have to remind you of that in the future, funny how the guardian can be the absolute standard bearer of truth on some occasions , but it's stories are ignored when it suits .

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

No, not for me anyway. However some would call it 'immoral' and would prefer the England captain to be a old-fashioned, squeaky-clean paragon of virtue (like dear old Bobby Moore) whom all the kids could look up to and admire. I was merely pointing that if you DO want your England captain to be like that then a few others have also blotted their copybooks. Then of course you're just down to arguing over which sin is the greater.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I love these stories, because they invariably stir up the most sanctimonious, hypocritical tendencies in all concerned. Everybody snootily looks down at the tabloids, who actually have the balls and skills to get these stories, they then pretend not to be interested but talk about it in the pub and online for days.

The broadsheets sniff at their red-top cousins, and then get their supposed 'gods' like Henry Winter to write pages on the subject. The radio stations sneer at the newspapers, and then devote days of radio phone-ins to the issue. The BBC know it's the big story but can't quite bring themselves to go the whole hog, especially people like Lineker who by all accounts is lucky this treatment has never been dished out to him.

And on here is almost the worst, no one is interested and yet the threads run into the dozens. Incredible.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
ah, i see, 'from what you've heard', he must be guilty as charged then, absolutely watertight case, i might have to remind you of that in the future, funny how the guardian can be the absolute standard bearer of truth on some occasions , but it's stories are ignored when it suits .

Sorry bushy. But that is why I said "sounds unlikely".

and this fromthe report "Contrary to media reports and the appearance of edited video this morning the club is confident that at no time did Terry ask for or accept money in relation to visits to the training ground."

So contrary to the appearance of the video evidence the club is confident. Well that is okay then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, not for me anyway. However some would call it 'immoral' and would prefer the England captain to be a old-fashioned, squeaky-clean paragon of virtue (like dear old Bobby Moore) whom all the kids could look up to and admire. I was merely pointing that if you DO want your England captain to be like that then a few others have also blotted their copybooks. Then of course you're just down to arguing over which sin is the greater.

In respect of the England captaincy I do not primarily see it as an issue of morals.....it's more down to the fact that this is a world cup year and Terry is causing a major distraction in the first month. From his form he has the potential to do it again. The squad needs to be totally focussed. In some respects Capello's task is easy. Demoting Terry will stop the 'should he be captain' distraction immediately, and also send a very clear message to all other players not to derail the world cup focus. It would also piss off a lot of Chelsea fans...... Capello's win, win, win scenario.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports