Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Terry - what's Capello to do?

What to do with John Terry?

• Kick him out of the squad and leave him at home for South Africa.

Votes: 46 22.4%
  • Strip him of the captaincy but take him anyway.

Votes: 98 47.8%
  • Nothing at all, this private and has nothing to do with football.

Votes: 61 29.8%

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Am I missing something here........ Hadn't Bridge and his Mrs split up before the affair started?

Did Beckham get stripped of the captaincy for having an affair with Rebecca Loos?

I know it's slightly different in this case but if the Bridge's had separated, it's only an affair.

For too long we have been too worried about how our players are perceived and their moral standing. I agree that there has to be some sort of moral compass, but FFS we want to win the World Cup. Since Capello has taken over, Terry has led England magnificently and his form for Chelsea has been outstanding. he is England's best centre half. It's about time we had a bit of a winning mentality - pick your best players, f*** everything and win the world cup. I can guarantee you if Francesco Totti had done the same thing before the last world cup, he wouldn't have been dropped.

I agree to a certain extent, but the fact it is another potential member of the England squad and that his team mates (although not England ones) have had the "Team Bridge" shirts shown all over the papers this morning gives the England manager a problem.

What the judge referred to as "the consequences" and Terry's subsequent legal action hasn't helped things either, because that it itself became an important legal story of interest to the broadsheets.

Unfortunately the whole thing is very far from being private.

Capello has to decide what is best for the team and in his view what's best may involve stripping of the captain's role or leaving him out completely.

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Can we please get over the argument that this is a personal matter? It's not. Wayne Bridge, if fit, would be in the England squad, if reports are true though he is not going to play in the same squad as Terry. There are also reports that a number of other players (the Man City contingent in particular?) are not happy with Terry and think he's crossed the line. This IS a football matter as the harmony and composition of the squad have been affected. He must go. Sadly the FA don't have the balls to do it and are therefore leaving it to Capello/JT to sort out.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Can we please get over the argument that this is a personal matter? It's not. Wayne Bridge, if fit, would be in the England squad, if reports are true though he is not going to play in the same squad as Terry. There are also reports that a number of other players (the Man City contingent in particular?) are not happy with Terry and think he's crossed the line. This IS a football matter as the harmony and composition of the squad have been affected. He must go. Sadly the FA don't have the balls to do it and are therefore leaving it to Capello/JT to sort out.
I agree its not a personal matter, but i cant think of many workplaces that would sack someone for shagging a workmates ex bird, can you ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So here we are 160 votes in and almost 3/4 want him stripped of the captaincy or booted out altogether. That's pretty clear.

It's at times like this you'd love to be an insider at the FA. This really is a tough decision for Capello, and you can bet the likes of Gerrard, Rio, Rooney and even Becks will be secretly dreaming of being the man that is presented with the trophy.

On the one hand Terry is one of the first names down on the teamsheet, yet on the other hand he's clearly a (unt and stopping one of the others becoming captain. Do the negatives outweigh the positives? Tricky.

On what grounds do Capello and the FA back Terry to continue as captain? There are no guarantees it will be business as usual if he carries on. Also, if he IS kept as captain I expect half of the squad with think it is the wrong decision, as well as most reporters and fans, whereas no one will have any fundamental problems to Rooney taking over.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree its not a personal matter, but i cant think of many workplaces that would sack someone for shagging a workmates ex bird, can you ?

Depends on the fall out doesn't it.

I worked somewhere where things like that going on caused no end of problems, but no-one got sacked. A girl was making her way through the company and one of her conquests was particularly put out. Wasn't sacked but didn't hang around for long afterwards.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He was shagging her BEFORE she became Bridge's EX though wasn't he?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Don't mix business with pleasure:thumbsup:

People cheat all the time so why make terry out to be an evil bastard?Yeah its a fellow players ex etc so what.Its bloody bad yeah but its two seperate things.

Terry is needed and a bloody good captain:thumbsup:
Leave bridge at home as he's shite:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Why would or should the FA get involved?

If - IF - the FA go over Capello's head and boot Terry out (and against FC's wishes), there could very possibly be a different manager as well as a captain to find.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why would or should the FA get involved?

If - IF - the FA go over Capello's head and boot Terry out (and against FC's wishes), there could very possibly be a different manager as well as a captain to find.

I doubt the FA will get involved, it will up to the manager. However, there is no getting away from the fact that Terry has given Capello a potential problem, it entirely depends on how the other players react to Terry.

He's the captain after all.....

We can bang on all we like about it being a "private matter", but it doesn't matter what we think.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

I think they were together when the affair happened. I also think that if there's a fallout in the team, that is, someone refuses to be in it and people won't work well together in it - then yes I think most places of work (offices, anyway) would sack someone for similar actions.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I think they were together when the affair happened. I also think that if there's a fallout in the team, that is, someone refuses to be in it and people won't work well together in it - then yes I think most places of work (offices, anyway) would sack someone for similar actions.

i'll write this for the FOURTH time today.

No-one KNOWS FOR SURE whether or not they were together. There is a hell of a lot of presumption going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here