Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Terry - what's Capello to do?

What to do with John Terry?

• Kick him out of the squad and leave him at home for South Africa.

Votes: 46 22.4%
  • Strip him of the captaincy but take him anyway.

Votes: 98 47.8%
  • Nothing at all, this private and has nothing to do with football.

Votes: 61 29.8%

• Total voters

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Am I missing something here........ Hadn't Bridge and his Mrs split up before the affair started?

Did Beckham get stripped of the captaincy for having an affair with Rebecca Loos?

I know it's slightly different in this case but if the Bridge's had separated, it's only an affair.

For too long we have been too worried about how our players are perceived and their moral standing. I agree that there has to be some sort of moral compass, but FFS we want to win the World Cup. Since Capello has taken over, Terry has led England magnificently and his form for Chelsea has been outstanding. he is England's best centre half. It's about time we had a bit of a winning mentality - pick your best players, f*** everything and win the world cup. I can guarantee you if Francesco Totti had done the same thing before the last world cup, he wouldn't have been dropped.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If we took it off him for this there's no-one sensibly we could give it to. All the alternatives have done equally bad things if not worse and at least Terry hasn't let himself down on the pitch really. Unless you count ranting at the ref, but that pretty much rules out the rest of the team as well.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The end result of this will be that Bridge won't go. Capello could do with an excuse to make that happen - and he's got one, because Bridge is only just coming back from injury.

However, it may not be that simple. If other players are really not happy, then some damage has already been done to squad morale in the build-up.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In respect of the England captaincy I do not primarily see it as an issue of morals.....it's more down to the fact that this is a world cup year and Terry is causing a major distraction in the first month. From his form he has the potential to do it again. The squad needs to be totally focussed. In some respects Capello's task is easy. Demoting Terry will stop the 'should he be captain' distraction immediately, and also send a very clear message to all other players not to derail the world cup focus. It would also piss off a lot of Chelsea fans...... Capello's win, win, win scenario.
Oh I agree and I said in my first post that I just want what's best for England and I'm more than happy to trust Capello's judgment.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I'd only want him stripped of the captaincy on one condition, that absolute COCK Ferdinand doesn't get it.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
He think he's a fantastic role model for kids, lets them know that from an early age life isn't all shits and giggles and sometimes even your mates let you down.

The 33 people who want him kicked out the squad are morons or not English. He's quite clearly one of the best centre half's in the world and should be in the squad for his playing ability. Anything he does off the pitch shouldn't come into it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He think he's a fantastic role model for kids, lets them know that from an early age life isn't all shits and giggles and sometimes even your mates let you down.

The 33 people who want him kicked out the squad are morons or not English. He's quite clearly one of the best centre half's in the world and should be in the squad for his playing ability. Anything he does off the pitch shouldn't come into it.
Kicking him out of the squad is clearly not the way forward, but he's proven he can't be trusted so I don't see why they'd want him as captain!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but surely this is a matter for John Terry, his wife, Wayne Bridge and this other lass. Why does anyone else need to be involved?

All the newspapers have done is blow open something which could and should have been contained as a private matter, for which we all now sit in self-imposed pious judgement of something that has nothing to do with anyone else.

:shrug:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Am I missing something here........ Hadn't Bridge and his Mrs split up before the affair started?

Did Beckham get stripped of the captaincy for having an affair with Rebecca Loos?

I know it's slightly different in this case but if the Bridge's had separated, it's only an affair.

For too long we have been too worried about how our players are perceived and their moral standing. I agree that there has to be some sort of moral compass, but FFS we want to win the World Cup. Since Capello has taken over, Terry has led England magnificently and his form for Chelsea has been outstanding. he is England's best centre half. It's about time we had a bit of a winning mentality - pick your best players, f*** everything and win the world cup. I can guarantee you if Francesco Totti had done the same thing before the last world cup, he wouldn't have been dropped.

The Bridges have seperated since. They have a child together.

IMHO this isn't a moral issue, it's about whether a man is in a position to lead a team if his own personal actions affect the cohesiveness of the team and its membership. I think it's very clear he needs to resign as captain. he shouldn't necessarily lose his place in the team.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Am I missing something here........ Hadn't Bridge and his Mrs split up before the affair started?.

Do we know if the breakup was as a result of Terry's interest in her? If it wasn't then I would agree it's got nothing to do with Bridge.

No, but I wonder if he felt cheated when he saw her with that pig?

.... I can guarantee you if Francesco Totti had done the same thing before the last world cup, he wouldn't have been dropped.

If the Italian players had been involved in anything like that it would never have made the papers - Berlusconi's laws would have protected them (may be doing now, but we'll never know).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Kicking him out of the squad is clearly not the way forward, but he's proven he can't be trusted so I don't see why they'd want him as captain!

Don't see what his trustworthiness around stoats has got to do with his ability to captain a football team?

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but surely this is a matter for John Terry, his wife, Wayne Bridge and this other lass. Why does anyone else need to be involved?

All the newspapers have done is blow open something which could and should have been contained as a private matter, for which we all now sit in self-imposed pious judgement of something that has nothing to do with anyone else.

:shrug:

Quite agree.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't think we can decide from the outside. Capello has to decide what impact this has over the ability of the man to lead the players. If he's lost respect within the squad, and if his actions have lost us the back-up left back, then I think he'll probably lose the captaincy.

Personally though, I think too much onus is placed on who is the on-going captain. I think Capello should pick a squad, then pick a team and then decides which member of that team is named captain. I don't remember all this fuss around Robson, Butcher, Shilton Ince etc. It's Beckham and his self-publicity that has turned the nominated captain into such a big deal. It used to be a big deal on teh day of the game perhaps, but not between Internationals as it is today.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think Capello should pick a squad, then pick a team and then decides which member of that team is named captain. I don't remember all this fuss around Robson, Butcher, Shilton Ince etc. It's Beckham and his self-publicity that has turned the nominated captain into such a big deal. It used to be a big deal on teh day of the game perhaps, but not between Internationals as it is today.

If Bobby Moore was still alive he would argue vehemently

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If Bobby Moore was still alive he would argue vehemently

Sure you can pick out the odd one or two who was a designated captain over a period of time, but that was more about Moore being named captain, and he was obviously a shoe-in selection for the next game, hence he'd probably retain the captaincy. Why wouldn't he?

But who replaced Moore, for how long and who were the other candidates for the job? I bet there wasn't any sort of fuss about it until the first game arrived where he wasn't captain. I certainly don't ever remember a fuss being made until the end of the Beckham era.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sure you can pick out the odd one or two who was a designated captain over a period of time, but that was more about Moore being named captain, and he was obviously a shoe-in selection for the next game, hence he'd probably retain the captaincy. Why wouldn't he?

But who replaced Moore, for how long and who were the other candidates for the job? I bet there wasn't any sort of fuss about it until the first game arrived where he wasn't captain. I certainly don't ever remember a fuss being made until the end of the Beckham era.

While I totally agree about the undue level of importance placed on the England football captain, it's a bit harsh to blame Beckham. We made a fuss of it long before he came along.

Unless there is some strong counter-reason, I'd go with the Italian concept of most caps, or best player. You can't go too wrong there.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
it's a bit harsh to blame Beckham. We made a fuss of it long before he came along.

Not BLAMING Beckham, it's the media that's to blame, but that's when I first noticed us making a fuss of it. Have we ever had a player "resign the captaincy" before him?

I certainly don't remember us making any sort of fuss about who would be captain "long before" he came along.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
His private life should have been kept private but now that it's all out he should be dropped totally until what he has done has been proved either way.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
keep him in the team let alone the squad but a captain needs to set an example so f*** him off for golden balls - I watched Beckham play for Milan against Livorno and he simply never stopped running, amazing. I'm sure no one will agree with me and to be honest I ain't read the rest of thread 'cos I can't be arsed.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think it's very clear he needs to resign as captain.

Completely agree. If he was actually man enough to do the decent thing of course. Resigning the captaincy is the absolute very least he should do, but you just know the self-interested pillock won't do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here