Does anyone still think Capello is the man for the Job ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We still havent beaten a good side under Capello or even a half decent side.

Fabio wont change his ways. IF he does then im happy for him to stay on, but he's a 4-4-2 man all the way and still plays them out of position.

Check your facts before spouting crap.

So what if he's a good club manager? It seems tournament football is something quite different to club football. If you look at the successful national sides over many years, they never worry about a managers club experience, they are looking for someone to give the squad that little lift that might make a difference, not tactical excellence. Brazil, Argentina and Germany regularly choose a manager who has been a great player over several WC finals, rather than someone who has won the Champions League etc with a club side.

Quite honestly, most of us here on NSC could have "managed" that squad to get out of that piss easy group and lose to Germany, we would certainly have struggled to do worse than Capello.

Bit of a dumb comment to suggest most on here would have done better than Capello.

And up until now i have been proved 100% correct, name me one thing he has done different to Sven ?Discipline, passion during the game

In fact he has been worse than Sven so far....

And what did the previous English managers do better?

Taylor - Did we not like that!! Carlton Palmer, Geoff Thomas, need I say more.
Venables - Probably the only coach that could have gone on to better things but spent too much of his time being a failed business man rather than concerntrating on what he did best.
Hoddle - failed to take the best english player of a generation to the 98 world cup. He wasn't 100% fit but could have been used as an effective sub.
Keegan - couldn't stand the heat. (that's a familiar story for the geordie messiah)
McLaren - shot himself in the foot by discarding our best player until it was too late in the qualifiers and even then we only just missed out.

I look at these...major footballing nations

France 1-0 England
Spain 2-0 England
Holland 2-2 England
Brazil 1-0 England
Germany 4-1 England

Yet to beat a major footballing nation under Capello.

Think you have already been proved wrong.

Unfortunately, there are plenty on here who are against Capello purely because he is foreign. The allegation he can't speak English is ludicrous as he gives his answers in English and knows enough to convey to his players what he wants.

Whatever he did he would have been criticised. Personally, I think he has made some mistakes but I would not ditch him for the likes of Redknapp or even Hodgson. Nobody on here would have touted Hodgson if it wasn't for Fulhams exploits last season, ie one season. Redknapp has so little experience of European football it would be a joke.

As for the comment relating to appointing an ex player who has had success, name one English player that is in the reckoning.

As for the match last night, Upson was useless which was compounded by a poor performance from Terry, the self proclaimed leader on the field. He couldn't marshall an Under 10 cross country run let alone his defensive colleagues. Upson played because Carragher is even slower and King just back from injury. Should have gambled on Dawson.

The fact of the matter is that whatever system you play the players need to perform. They need to keep possession of the ball and they need to have it under control and make the right decisions. As much as I hate the guy, I thought Ashley Cole has had a reasonably tournament however when he was put through by Gerrard on the left wing in the first half, he put his foot on the ball to hold it up rather than push it forward and penetrate the left side of the penalty area.

Everyone on here knows that goals can change matches. The Germans were technically better than us but had the Lampard goal stood, the impetus of the game would have been with England. It's also no good banging on about how technically better than us they are. If that was the case there would never be an upset in the FA cup!

I have also heard how Germany have four players from the U21s that won a tournament last year. Well, we were the other team in the final and whilst we lost, we must be doing something right to have got that far.

I think we will see a drastic change in the next squad with the likes of Terry, Wright Phillips, Lennon and Heskey discarded. But you can't completely change it overnight.

Finally, I heard that dickhead Whelan babbling on about the FA being amateur organisation and England should be handed over to the Premier league to run. What a joke. What benefit would the self serving Premier league have for England. He is also one of the protaganists for and English manager yet for his own club he appoints a foreigner.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If Capello goes it will be a travesty of all proportions.

These players are so far up their own arses its unbelievable. They seem to think because they get paid so much they must be good. Along comes Capello and tried to snap them back into some sort of team shape, and they chuck all their toys out of the pram, effectively saying we don't care we're having a nice summer holiday and we're going home to our £100k per week no matter what....

Todays press is tomorrows fish and chip paper, so their wives tell them...

Its all wrong. If I were the head of the FA - I'd give Capello free reign to sack them all and go hunting in the lower leagues.

Even if they aren't as good, they deserve it far more than any of these big headed idiots.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And another thing, nobody seems to have mentioned that we got further than both the finalists from 2006! The french with their wonderful training facility and all that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
managers are not the problem . . . players are . . . .

caused by Premiership, caused by Sky, caused by Murdoch . . . . . .

the FA is spineless and pathetic, which doesn't help.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
And another thing, nobody seems to have mentioned that we got further than both the finalists from 2006! The french with their wonderful training facility and all that.

other peoples failure is not an excuse for our own shortcomings . . . . when you piss yourself do you point at the bloke next to you who just shat his pants ? the other guy might have a legitimate resason . . . . .

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
other peoples failure is not an excuse for our own shortcomings . . . . when you piss yourself do you point at the bloke next to you who just shat his pants ? the other guy might have a legitimate resason . . . . .

wise words

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That depends on whether in your desparation you were able to get closer to the urinals than the other guy!

Seriously though, people have been banging on about the french academy as if the similar set up at Burton would solve our problems. Guy on the radio quoted the number of Eufa coaches. In Germany it is about 34k and between 20k and 30k in France and Italy. We've got about 2500!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If Capello goes it will be a travesty of all proportions.

These players are so far up their own arses its unbelievable. They seem to think because they get paid so much they must be good. Along comes Capello and tried to snap them back into some sort of team shape, and they chuck all their toys out of the pram, effectively saying we don't care we're having a nice summer holiday and we're going home to our £100k per week no matter what....

where exactly does this version come from? why do we think the players are pampered and cant be arsed? they get paid the same and have the same attention as all the other top players, where does the perception come from that English players take it for granted?

Capello tried to snap them into shape? i think thats half the problem, he didnt give the team a shape that would work. 4-4-bloody-2, like Mike Bassett, but everyone else is playing 5 in midfield so we are pulled apart. "press the f***ing ball" seemed to be the mantra... but what happend when they got it? didnt seem to know where to play, where players would be in the attack. Rooney too deep, Gerrard wasted, germans snuffed out Milner and no alternative was brought to the fore. lack of game plan and lack of tactics along with some incorrect choice of players.

both manager and players were found wanting imo, i dont see how it can all be the fault of one side.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I've been thinking about this all tournament and I've decided he is the man for the job. The current group of players should be discarded.

There is no better man out there to manage the team. We have now been through 3 clearly very good managers who have all won titles with this group of players since 2002 and they have miserably failed at every tournament and failed to qualify for one of them. Changing the manager has not worked before.

As well as nationally looking at grass root football and changing the way we bring kids through (which is another bigger debate) this squad needs to be completely freshened up and the current lot, tainted by consistent failure, forgotten about so that we can progress.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Is Hiddink available ? Id give him a go for sure plenty of international experience.

Thought i would put thatin before people accuse me of only wanting an English Manager.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Is Hiddink available ? Id give him a go for sure plenty of international experience.

Thought i would put thatin before people accuse me of only wanting an English Manager.

The problem is that the England job is tainted, no one in there right mind would take it now.

Lets also look at our present strike force:

Rooney - international quality, World Class yet to be proved!
Defoe, would get into most World Cup sides but few of the last 8 sides.
Crouch, so good most sides reject him after a while.
Heskey, would any other nation had picked him?

We don't have a the forward line at the moment to get the results at the highest level.

Look at the Dutch, Spanish, Argies etc.

Quality forwards playing with quality in reserve.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
harry "ive spent £30m on players but the squad is till down to the bare bones" redknapp as a successful england manager?! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

the ONLY english manager to have been good enough to win a top flight league in europe in the last 20 years is still a laughing stock to england fans, and i dare say he is a far better manager than that slimey tosser

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Right man for the job

wrong team for the job

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Hiddink new manager of Turkey

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Capello tried to snap them into shape? i think thats half the problem, he didnt give the team a shape that would work. 4-4-bloody-2, like Mike Bassett, but everyone else is playing 5 in midfield so we are pulled apart. "press the f***ing ball" seemed to be the mantra... but what happend when they got it? didnt seem to know where to play, where players would be in the attack. Rooney too deep, Gerrard wasted, germans snuffed out Milner and no alternative was brought to the fore. lack of game plan and lack of tactics along with some incorrect choice of players.

Anyone thought that perhaps the reason that Capello stays with this formation is that most/all of the players cant deal with anything else? How many of the squad play regularily in something other than a 4-4-2 (slight variation of? - perhaps the Chelsea lads... Whenever Ive seen England experiement with different formations, it looks even more painful than the archiac 4-4-2.

I do think he is still the right man, mainly because you cant assemble a record like his by sheer luck and probably more importantly the alternatives terrify me..
Anyone that thinks that Redknapp would be a more successfull England manager should not be entitled to vote or reproduce.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
We MUST have an ENGLISH manager NOW.

Our record with English managers is simply STUNNING.

In 1992, Graham Taylor led us to the finals of the European Championship, where we destroyed France 0-0, murdered Denmark 0-0, only going out after a brave heroic 2-1 defeat to "Kings of Europe" Sweden. In 1994, we got to within a whisker of qualifying for the World Cup, a brave 2-0 defeat to Holland finally ending our chances (after an equally brave 2-0 defeat to the MIGHTY Norway), whilst showing oodles of passion, desire and commitment (and bravery).

It is not just Graham Taylor who has a proven track record though. Oh no, let me tell you about a little guy called Kevin Keegan. After heroically leading us to Euro 2000, on the back of a STUNNING 2-1 aggregate defeat of SCOTLAND in the play offs, Keegan led us through a fantastic finals campaign, our miserly defence conceding a mere 6 goals in the group stage before exiting bravely (and with a lot of passion and desire of course) after a 3-2 defeat to Romania. This tournament is remembered fondly by all for Keegan's tactical masterstroke of playing Dennis Wise on the left wing.

But it just gets better ladies and gentlemen. Steve McLaren. It was a tale of success from start to finish. After a staggering defensive display saw us hold Macedonia to 0-0 at home, we then held Croatia to 0-2 away from home, before bravely (and with passion and desire you must remember) bowing out after losing 3-2 at home to Croatia where McLaren made the bold decision of picking Scott Carson, who has since gone from strength to strength.

So, although 'Arry has not achieved the same level as any of the above 3 in his domestic managerial career when managing a top flight side (McLaren - dutch title winner, Taylor - Aston Villa 2nd place in Premiership, Keegan - Newcastle 2nd place in Premiership), it thinks its clear that if he can emulate even half of the success that they have, we will be able to continue our brave tradition of international success under brave, passionate and desirable Englishman.

Who won the war anyway god save the queen no surrender to the IRA etc etc etc etc etc etc etc....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports