Does anyone still think Capello is the man for the Job ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I look at these...major footballing nations

France 1-0 England
Spain 2-0 England
Holland 2-2 England
Brazil 1-0 England
Germany 4-1 England

Yet to beat a major footballing nation under Capello.

Croatia are not a major footballing nation traditionally, but that is irrelevant. They are a very good side who totally outclassed us two years earlier (with much the same set of players) and who looked good at Euro 2008.

Under Capello, we destroyed them 4-1 and 5-1. Your refusal to acknowledge those results completely ruins ANY credibility whatsoever to your argument, and fo quite frankly you are talking out of your arse.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think Alan Shearer has copied my posts in his Sun Column today !

He couldnt be more spot on in my opinion.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Croatia are not a major footballing nation traditionally, but that is irrelevant. They are a very good side who totally outclassed us two years earlier (with much the same set of players) and who looked good at Euro 2008.

Under Capello, we destroyed them 4-1 and 5-1. Your refusal to acknowledge those results completely ruins ANY credibility whatsoever to your argument, and fo quite frankly you are talking out of your arse.

Just ignore it, the whole argument is pretty much a copy and paste of the stuff posted about Erickson from 2004 to 2006.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Croatia are poor...ranked 10 maybe...but the rankings are bollox we know that

The managed to finish 3RD ! in the group behind Russia ....who then lost over 2 LEGS to the might of Greece who were appalling at this world cup.

Croatia are NOT a good side or a top Footballing nation.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just ignore it, the whole argument is pretty much a copy and paste of the stuff posted about Erickson from 2004 to 2006.

Thats because the football and personell are exactly the same pretty much as under Erickson.

Nothing has changed why you cant see it i dont know...blinkers on

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The worst thing we can do is sack him just because we lost. We need to build on what he has learned. What concens me is can he adjust his tactics which may be required in a tournament.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Thats because the football and personell are exactly the same pretty much as under Erickson.

Nothing has changed why you cant see it i dont know...blinkers on

Players are the same and an evolution of the squad is needed, the lack of creditable English managers is the same, so it seems giving Cappelo a free reign in sorting things out is the most sensible idea.

But still nothing like a Sun fuelled NSC over reaction from the usual suspects on the matter, so carry on.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The worst thing we can do is sack him just because we lost. We need to build on what he has learned. What concens me is can he adjust his tactics which may be required in a tournament.

No hes a stubborn man who has played a certain way in 25 years of management.

If he does change then im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Its too late though, none of them want to play for him anymore.
Back to my original post, hes lost the dressing room

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No hes a stubborn man who has played a certain way in 25 years of management.

If he does change then im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Im not sure I want many of them playing for England, not a loss really.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Plus the 4 games he picked were AWAY FRIENDLIES, which is key. We played most of them incl Brazil with half a team. As for the German one I think the lino has a lot to blame for that score looking so poor. The third and 4th goals were on the break. Not saying we deserved to win but would've been a totally diff score line if the officials weren't so poor...

I haven't agreed with all Fabio's decisions this tourno but the players are more to blame and Capello was so popular a few weeks back. It's a joke how short memories people have. Plus there is nobody better available out there.

Keep him - we were awesome under his reign until the WC...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

If that's the case, then solution is simple. Change the contents of the dressing room.

Why anyone still labours under the delusion that the current team are quality internationals is beyond me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Be prepared to not qualify for major events then

Really? I dont think leaving out certain players would be a massive loss, Lampard for example hasnt played well for England for years, Not just under Fabio.

As for Terry..... If this was the first time he has tried to undermind a manager I may think more of what he is saying, but he did that at Chelsea as well and that didnt really work out well for the,

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
And another thing, nobody seems to have mentioned that we got further than both the finalists from 2006! The french with their wonderful training facility and all that.

But the difference is here, Italy and France have achieved a lot more. Italy where under no illusion they where going to do well in this tournament, and like Cappello, Lippi was also very stubborn refusing to bring in younger players who could have done a lot better. Italy have accepted this fact and have moved on with a new manager. The trouble with our media is that its just hype, and more hype. Now the debate is we need an English Manager, what next? England should only play in red because its a lucky colour. There needs to be a complete change from top to bottom end of.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Plus the 4 games he picked were AWAY FRIENDLIES, which is key. We played most of them incl Brazil with half a team. As for the German one I think the lino has a lot to blame for that score looking so poor. The third and 4th goals were on the break. Not saying we deserved to win but would've been a totally diff score line if the officials weren't so poor...

I haven't agreed with all Fabio's decisions this tourno but the players are more to blame and Capello was so popular a few weeks back. It's a joke how short memories people have. Plus there is nobody better available out there.

Keep him - we were awesome under his reign until the WC...

I picked the games against the bigger footballing nations, its not my fault most of them werre away fixtures !

All of the opposition sides had half a team also..

You have to base everything on results at the tournament, not qualifying against shit like Andorra etc. Great, we can beat the teams that can't qualify for a World Cup....hoorah big deal

Im merely pointing out that Under Capello..we have won 1 game out of about 6 against top opposition and were f***ing awful at the world cup when it mattered.

There is no arguing with that

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Really? I dont think leaving out certain players would be a massive loss, Lampard for example hasnt played well for England for years, Not just under Fabio.

As for Terry..... If this was the first time he has tried to undermind a manager I may think more of what he is saying, but he did that at Chelsea as well and that didnt really work out well for the,

Probably because Lampard dosent play the same role as he does for Chelsea.

Terry was absolutely right to come out with what he did, he knew the camp was a shambles and was trying to get it sorted before it was too late.
Shame the others were not brave enough to come out with it also.
Probably felt going to Capello would have been a waste of time so had o go public.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I picked the games against the bigger footballing nations, its not my fault most of them werre away fixtures !

All of the opposition sides had half a team also..

You have to base everything on results at the tournament, not qualifying against shit like Andorra etc. Great, we can beat the teams that can't qualify for a World Cup....hoorah big deal

Im merely pointing out that Under Capello..we have won 1 game out of about 6 against top opposition and were f***ing awful at the world cup when it mattered.

There is no arguing with that

I agree with a lot of what you say there and yes managers are ultimately judged on the major tournos which is correct in one sense but not so correct in another. I just don't see anyone out there who would take us any further forward... The players were more to blame than anyone.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I agree with a lot of what you say there and yes managers are ultimately judged on the major tournos which is correct in one sense but not so correct in another. I just don't see anyone out there who would take us any further forward... The players were more to blame than anyone.

Well we wont know unles we change it, i just dont want us to drift to another major tournament with no changes.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well we wont know unles we change it, i just dont want us to drift to another major tournament with no changes.

The simple fact is that there's endless possibilities as to why the England players didn't play very well on the whole. I think it could be a combination of lots of things - and we will never ever no. It could be something to do with grass roots / coaching / too many club games / players not playing regularly enough together / media etc putting too much pressure on / managers tactics / bored at hotel / not using the new ball for long enough etc etc etc

The possibilities are endless. We seemed such a different team under Capello before the WC - That's the most frustrating thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports