Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea v Barcelona

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Do you reckon the Barca fans will give their side a good BOO-ING if they don't score ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He doesn't know what to do - He hasn't got a Plan B

Total football doesn't allow for one.

Barcelona have been poor tonight. For all the nifty passing and clever movement, they've offered very little in attack. They'll smash Chelsea at the Camp Nou, no doubt, but tonight they have been poor. Posession without a purpose.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Barca don't seem to be so good in the second half after Sanchez went off and was replaced by Pedro. Now Xavi is subbed. I thought Barca were beatable but not by Chelsea!

Barca are having the same frustrations as the Albion do against the 4-4-2.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
FT 1-0 That makes the second leg watchable.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Total football doesn't allow for one.

Barcelona have been poor tonight. For all the nifty passing and clever movement, they've offered very little in attack. They'll smash Chelsea at the Camp Nou, no doubt, but tonight they have been poor. Posession without a purpose.

I don't think its that - Chelsea haven't let them play (until now when they are sitting back and not closing down). Agree with you about the Nou camp though, chelsea will try and defend that 1-0 by going for a draw and get beaten

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't think its that - Chelsea haven't let them play (until now when they are sitting back and not closing down). Agree with you about the Nou camp though, chelsea will try and defend that 1-0 by going for a draw and get beaten

And that is what happens to the Albion. The opposition are meant to roll over, but they don't. I think that more often than not they save up their best performances for the Albion (and that includes Liverpool home and away).

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
You can see Chelsea getting smashed @ the NC, unless they hold out for 70 mins and Barca panic. I was watching the game and thinking that Gus expects us to be Barca like and play with the passing, possession style which is all very well if a) You have the players who can routinely do it and b) You have finishers. We have neither and you can only go so far (Swansea) without the money to buy both. Without the finishers, we are toothless possesionistas. Macca, Buckley, LuaLua and a Glenn Murray type CF (can defend and hold up) supported by Vincente and a defensive midfielder/enforcer have the potential to rip teams to shreds. I think Gus should focus ALL pre-season efforts on our defence and GK. I'd like to see them ALL go.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
You can see Chelsea getting smashed @ the NC, unless they hold out for 70 mins and Barca panic. I was watching the game and thinking that Gus expects us to be Barca like and play with the passing, possession style which is all very well if a) You have the players who can routinely do it and b) You have finishers. We have neither and you can only go so far (Swansea) without the money to buy both. Without the finishers, we are toothless possesionistas. Macca, Buckley, LuaLua and a Glenn Murray type CF (can defend and hold up) supported by Vincente and a defensive midfielder/enforcer have the potential to rip teams to shreds. I think Gus should focus ALL pre-season efforts on our defence and GK. I'd like to see them ALL go.

Spot on imo, except the last bit to an extent on our GK.

I'll try to defend most keepers to the hilt.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Ugly, ugly football from Chelsea tonight. Horrible side to watch. Still, it gets results ...

Media twaddle - If they kicked Barca of the park and dived all the time (ok Drogba maybe) you could say it was ugly but defending and playing them on the break isn't Ugly.

If you get the chance watch Levante who played Barca last weekend, did very similar to Chelsea but better faster and more skilfully even taking a 1-0 lead and all over them till Messi got a lucky penalty

D

Deleted member 18477

Barca will go through. Chelsea are poor. Nou camp, big pitch, 90,000 fans... Let's see how they defend against that. Answer? They won't.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
As a former GK, I would agree BUT I think confidence comes from the back. Can't fake it. Great winning sides and even some not so great winning sides can slide with a great stopper. I don't care how good the 10 are, if Number 1 is a flapper, pass poor kicking, poor positioning and instills no confidence. I stand by my observations. We have plenty of million pound class in MF and Upfront. We have none at the back. We've tried to paper over it and took the cheap or loan route. If we want to contend, we need to invest across the back.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't mind watching Chelsea, but by God are their fans a right bunch of *****. A lod of my mates think they have a God given right to win everything and sod everyone else...most don't even know who Matt Harding was...bunch of thick fuckers.

Sorry, few things make me really angry, but Chelsea do.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I rather enjoyed that.

Perfect tactics of how to play barca, let them play with it be be super tight at the back. It pisses me off that so many teams just roll over against barca, you watch spanish football and see clubs at the nou camp strolling round the pitch waiting for messi to score.

Well done Chelsea, don't think they'll win the tie but well done all the same.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't mind watching Chelsea, but by God are their fans a right bunch of *****. A lod of my mates think they have a God given right to win everything and sod everyone else...most don't even know who Matt Harding was...bunch of thick fuckers.

Sorry, few things make me really angry, but Chelsea do.
A little tip, your mates aren't chelsea "fans"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here