Chelsea v Barcelona

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Say what you like about Drogba, but his work rate was absolutely phenomenal last night. He was everywhere (as well as being on the floor). Can't stand all the Chelsea plastics that walk around Sussex in their soul-less replica gear with that shitty round badge on, but I for one will be hoping they finish the job in the second leg, go on to lift the cup and that Roberto di Matteo gets the job.

How old school fans like Bushy put up with all the plastic c*nts following that club I'll never know.
Its a different club now mate, i've been sat in front of tore andre flo a couple of seasons ago in the west lower, and i was the only one who recognised him!! its not as if he played 20 years ago is it ??

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I don't think it was especially ugly. The Chelsea goal was as good a technical bit of football as anything Barca did all game. Lampard outside of the boot pass out to Ramires on the wing was absolutely sublime. Chelsea did exactly what you have to do to beat Barca, and they did it very well.

I agree. Lazy journalism and jealousy have ill described their performance last night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shows that even with 78% possession, Barca still lost, having the ball does not mean you win the game, goals do.

True, it will not always prevail but bigger picture Barca have done rather well from their possession based game, as have the Spanish national team. It seems to work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
True, it will not always prevail but bigger picture Barca have done rather well from their possession based game, as have the Spanish national team. It seems to work.

I agree. However, Barca have been vulnerable this season and on this occasion, more agricultural football based on a sound back 4 may prevail. Italian football had years of success with this. CATENACCIO!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree. However, Barca have been vulnerable this season and on this occasion, more agricultural football based on a sound back 4 may prevail. Italian football had years of success with this. CATENACCIO!

4 points off the top of Primera and in the semis of the Champions League does not strike me as a particularly vulnerable team. They will not win every game all of the time. They have not been beaten yet, there is still the second leg.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
4 points off the top of Primera and in the semis of the Champions League does not strike me as a particularly vulnerable team. They will not win every game all of the time. They have not been beaten yet, there is still the second leg.

They are more vulnerable this year than last year. They've lost and drawn more games. I'm fully aware they haven't been beaten yet, you patronsing git!

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
This was Barcelona at their worst and most boring. They can be great to watch sometimes, but they obsess over possession so much that sometimes they favour possession over making an attacking move, in a first leg tie away from home they were always going to be conservative, but it was a bit too conservative. 72-78% possession and they were f***ing boring.

I expect them to be brilliant at home though.

Am I the only one that saw Drogba cop a boot to the nuts? (purely accidental) No one else seems to have mentioned it, he was hunched over for ages.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
This was Barcelona at their worst and most boring. They can be great to watch sometimes, but they obsess over possession so much that sometimes they favour possession over making an attacking move, in a first leg tie away from home they were always going to be conservative, but it was a bit too conservative. 72-78% possession and they were f***ing boring.

I expect them to be brilliant at home though.

Am I the only one that saw Drogba cop a boot to the nuts? (purely accidental) No one else seems to have mentioned it, he was hunched over for ages.

I thought he squashed a bollock when performing another outrageous dive

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's what I saw as well but totally agree with everyone else finch said barca were at their boring worst last night.

I'd like to see how many teams could carve out that many clear cut chances against a Chelsea team that simply put a bank of 4 on the edge of their box, then a bank of 5 a few yards in front. I think any team would have struggled to break down that set up or play fluid attacking football. Chelsea gambled last night and got lucky. It was a great performance by them but to watch that match and say Barca were the boring team, well, can't say I can agree with that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd like to see how many teams could carve out that many clear cut chances against a Chelsea team that simply put a bank of 4 on the edge of their box, then a bank of 5 a few yards in front. I think any team would have struggled to break down that set up or play fluid attacking football. Chelsea gambled last night and got lucky. It was a great performance by them but to watch that match and say Barca were the boring team, well, can't say I can agree with that.

This.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

100% this.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Well, I thought the game was interesting. The TV did not give a right perspective visually as it was tight in ball watching (as usual) but it seemed to me that Barca had a starting line-up with three at the back and the rest were divided between defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders and Fabregas (who might as well not been on the pitch).

But it was still four at the back when defending as one of the midfielders covered. I do NOT think the Barca system is particularly exciting. It is just their first team has exciting players: Sanchez, Messi, Villa, The Barca system is a bit like the boring Sunderland play, effective and sometimes stifling. But they were away in European Cup match, what else to expect?

I would not mind Albion playing the same way in tricky away matches.

Chelsea were even more boring. Without Drogba their team would be very ordinary.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, I thought the game was interesting. The TV did not give a right perspective visually as it was tight in ball watching (as usual) but it seemed to me that Barca had a starting line-up with three at the back and the rest were divided between defensive midfielders and attacking midfielders and Fabregas (who might as well not been on the pitch).

But it was still four at the back when defending as one of the midfielders covered. I do NOT think the Barca system is particularly exciting. It is just their first team has exciting players: Sanchez, Messi, Villa, The Barca system is a bit like the boring Sunderland play, effective and sometimes stifling. But they were away in European Cup match, what else to expect?

I would not mind Albion playing the same way in tricky away matches.

Chelsea were even more boring. Without Drogba their team would be very ordinary.

cheer up

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

I didn't say THEY were the boring team, the match in general was very boring. I really do not find continual passing around the box waiting for the perfect pass before being tackled and then the ball being punted forward as particularly attractive or exciting. As Finch said last night they were retaining posesion for posessions sake and being ultra cautious. It was like watching paint dry.

Must be pretty unusual for a team with 79% possession, 24 shots, 6 on target plus two which hit the woodwork, to walk away with a defeat and no goals. In that context I think next week is quite ominous for Chelsea unless you can ride your luck over two matches.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Must be pretty unusual for a team with 79% possession, 24 shots, 6 on target, to walk away with a defeat and no goals. In that context I think next week is quite ominous for Chelsea unless you can ride your luck over two matches.

All they need is a lucky deflection or the ball dropping to the right player on a free kick or corner and Barca will need to score 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports