Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton - a Manchester United fan speaks...

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
I got asked by some Chelchesterpool supporter, once, what team I supported. Bit of a look of disbelief when I told them Brighton & Hove Albion. "Yes, but what Premier League team do you support?" was the reply.
What a tw*t!

Always reply with "well who's your Championship/Football League team?". That soon rattles them.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I just find the whole business of supporting a team from miles away quite bizarre. I didn't sit down and pick which club I was going to support. I'm from Brighton, so I'm a Brighton fan. I wouldn't support Spain just because they're quality.

I just don't get it?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
A good answer is to pity them.

I quite often say back that there is no worse team in the world to support than Man Utd. Winning means nothing to them they just come to expect it (I mean look at last seasons title win it is an emotionless experience for them, Utd win the league, yawn!) they have won the title 11 times in the last 20 or so years (a guess) how can the 11th title be more special than the 6th or the 9th for example.

You can see it in the crowd and you can feel it when you talk to them, there is no passion just expectation of victory, which breeds arrogance and to me they have the thought process of a child almost i.e having to support the winning team. You have to experience dark times (and I am not just talking about BHA, but all sides without a bulging trophy cabinet) to truly appreciate success such as wins and ultimately triumphs (like last seasons league 1 win) I think I will always remember the game at Walsall, which Utd fan will ever remember there 11th title win. It must be horrible and to be quite honest boring to support Man Utd (unless you come from Manchester).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that by the sound of things she has found the right team for her, her attitude stinks and as such, her and the Mancs deserve each other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whenever I meet people like that my comment is that you don't pick your football team, your team pick you. I'm from Hove so therefore BHAFC are my team through thick and thin.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I was walking through town on Saturday with the missus, when she spotted one of her friends. She bowled over for a natter.

Having been to the football at the Amex the previous evening, my better half mentioned this to her friend, how much she enjoyed it etc. etc., who responded with a face of - well, hard to judge really - I'd say sympathy. Certainly disdain.

It transpires that this other woman, who was in her late 40s / early 50s, is a Manchester United fan, and travels to Old Trafford each home match. I mock rolled my eyes and asked why - she certainly didn't sound like a Northist. She was from Worthing, and she supports Manchester United 'because I liked Eric Cantona and Ole-Gunnar Solksjaer'. Also, she continued, 'because she hates Liverpool' - so since she was about 35. (Sorry, she hates Liverpool - she didn't say why - so took up supporting Man U?)

I asked if these were good enough reasons to support someone. That put her into over-drive…

'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' was her response. 'I don't go to football to watch a team lose…'. 'So what happens if Manchester United become shit?' I asked. 'Well, they will when Ferguson eventually leaves, and I will have to plan my journeys a little less...'

'You support Brighton' she continued. 'and that club is about as corporate as you can get. Most people who go are corporate fans - I mean where else did you gather up so many new season ticket holders, just because you got a new stadium? I watched your match with Liverpool, and all I could hear were the Liverpool fans. I didn't hear a peep out of Brighton - it's nothing like being at Old Trafford, now there's fans who know how to make a noise. You accuse us of being the Prawn Sandwich Brigade (actually that was your former captain), but Brighton takes the biscuit…'

When we parted, she commented that I had gone quiet - I replied that there are times when silence is the better response - this was my partner's friend, so I held my tongue. But even on parting, she hoped 'your little club could do well one day...'

Am I being a over-sensitive in saying her whole attitude f***ed me off right down to my boots?

Sorry mate but does anyone on NSC really care what some fat middle aged munter thinks about Brighton?

She's irrelevant.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Nothing to do with being a utd fan, everything to do with being a total cock. I bet most utd gas at OT would be embarrassed by comments like that. Must've been hard to not chin her

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I know of a Tottenham supporter and Everton supporter both holding season tickets at the Amex because they like football and want to watch it in nice surroundings on their doorstep. Neither had been to a game at Withdean.

What's wrong with that?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know of a Tottenham supporter and Everton supporter both holding season tickets at the Amex because they like football and want to watch it in nice surroundings on their doorstep. Neither had been to a game at Withdean.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing whatsoever... and it has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
She's a twat mate of the highest twatty order !!!!

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
I have a mate pretty much like this, he's also a united supporter, and he's only seen them a few times over the years. Because Brighton haven't had such a rich history being in the top flight, the albion must be shit. I get so annoyed!!

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
I just find the whole business of supporting a team from miles away quite bizarre. I didn't sit down and pick which club I was going to support. I'm from Brighton, so I'm a Brighton fan. I wouldn't support Spain just because they're quality.

I just don't get it?

I support Barcelona because they are quality!!?? I have found over recent years that as i watch them so much, becuase they are so good to watch that I actually find myself wanting them to win and feel disappointed when they lose! And where as a few years ago I wouldn't have been bothered who won between real and barca, now i hate real for how they play and how they act etc! So i guess what im trying to say is that i know its strange to support someone miles away from where you are from, but people do get attached to certain clubs for what ever reason! We all know that this woman wont have a scooby doo about football which is why we shouldn't get pissed at her but fair play to her for trying to get involved! best way to deal with it was how you did!! rise above it and bit your tongue!

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
fair play. i wouldn't have been so ballsy. i reserve my confrontation purely for the good folks of nsc.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
hate glory hunters,would she support mancs if they played in the conference? not a chance

no,if your team loses and it doesn't f*** up your weekend,then your not a true fan

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Not sure what match she watched but I could not hear Liverpool until the very end of the match..... Tell the wife to get some better friends :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here