Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton - a Manchester United fan speaks...

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The house I live in, there's me, a Hereford fan (awkward), a Villa fan, a Leeds fan, a Birmingham City fan and a Man U fan. All of whom support the club from their birthplace, other than the United fan - who lives in Uxbridge. After their recent successes, we've all been trying our best to persuade him to support his local side QPR as he's always seen them as a second team of sorts. We're making some headway - he even went to watch one of QPR's games down the pub the other day :facepalm:

We all hold on to the hope that he might support a team for the right reasons one day.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Typical ManUtd supporter and its quite clear why none of them went to fans reunited, why dont give a toss about anybody else.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Silence was incredibly commendable given all you probably wanted to say. Not sure I would have stayed 100% quiet. I probably would have responded with something like:

"with all due respect, go and do some research and we'll talk again after. Clearly you don't have all the facts to hand, and I don't want to fall out with you for my wife's sake "

...inflamatory though that may be! If she came back with abuse after that, you can put her views 100% down to blissful ignorance.

I couldn't have let that lie!

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
How many more times and in how many different formats is the smug, self congratulatory, i'm a real fan because I support Brighton thread going to be rehashed ? I mean great, you support your local team , all very commendable, about 30 % of the 18,000 odd season ticket holders even went during the shit years before falmer, but this is repetetive to say the least.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How many more times and in how many different formats is the smug, self congratulatory, i'm a real fan because I support Brighton thread going to be rehashed ? I mean great, you support your local team , all very commendable, about 30 % of the 18,000 odd season ticket holders even went during the shit years before falmer, but this is repetetive to say the least.
I don't think that's the point of the thread, more highlighting the ignorance of the typical Man United fan than self congratulatory I'd say.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Before you get on your usual high-horse, read the thread properly. This wasn't about self-congratulation, or looking for gratification for supporting the local club, this is about the attitude of the head-in-the-clouds fans at the bigger clubs being utterly condascending.

And you could argue that about Man U, Old Trafford hasn't always held 76,000 people.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I was walking through town on Saturday with the missus, when she spotted one of her friends. She bowled over for a natter.

Having been to the football at the Amex the previous evening, my better half mentioned this to her friend, how much she enjoyed it etc. etc., who responded with a face of - well, hard to judge really - I'd say sympathy. Certainly disdain.

It transpires that this other woman, who was in her late 40s / early 50s, is a Manchester United fan, and travels to Old Trafford each home match. I mock rolled my eyes and asked why - she certainly didn't sound like a Northist. She was from Worthing, and she supports Manchester United 'because I liked Eric Cantona and Ole-Gunnar Solksjaer'. Also, she continued, 'because she hates Liverpool' - so since she was about 35. (Sorry, she hates Liverpool - she didn't say why - so took up supporting Man U?)

I asked if these were good enough reasons to support someone. That put her into over-drive…

'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' was her response. 'I don't go to football to watch a team lose…'. 'So what happens if Manchester United become shit?' I asked. 'Well, they will when Ferguson eventually leaves, and I will have to plan my journeys a little less...'

'You support Brighton' she continued. 'and that club is about as corporate as you can get. Most people who go are corporate fans - I mean where else did you gather up so many new season ticket holders, just because you got a new stadium? I watched your match with Liverpool, and all I could hear were the Liverpool fans. I didn't hear a peep out of Brighton - it's nothing like being at Old Trafford, now there's fans who know how to make a noise. You accuse us of being the Prawn Sandwich Brigade (actually that was your former captain), but Brighton takes the biscuit…'

When we parted, she commented that I had gone quiet - I replied that there are times when silence is the better response - this was my partner's friend, so I held my tongue. But even on parting, she hoped 'your little club could do well one day...'

Am I being a over-sensitive in saying her whole attitude f***ed me off right down to my boots?

Firstly, she is not a Manchester united 'fan'. She's an ignoramus.

Secondly, that is how children pick their teams when they don't have an older relative who supports their local team.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Hmmmmm.....

"'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' was her response. 'I don't go to football to watch a team lose…'. "

So three championships in the last ten years and winning a play off final is now not winning "anything".

Oh and by the way last week we played Liverpool and Leeds United. They have won the league 21 times betwen them, the FA Cup 8 times, the European Cup 5 times, the UEFA Cup 5 times, the UEFA Super Cup 3 times.

We only lost 1-2 to Liverpool, and we we drew 3-3 with Leeds having lead with a minute to go.

Teams can only win the competitions they are in.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Many people feel that by supporting a successful club it reflects well on them in terms of personal status and success.

I have FAR more time for a Palace fan, who has to put up with a load of shit and the occasional good season, in the same way that we do, than for any Plastic United spong, and that comes from someone who has lived in Manchester for the majority of my life.

They are delusional.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When? Maybe immediately after their goals, but it was All Albion.

Can't be too sure, I was only keeping an eye on it whilst doing something else (I had thought it had been in the 2nd half), but I was surprised how quiet it was several times. Wasn't the same on Fri, that seemed much louder.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Its pathetic the way people support these premiership clubs hundreds of miles away where they have no connection with the area whatsoever. We have met them all. At least that women does go, but the amount of plastics I hear calling on Talksport from places like Devon and support teams like Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool is a complete and utter joke.

If you ask any of these plastics if they have been to watch their favourite team, the usual answer you will get is, I am going to try and get there this season, which actually means, Never.

And simple truth is they absolutely know sod all about football, which is why if any of these plastics teams lose over the weekend they will be first to call up asking for the managers head.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Well done by The Large One for showing restraint under such provocation.

It is bad enough having so many plastic Man U and Chelsea 'fans' about that have never been to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge etc - but ten times worse when they show such ignorance about why fans should support their own footie teams rather than some trendy champagne charlies from the premiership.

I think I would make it my aim to gradually wear down her so called allegiance and convert her to supporting a local club (even if it was Crawley). 'A sinner that repenteth' etc etc.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I agree with the point about Palace fans ... the kids round there are doing well to resist being drawn in by Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. It's bad enough in Sussex.

Maybe at some point Brighton will follow the premiership elite and begin marketing in earnest to the Far East. No reason why our catchment area shouldn't extend all the way to Rye, Winchelsea and Camber.:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here