Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton - a Manchester United fan speaks...

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Ive never had the inclination to smash a woman over the head with a beer bottle but after reading that. I am only joking of course I would of said you are entitled to your view you manc loving slag.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
I am a great believer that attitudes expressed in such a venomous and poorly rationalised way are indicative of the character of the person as a whole.

Accepted that she travels a long way to games - but this is so she can enjoy the thrill of being associated (always) with the winning side - and not for the love of football. Such a person has a serious personality flaw because there is no integrity in it at all

I would seriously advise your missus to distance herself from this female... I doubt if she has the personality to be a constant friend...........

Dartmoors Green

Sep 3, 2011
At Home Park on saturday,it was noticable that we had fans from all over England,Celtic,Hibernian and even Falkirk fans from Scotland but not one Manure shirt was to be seen anywhere.Very strange that for a club that is supposed to have fans all over the world,not one of the miserable bastards managed to find their way to Home Park,not even the ones that live within 2 miles of the ground.

Says it all.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I was walking through town on Saturday with the missus, when she spotted one of her friends. She bowled over for a natter.

Having been to the football at the Amex the previous evening, my better half mentioned this to her friend, how much she enjoyed it etc. etc., who responded with a face of - well, hard to judge really - I'd say sympathy. Certainly disdain.

It transpires that this other woman, who was in her late 40s / early 50s, is a Manchester United fan, and travels to Old Trafford each home match. I mock rolled my eyes and asked why - she certainly didn't sound like a Northist. She was from Worthing, and she supports Manchester United 'because I liked Eric Cantona and Ole-Gunnar Solksjaer'. Also, she continued, 'because she hates Liverpool' - so since she was about 35. (Sorry, she hates Liverpool - she didn't say why - so took up supporting Man U?)

I asked if these were good enough reasons to support someone. That put her into over-drive…

'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' was her response. 'I don't go to football to watch a team lose…'. 'So what happens if Manchester United become shit?' I asked. 'Well, they will when Ferguson eventually leaves, and I will have to plan my journeys a little less...'

'You support Brighton' she continued. 'and that club is about as corporate as you can get. Most people who go are corporate fans - I mean where else did you gather up so many new season ticket holders, just because you got a new stadium? I watched your match with Liverpool, and all I could hear were the Liverpool fans. I didn't hear a peep out of Brighton - it's nothing like being at Old Trafford, now there's fans who know how to make a noise. You accuse us of being the Prawn Sandwich Brigade (actually that was your former captain), but Brighton takes the biscuit…'

When we parted, she commented that I had gone quiet - I replied that there are times when silence is the better response - this was my partner's friend, so I held my tongue. But even on parting, she hoped 'your little club could do well one day...'

Am I being a over-sensitive in saying her whole attitude f***ed me off right down to my boots?

But was she fit?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Epitome of a plastic fan, an opinion just not worth knowing.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I was walking through town on Saturday with the missus, when she spotted one of her friends. She bowled over for a natter.

Having been to the football at the Amex the previous evening, my better half mentioned this to her friend, how much she enjoyed it etc. etc., who responded with a face of - well, hard to judge really - I'd say sympathy. Certainly disdain.

It transpires that this other woman, who was in her late 40s / early 50s, is a Manchester United fan, and travels to Old Trafford each home match. I mock rolled my eyes and asked why - she certainly didn't sound like a Northist. She was from Worthing, and she supports Manchester United 'because I liked Eric Cantona and Ole-Gunnar Solksjaer'. Also, she continued, 'because she hates Liverpool' - so since she was about 35. (Sorry, she hates Liverpool - she didn't say why - so took up supporting Man U?)

I asked if these were good enough reasons to support someone. That put her into over-drive…

'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' was her response. 'I don't go to football to watch a team lose…'. 'So what happens if Manchester United become shit?' I asked. 'Well, they will when Ferguson eventually leaves, and I will have to plan my journeys a little less...'

'You support Brighton' she continued. 'and that club is about as corporate as you can get. Most people who go are corporate fans - I mean where else did you gather up so many new season ticket holders, just because you got a new stadium? I watched your match with Liverpool, and all I could hear were the Liverpool fans. I didn't hear a peep out of Brighton - it's nothing like being at Old Trafford, now there's fans who know how to make a noise. You accuse us of being the Prawn Sandwich Brigade (actually that was your former captain), but Brighton takes the biscuit…'

When we parted, she commented that I had gone quiet - I replied that there are times when silence is the better response - this was my partner's friend, so I held my tongue. But even on parting, she hoped 'your little club could do well one day...'

Am I being a over-sensitive in saying her whole attitude f***ed me off right down to my boots?

Execution's too good for her.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We've all met them and its just not worth wasting your breath....ffs....they even look down their noses at clubs like Villa and Everton...and as for the likes of Wigan, Blackburn, Norwich, Swansea, QPR etc...well they shouldn't even be in the same division.
Once you've detected the first whiff of lack of respect for the rest of the footballing community...then is the moment to walk away...don't get dragged down to their level. They know nothing of the history and pedigree of the game and aren't interested. They can't even tell you about their own club.
Its interesting how many Man Utd fans went very quiet between 1967 - 1993....oh yes, I nearly forgot...the biggest club in the land failed to land the league title once in those years and even managed to get relagated.
Sure, their more recent history has been phenomenal...success after success...and thats why this woman supports them. If she was 15-20 years older, she would be a Liverpool fan.
Strange innit.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
deaf kant.......why would liverpool be chanting ALBIOOOOON ALBIOOON........AND WERE THE LEFT SIDE BRIGHTON ETC ETC........man u fan from worthing.....double f***ing whammy even tho it's my home town , i can almost picture her stooopid head.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think this creature is the inevitable result of Sky and the Premier league and their marketing onslaught. She is a spectator, not a fan and is representative of a whole group of people who follow football as customers, "consuming" football in the same way they would cinema or theatre or other branches of the entertainment industry.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
In some ways I actually feel sorry for genuine Man Utd fans who have grown up supporting and watching them. I met one a while ago and he felt pretty much the same as many of the comments on here about people who "support" Utd but have never even been to Manchester.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
All things in perspective.....A person who watches "their"team on TV is a follower
A person who goes to see "their" team occassionally is a plastic fan
A person who supports "their" team at all cost and goes whenever possible is a true fan.
A person who supports "their" team and can still go to other clubs...ie Fans United is a true FOOTBALL fan
Brighton born.....Brighton supporter....seemples!

Aug 4, 2011
What a load of bollocks.

I have been to a few United games this year. Liverpool , Arsenal etc
Yeah. The football is great. But I just do not enjoy it anywhere near as much as watching Brighton play..

I am proud to watch Brighton no matter who they play and how they do it. There my local team. Nothing Beats the joy i get in football from the Albion. Specially this year!

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
I watched your match with Liverpool, and all I could hear were the Liverpool fans. I didn't hear a peep out of Brighton - it's nothing like being at Old Trafford, now there's fans who know how to make a noise. You accuse us of being the Prawn Sandwich Brigade (actually that was your former captain), but Brighton takes the biscuit…'

Er well actually the 'prawn sandwich brigade' comment came from Roy Keane - one of their own players at the time. Fans at OT knowing 'how to make a noise' - she is having a bubble isn't she? Was at OT with Crawley Town last season - Utd fans didn't sing one through the whole game even when they scored. When Chelsea played them the other week all you could hear were the Chelsea fans singing '3-1 and you still don't sing'. The lady is talking out of her fat arse!!! :bla::annoyed::rolleyes:

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
This breed of football I can't stand. Ok at least she goes and watches them unlike most cretins wearing glory team shirts. I just can't understand what the appeal is to glory corporate teams like manure. I would sooner watch my local hucknall town or any other local small club before manure. I just don't get these people.

seafordsam

Sep 23, 2011
Not surprising really.....still they say that Man U. fans are like rats.....you're never more than 10m away from one.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Not at all in my humble opinion, I might suggest that you never speak with her again and delete her from your memory, she is not worthy of your friendship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here