Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton - a Manchester United fan speaks...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was walking through town on Saturday with the missus, when she spotted one of her friends. She bowled over for a natter.

Having been to the football at the Amex the previous evening, my better half mentioned this to her friend, how much she enjoyed it etc. etc., who responded with a face of - well, hard to judge really - I'd say sympathy. Certainly disdain.

It transpires that this other woman, who was in her late 40s / early 50s, is a Manchester United fan, and travels to Old Trafford each home match. I mock rolled my eyes and asked why - she certainly didn't sound like a Northist. She was from Worthing, and she supports Manchester United 'because I liked Eric Cantona and Ole-Gunnar Solksjaer'. Also, she continued, 'because she hates Liverpool' - so since she was about 35. (Sorry, she hates Liverpool - she didn't say why - so took up supporting Man U?)

I asked if these were good enough reasons to support someone. That put her into over-drive…

'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' was her response. 'I don't go to football to watch a team lose…'. 'So what happens if Manchester United become shit?' I asked. 'Well, they will when Ferguson eventually leaves, and I will have to plan my journeys a little less...'

'You support Brighton' she continued. 'and that club is about as corporate as you can get. Most people who go are corporate fans - I mean where else did you gather up so many new season ticket holders, just because you got a new stadium? I watched your match with Liverpool, and all I could hear were the Liverpool fans. I didn't hear a peep out of Brighton - it's nothing like being at Old Trafford, now there's fans who know how to make a noise. You accuse us of being the Prawn Sandwich Brigade (actually that was your former captain), but Brighton takes the biscuit…'

When we parted, she commented that I had gone quiet - I replied that there are times when silence is the better response - this was my partner's friend, so I held my tongue. But even on parting, she hoped 'your little club could do well one day...'

Am I being a over-sensitive in saying her whole attitude f***ed me off right down to my boots?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I was walking through town on Saturday with the missus, when she spotted one of her friends. She bowled over for a natter.

Having been to the football at the Amex the previous evening, my better half mentioned this to her friend, how much she enjoyed it etc. etc., who responded with a face of - well, hard to judge really - I'd say sympathy. Certainly disdain.

It transpires that this other woman, who was in her late 40s / early 50s, is a Manchester United fan, and travels to Old Trafford each home match. I mock rolled my eyes and asked why - she certainly didn't sound like a Northist. She was from Worthing, and she supports Manchester United 'because I liked Eric Cantona and Ole-Gunnar Solksjaer'. Also, she continued, 'because she hates Liverpool' - so since she was about 35. (Sorry, she hates Liverpool - she didn't say why - so took up supporting Man U?)

I asked if these were good enough reasons to support someone. That put her into over-drive…

'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' was her response. 'I don't go to football to watch a team lose…'. 'So what happens if Manchester United become shit?' I asked. 'Well, they will when Ferguson eventually leaves, and I will have to plan my journeys a little less...'

'You support Brighton' she continued. 'and that club is about as corporate as you can get. Most people who go are corporate fans - I mean where else did you gather up so many new season ticket holders, just because you got a new stadium? I watched your match with Liverpool, and all I could hear were the Liverpool fans. I didn't hear a peep out of Brighton - it's nothing like being at Old Trafford, now there's fans who know how to make a noise. You accuse us of being the Prawn Sandwich Brigade (actually that was your former captain), but Brighton takes the biscuit…'

When we parted, she commented that I had gone quiet - I replied that there are times when silence is the better response - this was my partner's friend, so I held my tongue. But even on parting, she hoped 'your little club could do well one day...'

Am I being a over-sensitive in saying her whole attitude f***ed me off right down to my boots?

No. Well done on the dignified silence, but I would suggest your christmas card list may need a little editing this year.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Sounds like a typical "I only support a team because they are good" attitude. Clearly knows nothing about football, and clearly an idiot of the highest order.

Some people don't understand that supporting a club doesnt mean just watching them when they are good, but supporting them even when you are bottom of the barrel scraping safety in league 2.

what a twat that woman is.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No, irritating. Must admit I actually did have fears this season it would be a) too corporate and b) all JCLs with no real emotional buy-in. But those fears have been totally dispelled, the atmosphere is rocking, and I can only think it is a lot of people coming back to the fold on a regular basis for, in some cases, the first time in 25-30 years. Plus maybe a lot of youngsters who wanted to support Brighton, but (understandably) hated Withdean and just needed the right nudge, which Falmer has provided.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I understand your annoyance with the 'What is the point of supporting a team if they don't win anything?' comment and that would certainly piss me off BUT at least she makes the effort to go up to Old Trafford and watch her team even if her reasoning is slightly off the mark. 99% of Man Utd supporters would just support them from their armchair watching Super Sunday (or whatever crap name Sky gives it these days).

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I signed a petition from Barnet fans at the bottom of Wembley way before a Man Utd/Chelsea cup final years ago, calling for support in their efforts to persuade a council that's dead set against them to grant permission for a new ground at Copthall at the time. As I was standing there signing, a United fan came over and asked what it was about. When the Barnet fan told him, he just muttered, "Nah, Barnet are shit," in a London accent, and buggered off. How far is that attitude from what's been going on at Plymouth in the last few days? Some people simply have no right to call themselves football fans.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I admire your calmness, however a swift kick to the solar plexus followed by a head butt might have been more appropriate on this occasion, lady or no lady !!!!:whistle:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I signed a petition from Barnet fans at the bottom of Wembley way before a Man Utd/Chelsea cup final years ago, calling for support in their efforts to persuade a council that's dead set against them to grant permission for a new ground at Copthall at the time. As I was standing there signing, a United fan came over and asked what it was about. When the Barnet fan told him, he just muttered, "Nah, Barnet are shit," in a London accent, and buggered off. How far is that attitude from what's been going on at Plymouth in the last few days? Some people simply have no right to call themselves football fans.

It's an attitude that puts things into perspective.

Granted I didn't go to Plymouth, but I am in a certain amount of awe of those who did go to Home Park on Saturday - and take pride that they went in the name of the team I so gladly support.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 18477

your response should have been...

'i support the team NOT THE LEAGUE POSITION!:p'

i can't wait till fergie retires...

i will have a party!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So only because she was your other half's friend you bit your tongue? Or did you realise that whatever you said and however scathing you might have been, she would have laughed in the l'il old Brighton fan's face? Waste of breath bothering to argue with people like that. Just live in hope that she can't get a ticket when we play United at the Amex :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here