Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's a supply and demand issue. Why don't our teenagers want to be mathematicians, scientists and engineers? There's the capacity in HE to teach them.

I don't agree. There is an inability of schools to teach at a good level, and many university degrees are overpriced and leave grads without enough ability to get a STEM job. Supply of low quality education has been artificially inflated due to government subsidies, and demand artificially inflated due to poor choices of students who don't correctly factor in the future cost of their student loan.

An small fraction of STEM graduates go into STEM careers.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't agree. There is an inability of schools to teach at a good level, and many university degrees are overpriced and leave grads without enough ability to get a STEM job. Supply of low quality education has been artificially inflated due to government subsidies, and demand artificially inflated due to poor choices of students who don't correctly factor in the future cost of their student loan.

Try teaching a class of 35 well. Modern teaching is beset by inclusion. Inclusion of people with special needs (can sometimes happen with the right support but there's little funding particularly at secondary level). Inclusion of people with special behavioural needs who once would not have been taught in a mainstream school now often end up in the classroom. Inclusion of children who don't speak English (very common, and now much needed interpretation services have been massively cut). These kind of realities means that schools are working with reduced budgets, with more challenging students, in increased class sizes. Couple that with the general loss of respect for the teaching profession over the past generation and the it is apparent the job is not as easy as it once was and often the targets are unobtainable.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Actually I need to ask your advice here , would an A level in politics or Law be considered on a par with an A level in English Lit or English language? I.E. equally "academic" ? Forgive my ignorance but my son wants to drop English a level and do politics or law instead .

In general the answer is yes. If a University is looking for (say) ABB they normally are relaxed about the A level subject, with possible exception of non science or humanities subjects, such as PE or General Studies.

Alf Jr. should therefore be fine swapping English for Law/Politics.

It's only when the degree subject is building upon existing knowledge (maths, science, medicine etc.) that the A level subject is more of an issue.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed, why should 48% of our population most of whom were born European Citizens be stripped of it, if they want to keep it why not?

Same reason as the 60+ percent that didn't vote for Thatcher had to endure year after years of Thatcherism. The referendum has ben held with a result you don't like. Man up to it!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

After Michael Gove as education minister for a number of years the system has been based on decisions made on the hoof and dogma rather than education and research.

The price of a STEM degree is equal to that of a humanities degree though.

A much smaller fraction of non STEM grads go into STEM careers. Many STEM grads go into financial services, because this country does not value engineering and science.

Student loans only become a cost if graduates earn more than the salary threshold. Presently 42% of student loans are not repaid.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not equally, it does not allow free movement, so why do the remoaners continue to peddle the line that we won't be able to get a trade deal without free movement attached.
If there is no trade deal, do the politicians think that business will cease to trade, they have such a high opinion of themselves. No Whiskey on the tables in Brussels, it would be unthinkable.

The numbers of migrants from EU to Canada is about 20,000 a year out of a total of 300,000 moving to Canada, so it's a non-issue from their point of view as Canadians don't obsess about migration.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
After Michael Gove as education minister for a number of years the system has been based on decisions made on the hoof and dogma rather than education and research.

The price of a STEM degree is equal to that of a humanities degree though.

A much smaller fraction of non STEM grads go into STEM careers. Many STEM grads go into financial services, because this country does not value engineering and science.

Student loans only become a cost if graduates earn more than the salary threshold. Presently 42% of student loans are not repaid.

Agree - I helped run the graduate assessment panels at my last bank for my function, after law and economics it was mostly scientists and mathematicians applying.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
In general the answer is yes. If a University is looking for (say) ABB they normally are relaxed about the A level subject, with possible exception of non science or humanities subjects, such as PE or General Studies.

Alf Jr. should therefore be fine swapping English for Law/Politics.

It's only when the degree subject is building upon existing knowledge (maths, science, medicine etc.) that the A level subject is more of an issue.
thks mate.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Your a Lib Dem voter ... :wozza:

YES.We had an outstanding local MP for years,John Hemming.Then Labour spent shed-loads taxi-ing their supporters to the polls so they could get Jess Phillips in.We've never seen her since,think she's joined Jezbollah.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I see the Lords overruled the frightening new childcare policy the government were trying to slip under the radar. Let's hope they're just as sensible through Brexit negotiations. Afterall the referendum was just advisory and as we've seen today, never trust stupid people in large numbers.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If you were born in England you are British and European at least for now, that's what on your passport, if you have one

That said, some may soon reach utopia soon when we leave the EU and the Union falls apart, perhaps then you really could call yourself an English citizen

The important page,as checked by immigration authorities everywhere,states I come from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.No mention at all of which continent I come from,and nobody looks at the front cover!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The numbers of migrants from EU to Canada is about 20,000 a year out of a total of 300,000 moving to Canada, so it's a non-issue from their point of view as Canadians don't obsess about migration.

Given the size of the country and it's population, it would be surprising if they did "obsess about migration". Only about getting enough, probably.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The important page,as checked by immigration authorities everywhere,states I come from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.No mention at all of which continent I come from,and nobody looks at the front cover!

You are European, you were born European and you will die as such. Unless some seismic disaster occurs and we drift off into the atlantic I don't see this changing for the next few billion years.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You are European, you were born European and you will die as such. Unless some seismic disaster occurs and we drift off into the atlantic I don't see this changing for the next few billion years.
You are mixing continental geography with political geography. There is a difference.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
YES.We had an outstanding local MP for years,John Hemming.Then Labour spent shed-loads taxi-ing their supporters to the polls so they could get Jess Phillips in.We've never seen her since,think she's joined Jezbollah.

Ah, a dodgy local MP .. I just assumed voting for a Europhile party, which hasn't accepted the referendum result and wants another go wouldn't be your bag!

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

this is where we differ though isn't it, I'm pro European, have worked in Rome, Lisbon, Amsterdam, Athens, Paris and Dublin, I loved the countries and their culture, although I recognise they had challenges, especially France. In all these countries I found people engaging and interesting, not frog, eye ties, the hun (insert insult here), we are culturally diverse but the people remain the same. I don't think some of the more negative posters on here feel the same, in fact I think they harp back to a bygone era of colonial glory and world domination, much the same as the voters did in the USA who elected Trump.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You are mixing continental geography with political geography. There is a difference.

No I'm not. If you were born in England you are European. Full stop. Politics has nothing to do with it. Whether we choose to engage in trade or political decisions with other European countries simply doesn't change the fact that England is part of Europe.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No I'm not. If you were born in England you are European. Full stop. Politics has nothing to do with it. Whether we choose to engage in trade or political decisions with other European countries simply doesn't change the fact that England is part of Europe.
Er, yes, I agree, geographically England is part of Europe. That's what I was saying but you have continued to emphasise my point.

Your reply to the previous poster should have addressed political geography but instead invoked continental geography.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here