Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Terms and criteria points system but don't let that spoil the argument. Had friends who tried but they didn't meet the criteria because they were near retirement age and therefore needed a lump sum which was quite sizeable to support themselves unlike good old GB

Its completely relevant to my initial point and your response. You attempted to mislead.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Standing in a garage doesn't make you a car.

Being born in England makes me English or British whichever way you see it. Answer this when filling in any application form what DO they all ask about your nationality yes English , Scottish , Welsh yes in fact all the European countries and beyond. WHAT it doesn't it say is European but just keep on

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"..... And let’s be clear about what is going to happen.

Article Fifty – triggered no later than the end of March.

A Great Repeal Bill to get rid of the European Communities Act – introduced in the next Parliamentary session.

Our laws made not in Brussels but in Westminster.

Our judges sitting not in Luxembourg but in courts across the land.

The authority of EU law in this country ended forever.

The people told us they wanted these things – and this Conservative Government is going to deliver them.

It is, of course, too early to say exactly what agreement we will reach with the EU. It’s going to be a tough negotiation, it will require some give and take. And while there will always be pressure to give a running commentary, it will not be in our national interest to do so.

But let me be clear about the agreement we seek.

I want it to reflect the strong and mature relationships we enjoy with our European friends.

I want it to include cooperation on law enforcement and counter-terrorism work.

I want it to involve free trade, in goods and services.

I want it to give British companies the maximum freedom to trade with and operate within the Single Market – and let European businesses do the same here.

But let’s state one thing loud and clear: we are not leaving the European Union only to give up control of immigration all over again. And we are not leaving only to return to the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice. That’s not going to happen.
"

Prime Ministers Conference speech seemed to give us the basis for Brexit.

So that's clear. Control over immigration at any price. I would imagine that those who voted Brexit would agree with this. So be it. Boris completely misunderstood this. May gets it. Interesting times . . . .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good grief. He's writing on a football messageboard, it's not the Gettysburg Address.

Pulling apart minor points of grammar is a clear sign of someone who's losing the argument.

I'm not involved in the argument but people should rightly be corrected. How else will they learn the fundamentals of English language?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you're European whether you consider yourself it or not. Europe is not a political entity. I doubt you can ever understand even the basics of this.

you're European geographically, or you can be a European in terms of citizenship.

Europe has been a political entity ever since Masstrict in 1992 where they established such premises as this, along with transistioning from EEC to EU, with establishmet of the Single Market, Monetry Union, Common Foriegn Policy and the European Court, the important institutions of statehood. thats the basics of it.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Good grief. He's writing on a football messageboard, it's not the Gettysburg Address.

Pulling apart minor points of grammar is a clear sign of someone who's losing the argument.

Speaking personally, I find it very difficult to respect the opinions of the demonstrably illiterate.

Football message board or not, this threadnaught contains a shit load of debate and discussion on quite high-brow political issues. In my opinion, if you want to be taken seriously when discussing topics such as this you need to make sure you can demonstrate at least a small degree of competency in your native language.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Speaking personally, I find it very difficult to respect the opinions of the demonstrably illiterate.

Football message board or not, this threadnaught contains a shit load of debate and discussion on quite high-brow political issues. In my opinion, if you want to be taken seriously when discussing topics such as this you need to make sure you can demonstrate at least a small degree of competency in your native language.

Have you seen the state of Edukasion in this country? It's ruddy awful. My 26 yr old daughter has a very well paid office job and a whole batch of certificates from her schooling, yet doesn't know the basics of English grammar. Its not taught at school now. So does that then make her illiterate???? And then is it her fault or the 'system'?

Whereas I left school at 16 with sweet FA, 35 years ago or so, I'm a blue collar worker and yet have a far better grasp of the English language than she does.

So on that basis she, nor me, are allowed to voice an opinion on this forum about Brexit or Trump or anything else you consider 'high brow'?? Maybe we can have it headed with "Masters Degree Only" That suit you?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Have you seen the state of Edukasion in this country? It's ruddy awful. My 26 yr old daughter has a very well paid office job and a whole batch of certificates from her schooling, yet doesn't know the basics of English grammar. Its not taught at school now. So does that then make her illiterate???? And then is it her fault or the 'system'?

Whereas I left school at 16 with sweet FA, 35 years ago or so, I'm a blue collar worker and yet have a far better grasp of the English language than she does.

So on that basis she, nor me, are allowed to voice an opinion on this forum about Brexit or Trump or anything else you consider 'high brow'?? Maybe we can have it headed with "Masters Degree Only" That suit you?

I can see why your daughter (in your own words) doesn't know the basics of English grammar.

The post you quoted does not say that you are not allowed to voice an opinion on this forum about Brexit or Trump, merely that if you want to be taken seriously that a small degree of competency needs to be demonstrated.

Masters degrees are not required (although desirable) :lol:

larus

Seriously mate, it's "would have not would of" maybe give up the keyboard warrior course for a creative writing one!!!
Before calling someone else out on their use of the English language, you should really consider your own use of quotation marks.

The correct reposte should have been: it's "would have" not "would of". So maybe an English course for both of you would be productive. :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you're European geographically, or you can be a European in terms of citizenship.

Europe has been a political entity ever since Masstrict in 1992 where they established such premises as this, along with transistioning from EEC to EU, with establishmet of the Single Market, Monetry Union, Common Foriegn Policy and the European Court, the important institutions of statehood. thats the basics of it.

So, in 1992, all those countries which formed part of geographical Europe, which had been in existence for a few millennia, were suddenly not Europeans. I think it would be more correct to differentiate between Europeans and citizens of the EU.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Popped back in here and found it has become a Grammar thread.
I wonder about the implications on the upcoming negotiations between the EU and the U.K. after the Trump victory. There have been many people predicting that the U.K. will find itself in a weak position. With Trump as president would those same people accept that the balance of negotiating power may have shifted ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Really ?
I work with many disadvantaged people and I have complete respect for their opinions. Your good fortune in acquiring a good education does not make me give you more respect. Sorry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's very easy to blame British education and also very easy to pick up a book and improve yourself. If you want to learn you can. But you need to take ownership of it and not just sit back and expect teachers to do it all for you. It's a two-way road.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gotta love NSC eh?

I remember one thread about something completely unrelated turning into a raging argument about coffee. NSC at its finest.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I wonder about the implications on the upcoming negotiations between the EU and the U.K. after the Trump victory. There have been many people predicting that the U.K. will find itself in a weak position. With Trump as president would those same people accept that the balance of negotiating power may have shifted ?

No

Trump has said he wants to withdraw the USA from free trade deals impose tariffs all over the place which will seriusly effect the world economy. He has even gone as far as saying he will take the USA out of the WTO so tit for tat and everyone poorer. As here the ordinary worker voting to be poorer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here