Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom: I would be really unhappy if we finish in the playoffs next season

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
In hindsight, is this comment from Bloom one of the stupidest things ever said?

He demands automatic promotion, and yet here we are 3 days from the start of the season and we have spent f*** ALL.

I am genuinely pleased with the signings we have made so far.... but we are starting our first game of the season on Saturday with a relative total novice (look at his OVERALL league goals record) up front on his own and no recognised left-winger.

I'm sorry, but I think that is pretty f***ing shit given what Bloom said.

You sound like one of those numptys who associate progress with money spent. We have brought in Greer (reported £250k), Sparrow, Calderon, Kish, Painter and Barnes. I dont think we are paying them peanuts!

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
We haven't spent but we've made some quality signings for free which is a good thing. We've filled the positions we needed to, now we just need a striker and a winger with 1.1mill in the bank, can't see why people are complaining to be honest.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't get why some people think money = success and no money spent don't. The players we have brought in are good and would have cost a fair few quid but for the fact they were out of contract at their respective clubs and I dare say would could sell them tomorrow if Poyet so desired.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
In hindsight, is this comment from Bloom one of the stupidest things ever said?

He demands automatic promotion, and yet here we are 3 days from the start of the season and we have spent f*** ALL.

I am genuinely pleased with the signings we have made so far.... but we are starting our first game of the season on Saturday with a relative total novice (look at his OVERALL league goals record) up front on his own and no recognised left-winger.

I'm sorry, but I think that is pretty f***ing shit given what Bloom said.

That's a great idea. Why not bounce a thread three days before the season starts to slag off our Chairman. Even allowing for the fact you didn't realise he had taken back the statement and said he was misquoted, bouncing this thread still seems to be really stupid.

As someone else said above, free transfers do not mean free. Players like Sparrow, Greer, Painter etc will be on good wages and have high signing on fees.

Finally, we are still looking for three or four more players. For all we know we could be set to announce them this afternoon. I am sure the money is available but Poyet does not want to spend it on the wrong player. In my mind the striker we sign will have a big impact on our season so we should be prepared to wait until transfer deadline day if necessary to get the right man.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Don't get why some people think money = success and no money spent don't. The players we have brought in are good and would have cost a fair few quid but for the fact they were out of contract at their respective clubs and I dare say would could sell them tomorrow if Poyet so desired.

Just look at last pre season. We bought Wright, Tunnicliffe, Bennett and Dickinson for 6 figure fees. Of those only one will be playing for us a year on while two have left (and we have made losses on them) and a third is on a season long loan. I would rather sign free transfers like Painter and Sparrow.

To people questioning our signings, how many of you had heard of Painter and Calderon in January?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just look at last pre season. We bought Wright, Tunnicliffe, Bennett and Dickinson for 6 figure fees. Of those only one will be playing for us a year on while two have left (and we have made losses on them) and a third is on a season long loan. I would rather sign free transfers like Painter and Sparrow.

To people questioning our signings, how many of you had heard of Painter and Calderon in January?

Fincley Seagull - he speaks sense.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I think in or around the play offs is attainable, would be great to be in the new stadium in the championship though :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
For me this is a bit of a 'mis-quote' in a way. Ithink Bloom would be happy with the play-offs and Gus has said that's the aim...

If we make the play offs I think we have nothnig to lose - if we win, great. If we don't at least we're making progress going into Falmer.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Greer, Sparrow, Calderon, Kish, Painter and Barnes. All first team players, all quality.

Greer, Sparrow are the standouts for me, I think they will have terrific seasons. COME ON ALBION!!! :albion:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
good stuff tony. nothing like a bit of AMBITION at the start of a season. we finished the season 6th in the form league and then improved the squad over the summer. now watch us go!

really think we're going to put in a massive performance on saturday.

is there a better chairmen in the football league than Sir Tony?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Greer, Sparrow, Calderon, Kish, Painter and Barnes. All first team players, all quality.

Greer, Sparrow are the standouts for me, I think they will have terrific seasons. COME ON ALBION!!! :albion:
Calderon stands out for me and i bet he's on a fair few quid,but yes some great freebies:thumbsup:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Where do you get £1.1m from?

Last years budget + 10%
150k Dickinson
300k Crofts

Virgo + Forster off the wage bill.

1.1 mil prob under estimating.

It's finding the striker that is the problem , not the money,

We won't be top 6 without a left winger and striker though. May flirt with play offs though

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I'm delighted with the signings we have made and I think our squad looks great on the whole, but the simple fact is that we do not have a cat's chance in hell of going up with our current strikers.

Murray (although unplayable on his day) is woefully inconsistent, injury-prone and has a dreadful disciplinary record. I like Barnes, he is a trier and he has a good attitude but the simple fact is that his goals record at league level is, on the whole, pitiful. Holroyd likewise. And then there is Gary Hart. Top bloke, but I can't see him firing 20 goals this season.

Compare our strikers to Barnard, Lambert and Connolly (all prolific goalscorers throughout their careers at this level).

Perhaps Bloom has retracted his statement (although no one has provided a link or a quote, despite several requests), but it is still a pretty ridiculous thing to say if you aren't willing to spend any significant money on bringing in the players that will get us 2nd place. The purchase of Greer was funded by the sale of Crofts and Dickinson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here