Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom: I would be really unhappy if we finish in the playoffs next season

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

"I would be really unhappy if we were in the playoffs next season" "We are aiming for top two" "Gus is the same, there are no guarantees, but everything is looking good, on and off the pitch"

:clap2::clap2:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nothing like a bit of pressure to succeed. Works so well for leeds...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lets hope Tonys predictions are better than Uncle S's :lolol:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Great to hear, classic psychology. You get the team thinking they're top two material, give them loads of confidence and then hope they live up to it. We've already seen what the extra confidence Gus gives has done to the form of the likes of Elphick, El Abd, Murray and Carol. It's funny though isn't it, people moan when we show lack of ambition and then worry when show some proper ambition. In Tony and Gus we have two people with a really strong winners mentality and the charisma to back it up. I can't see them throwing their toys out the pram if the plan doesn't go exactly 100% as they want it but you've got to aim high.

gonefishing

gonefishing
Oct 26, 2009
haywards heath
im really happy with our chairmans ambitions, but he will need to keeping backing gus and more.We are on a great run but still need surgery and strenthing to mount a serious challenge.Remember we have alot of loan players, we need to try and make them or some of them more permanent and add to them.Im convinced we will be in the championship debt free and pushing for play offs to prem in 3 years or am i mad?

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
Well I would be mighty disappointed if he said were aiming for play offs or a top half finish next season. OF COURSE we will be wanting a top two finish, duh!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
im really happy with our chairmans ambitions, but he will need to keeping backing gus and more.We are on a great run but still need surgery and strenthing to mount a serious challenge.Remember we have alot of loan players, we need to try and make them or some of them more permanent and add to them.Im convinced we will be in the championship debt free and pushing for play offs to prem in 3 years or am i mad?

No not mad.

The club wants to go places and we have a new stadium that needs to be filled regularly

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Have a think about our position in January and Gus managed to convince some quality players to come here, only until the end of the season, and play for him.
Imagine what sort of players he will be able to attract over the summer to a club pushing for the title and hoping to establish themselves in the championship for their new stadium

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Much BETTER than AIMING for mid table MEDIOCRITY like that TINPOT tosser Dick Tight did :angry::angry::angry:

Is this the very same Dick Tight who virtually saved you from going bust and then laid the foundations for falmer and the ambitions of the new chairman ? Oh what short memories.

Bring back Archer, Stanley and Belotti :glare:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm sure thats misquoted by the Argus. I heard that interview the other day, I think it was after the 3-0 win against Tranny on Sussex counties.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Encouraging to hear. League One will be strong again next season so Bloom will have to back Poyet in the transfer market to realise those ambitions. It's going to be a very busy summer with another high turn over of players: Forster has already gone and likely to be joined by Whing, Wright, Cox, Hart, Hawkins, Smith, Davies, Dickinson and possibly FDM. That's 10 players.

Poyet is on record has saying he wants a smaller but better squad but youngsters aside, if you take away our loans/short term contracts and those who are out of favour, we currently only have about 10 first team players and some of those are out of contract at the end of season or out on loan (Tunnicliffe, McNulty). So I'd expect Poyet to bring in another 10 players, some of whom are here on loan already, if we can get them:

Goalkeeper: Brezovan + another goalkeeper to challenge him.

Defenders: Virgo, will rightly get a new contract. We have El-Abd & Elphick and I'd keep McNulty and Tunnicliffe. Poyet will surely try and sign Calderon + back up right back, a recognised left-back ( would Painter come? ) plus another central defender if Tunnicliffe decides to go.

Midfield: We'll only have Navarro, Dicker, Crofts, Bennett so will need strengthening with a left winger, Lua Lua would be brilliant but expect competition for him, a playmaker - Lee Hendrie ( has already said he's up for a permanent move) and some decent cover/experience to add compettion for places and give to Poyet more options.

Strikers: Will Poyet go with 4-5-1 again next season or switch it round? In either case we look thin with only Murray and Holroyd so will need another proven goalscorer + promising youngster - Barnes?

With the club looking for promotion next season and Falmer rising these are exciting times.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's great to be aiming for the top two spots, every clubs' first aim should be the division title, then automatic promotion, then play offs, then serious challenge, the safe as soon as possible, then survival, then anything but then wooden spoon, then a quick return.

However, what concerns me is "I would be really unhappy if we were in the playoffs next season" sounds like it could be a veiled threat. I know, it could just be an innocent statement. But it could be a threat of "if we don't there will be repercussions" and as leeds have sown the past few seasons, that sort of pressure can be counter-productive.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
But it could be a threat of "if we don't there will be repercussions" and as leeds have sown the past few seasons, that sort of pressure can be counter-productive.

...but Leeds are a huge club, who should be beating teams like us every week, it is only natural that they should have massive expectations...bloody hilarious though that they were stuffed this week by Swindon Town!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here