Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wrexham v Boreham Wood 6.30 today

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I doubt anyone else has ever equated buying property in London with property in Wrexham, so well done for that.

It's a shame you won't ever watch the series as it might slightly alter some of your preconceptions.
£3m losses coupled with promotion et al in non league football will never alter my preconceptions of them. Delighted to see Dorking Wanderers stayed up this week in the National Premier despite being semi pro. They were in the SCFL a few years back. Got no time for Wrexham I'm afraid.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
£3m losses coupled with promotion et al in non league football will never alter my preconceptions of them. Delighted to see Dorking Wanderers stayed up this week in the National Premier despite being semi pro. They were in the SCFL a few years back. Got no time for Wrexham I'm afraid.
Our (much greater) losses in getting promoted were presumably totally acceptable to you though?

Your view seems to be that they don't belong in non-league football. Well, now they aren't, so you should be happy, yes?

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The best bit of the Wrexham programme was when Ryan Reynolds basically told one of the fans that the way they behaved towards previous set up was part of the problem. They were having a pint in the pub by the ground and it was outstanding. It was very very difficult for managers of the team when it was “fan run”

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Our (much greater) losses in getting promoted were presumably totally acceptable to you though?

You're view seems to be that they don't belong in non-league football. Well, now they aren't, so you should be happy, yes?
They're a Football League club like Notts County are, who got a 16k home crowd this season. I just don't get the love in for Wrexham.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
In the old days it was down-on-their-luck English nobles angling to marry the sons or daughters of American millionaires to bail them out.
Now it's football clubs. Which at least has more social utility than the earlier version, especially in a place like Wrexham.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tony Bloom is a Sussex boy though, those Hollywood attention seekers aren't or local to north Wales.
They're not, but that doesn't mean that a place cannot take on meaning. If I was a filthy rich individual I would probably try and turn Torquay United into a league club again. I've only visited there about 20 times in my whole life, but the place has a special meaning from childhood. Or perhaps Aldershot Town, because my first home was close by. I could easily transfer that affection to any town I passed through when I was in Victoria, because of my peculiar liking for AFL now.

It doesn't mean I am any less emotionally involved than our Tony. It's not like I'm a Saudi murderer with an agenda, I just want to create a new emotional connection.

The Wrexham actors have done no wrong. I'm not into films and I'd never heard of them. I still don't know how they became famous. I just hope they keep it up and that Wrexham fans realise there is probably only so far they can go. In the same way as we know that we will never be Chelsea or Newcastle United. which is probably a good thing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To be honest, do you see any team beating Notts County in the play offs.
I hope not, otherwise next year could be a bit silly at the top again. Notts County really need to be out of there.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
2 months ago the owners of Mint Mobile sold their stakes to TMobile for $1.3bn.
That's just one of Reynolds business interests, out side of Marvel.
He had roughly a 25% stake so saw c£325m from the sale to T Mobile. There was also the recent aviator gin sale

The point being he’s not a billionaire by any means and McElhenney is worth about $60m.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I am puzzled by the idea of these guys being the problem, rather than local crooks wanting to splash the cash or human rights abusing states wanting to take over
Yes but then it's also a bit odd quite so many are against ManofSussex comments and happy for Wrexham when a large part of the last few years we've been complaining about the unfairness of the competition in the PL due to the money some clubs have

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He had roughly a 25% stake so saw c£325m from the sale to T Mobile. There was also the recent aviator gin sale

The point being he’s not a billionaire by any means and McElhenney is worth about $60m.
The Aviation Gin sale is meant to have got him about $60 million and another $50 million in legacy payments over the next decade. He only had minor stakes in these companies but because he’s Ryan Reynolds he’s obviously going to be the public face of them as much as possible. People would much rather know they are drinking the same gin that Deadpool does, no one cares that the majority of the company is probably owned by some faceless investment corporation.

Both Reynolds and McElhenney are very rich men, but they are a long long way from being billionaires. They seem to be decent people though and have really brought into the Wrexham project rather than just seeing it as another investment and a chance to make a TV show.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No problem with Wrexham at all. Whilst it is frustrating for the other NL clubs their takeover seems to have been uniquely wholesome when compared to corrupt sportswashing BS further up the leagues. Their fans were supportive of us when we needed it, and ours theirs. It’s a good club run by two likeable rich men who have revived not only a grand old football club but a town.
Exactly this :clap2:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes but then it's also a bit odd quite so many are against ManofSussex comments and happy for Wrexham when a large part of the last few years we've been complaining about the unfairness of the competition in the PL due to the money some clubs have
It only seems odd if you ignore the actual net losses of Wrexham compared to Notts County etc and if you also stick your head in the sand about the owner subsidized losses at the Albion. A lot of the complaints from Albion fans have been because we have been propelled to a level where Tony’s spending power no longer gives us an in built advantage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They seem to be decent people though and have really brought into the Wrexham project rather than just seeing it as another investment and a chance to make a TV show.
This.

I wouldn't be surprised if those in #TeamWrexham are people who have watched the show.
While those against can't/won't/refuse to watch due to their preconception of the project.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If you have the option, I found the TV really quite enjoyable. It’s well put together and shows a bit of insight around football/players/staff/supporters, and I’m looking forward to season two now!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I suspect it's because Wrexham are not seen as a threat - It's easy to pat a team on the head and say well done on spending your way out of the division when that division is 4 levels down. I don't recall the same mood when Derby were spending their way not out of the championship :)

Opinions in football are largely swayed by emotion though aren't they, many on here have decried clubs that have ended up in bother for their 'reckless' overspending but somehow Wrexham are to be championed. Only time will tell how where their story goes but football isn't Hollywood, it doesn't have an ending except when a club goes tits up.

In the interest of openness, I know a family of Wrexham fans and they're absolute xxxxs so that probably doesn't help lighten my opinion. And I occasionally have to go to or past Wrexham, it's not pleasurable.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It only seems odd if you ignore the actual net losses of Wrexham compared to Notts County etc and if you also stick your head in the sand about the owner subsidized losses at the Albion. A lot of the complaints from Albion fans have been because we have been propelled to a level where Tony’s spending power no longer gives us an in built advantage.
No it's odd that people have an issue with someone not being excited about one of the massive spenders getting promoted. I'm not sure there's any real similarity with us and them, I don't remember us outspending many teams at any point recently. The promotion season we had the same spend as Huddersfield and more than half that of Newcastle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No it's odd that people have an issue with someone not being excited about one of the massive spenders getting promoted. I'm not sure there's any real similarity with us and them, I don't remember us outspending many teams at any point recently. The promotion season we had the same spend as Huddersfield and more than half that of Newcastle.
Compared to those without parachute payments we certainly spent and no coincidence it was our biggest ever season for wages when we did get promoted.

Likewise League One we certainly stepped it up. Subtly of course but without Blooms investment we’d never have made those big steps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here