Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wrexham v Boreham Wood 6.30 today

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pleased for the people of Wrexham.

Pleased for Rob McElhenney who very much gets the role of sports teams in local communities.

Pleased for Ryan Reynolds for whom this was probably just a bit of a laugh, but has become far more absorbed than he could have ever imagined he would be.

Pleased for football and the understanding of the wonderful of the footballing pyramid in the US.

Don’t understand how anyone supporting a club where the owner has put in the best part of half a billion quid can get funny about another club who managed to pull a rich dude or dudes.

Looking forward to season 2.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It's a great story, isn't it? Wealthy American owners taking over a down in the dumps club for all the RIGHT reasons, bringing joy and hope to a deprived fan base and community. Absolute POLAR OPPOSITES to obscenely wealthy American over taking over revolting club, from la-di-da West London, with a hideously arrogant and entitled fan base. It absolutely warms the cockles of my heart tonight to see Wrexham get promotion, and Chelsea continue to be the most contemptible, laughable club across all the football leagues at the moment.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Delighted for them. Am thinking of a Wrexham supporting mate Pete who is sadly no longer with us but we shared a good taste in music aswell as football teams and he’d have been delighted with today. This one’s for you Pete!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
f*** 'em. Bloody Hollywood owners underwriting all their losses and making a documentary - it's as non-league football as Gareth Bale's left testicle. Hope they get relegated from League 2 next season after catching diarrhoea at every away game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a great story, isn't it? Wealthy American owners taking over a down in the dumps club for all the RIGHT reasons, bringing joy and hope to a deprived fan base and community. Absolute POLAR OPPOSITES to obscenely wealthy American over taking over revolting club, from la-di-da West London, with a hideously arrogant and entitled fan base. It absolutely warms the cockles of my heart tonight to see Wrexham get promotion, and Chelsea continue to be the most contemptible, laughable club across all the football leagues at the moment.
I can't help thinking in some small recess of Boehly's mind he was also buying into the 'hero owner' complex.

7 days ago he was repeatedly and very very loudly called a 'cant' by 3,000 strangers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't help thinking in some small recess of Boehly's mind he was also buying into the 'hero owner' complex.

7 days ago he was repeatedly and very very loudly called a 'cant' by 40,000 strangers.
Fixed for you.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

7 days ago he was repeatedly and very very loudly called a 'cant' by 3,000 strangers.
Not sure about here in Sussex, but in Hampshire who is the more popular owner woukd you say, Ryan Reynolds or Rob McElhenney?

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Pleased for Ryan Reynolds for whom this was probably just a bit of a laugh, but has become far more absorbed than he could have ever imagined he would be.
He's often mentioned over here as part of the group trying to buy the Ottawa Senators (NHL) I suspect he is using this as a learning tool for being an owner of a sports team. He's not a billionaire but he is worth a few hundred million... so not too shabby.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
f*** 'em. Bloody Hollywood owners underwriting all their losses and making a documentary - it's as non-league football as Gareth Bale's left testicle. Hope they get relegated from League 2 next season after catching diarrhoea at every away game.
I am puzzled by the idea of these guys being the problem, rather than local crooks wanting to splash the cash or human rights abusing states wanting to take over

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That won't happen. Looking at this season, they are primed to head straight through the top end of Div 4.

Always important to remember, if it wasn't for Tony Bloom we may well have been meeting them the season after. We are a Div 3 club made good by a major investor who cares. They are a Div 3 club being returned to there by a major investor who cares.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I am puzzled by the idea of these guys being the problem, rather than local crooks wanting to splash the cash or human rights abusing states wanting to take over
Fair enough. I just think they're a bunch of attention seeking, American ****s. I'd frankly trust them as much as local crooks and human rights abusing states.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That won't happen. Looking at this season, they are primed to head straight through the top end of Div 4.

Always important to remember, if it wasn't for Tony Bloom we may well have been meeting them the season after. We are a Div 3 club made good by a major investor who cares. They are a Div 3 club being returned to there by a major investor who cares.
Tony Bloom is a Sussex boy though, those Hollywood attention seekers aren't or local to north Wales.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough. I just think they're a bunch of attention seeking, American ****s. I'd frankly trust them as much as local crooks and human rights abusing states.
Have you seeked any of their attention?

W2W goes some way to explain their 'journey', as you would expect from their programme.
Irrespective of their reason to start the process they're commitment now does seem genuine.
Reynolds now even owns a house down the road.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Attention from the Hollywood stars...in not the Premier League, but the conference?
It's a wonderful story (which they've underwritten by £3M this season) and made a documentary series etc, etc when 5 years ago they couldn't have pointed at Wales on a map, let alone Wrexham.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's a wonderful story (which they've underwritten by £3M this season) and made a documentary series etc, etc when 5 years ago they couldn't have pointed at Wales on a map, let alone Wrexham.
Not every club can be lucky enough to have a wealthy, local owner. I have posted links earlier on this thread showing comparisons to not dissimilar losses at other National League clubs.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Have you seeked any of their attention?

W2W goes some way to explain their 'journey', as you would expect from their programme.
Irrespective of their reason to start the process they're commitment now does seem genuine.
Reynolds now even owns a house down the road.
No, I've just wanted every team they've played to beat them. As I say, they're as non league football as Gareth Bale is. I hope Reynolds buying a property down the road is as emotional for them as Roman Abramovich buying property in London 20 years ago must have been for Chelsea fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, I've just wanted every team they've played to beat them. As I say, they're as non league football as Gareth Bale is. I hope Reynolds buying a property down the road is as emotional for them as Roman Abramovich buying property in London 20 years ago must have been for Chelsea fans.
I doubt anyone else has ever equated buying property in London with property in Wrexham, so well done for that.

It's a shame you won't ever watch the series as it might slightly alter some of your preconceptions.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
One’s Canadian for starters and Rob’s written one of the funniest and longest running sitcoms of all time. The first series was filmed on a handheld camcorder - he’s come from borderline poverty - they are decent people.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah cos everyone is buying up property in Wrexham ffs (although it's beautiful around the town itself). Watch the series and you'll think differently I'm sure. They are very genuine guys (albeit quite cheesy American) who clearly very soon after buying the club are totally won over by the town, its people and the club. A absolute world away from what you're imagining the situation to be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here