Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wrexham v Boreham Wood 6.30 today

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No problem with Wrexham at all. Whilst it is frustrating for the other NL clubs their takeover seems to have been uniquely wholesome when compared to corrupt sportswashing BS further up the leagues. Their fans were supportive of us when we needed it, and ours theirs. It’s a good club run by two likeable rich men who have revived not only a grand old football club but a town.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do they still remember that we helped them out? I think we had a sort of 'Fans Utd' thing for them. Didn't we have a banner for them at the play-off game at Cardiff?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not sure we're in a position to criticise a club for having a wealthy benefactor who helps them rise up the leagues.

Wrexham have had some seriously shitty owners in the past (comparable with our own) and I don't begrudge them finally having people in charge who put some cash in. And I'm not sure anyone connected to Wrexham has called their success this season a "fairytale", that just seems to be a strawman for jealous fans of other clubs to beat them with. If anything, the fairytale is the way the fans kept their team alive that meant there was still a club for Hollywood to invest in.

How has a wealthy benefactor helped us climb the leagues more than any normal owner?? Our championship budget was moderate, and our current budget is also mediocre for a PL side.

I have no issue with Wrexham, I take issue with the nonsensical attention they are getting since they were taken over by billionaire owners, they are the Man City of the conference.

They have Ben Foster in goal ffs, he was playing in the PL last season, they have several players on 4 times the wage of any other teams in the conference, Mullin I believe is on 5k a week.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How has a wealthy benefactor helped us climb the leagues more than any normal owner?? Our championship budget was moderate, and our current budget is also mediocre for a PL side.

I have no issue with Wrexham, I take issue with the nonsensical attention they are getting since they were taken over by billionaire owners, they are the Man City of the conference.

They have Ben Foster in goal ffs, he was playing in the PL last season, they have several players on 4 times the wage of any other teams in the conference, Mullin I believe is on 5k a week.
So you think we would have had a 200 million pound stadium and players like Wayne Bridge, Vicente and all the signings since with Dick Knight (or someone with a similar wallet) in charge ? Every single bit of our success from players bought in the Championship and PL to wages paid in the PL, the training facilities, the academy etc comes from our wealthy owner. Get real. Enjoy the game.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

Not sure that’s true, Tony bankrolled our rise up the leagues for years. Yes we didn’t pay massive wages but he had to put a lot of money into the club without which we wouldn’t be where we are today. IMO of course.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Did our seasonal losses (almost £70m most recently before the latest profit) get written off then ? 2p in the pound??

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
So you think we would have had a 200 million pound stadium and players like Wayne Bridge, Vicente and all the signings since with Dick Knight (or someone with a similar wallet) in charge ? Every single bit of our success from players bought in the Championship and PL to wages paid in the PL, the training facilities, the academy etc comes from our wealthy owner. Get real. Enjoy the game.
You could literally say the same thing about any owner, that’s not to say that Bloom isn’t magnificent because he is but you can’t tell me Bloom is anything comparable to these two buying a conference club, it made the conference a totally uneven playing field.

Difference is, our owner (Bloom) didn’t come in and sign players on 4x the wages of other clubs in our league.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
You could literally say the same thing about any owner, that’s not to say that Bloom isn’t magnificent because he is but you can’t tell me Bloom is anything comparable to these two buying a conference club, it made the conference a totally uneven playing field.

Difference is, our owner (Bloom) didn’t come in and sign players on 4x the wages of other clubs in our league.
Yes but they had to pay a premium to get players to move to north Wales! We on the other hand had beautiful Sussex to play football in. No brainer.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

Who's to say he wouldn't if we'd been in the conference/national league? In terms of pure numbers, Tony has put in far far more money than Wrexham's owners. You seem to suggest they should have spent less in order to make the league more competitive and give themselves less chance of promotion? Surely it's better that, given their current situation, they are promoted to a level where their finances are comparable to the rest of the league.

Should also be noted that Notts County aren't exactly frugal by the standards of the division

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not sure that’s true, Tony bankrolled our rise up the leagues for years. Yes we didn’t pay massive wages but he had to put a lot of money into the club without which we wouldn’t be where we are today. IMO of course.

I’m no expert but these articles suggest a loss of around £3m which includes around a million for the freehold to the Racecourse Ground. The figures in the Athletic article suggest that is not much out of kilter with Notts County or even Woking. Granted Wrexham have spent a lot but much of it is funded by a big increase in income. It doesn’t sound much like Man City level differential to me.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
The problem is with only having one automatic promotion spot. Which ever team misses out will be missing out despite a record breaking season.
Pyramids get narrower at the top, so it's kind of baked in...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I know they’ve bought the league and I’d be pissed (even thought there’s 7 or 8 of these types in the prem) if we were in there with them (like Grimsby / Notts Co etc have been) but a great little club. Remember we played them last game in 2004 or 2005 when we won in the play offs and there were protests. We joined in and they came and clapped us etc. Always good feeling amongst the fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here