Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you want to go to Marseille away?

Would you want to go to Marseille away?

• Yes, yes!

Votes: 208 69.6%
  • No chance.

Votes: 91 30.4%

• Total voters

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I got robbed at knifepoint there 20 years ago by 2 black Africans. It was unsafe at night and quieter places in the day.it was full of black Africans who must have been illegals. Still scary to this day when I think about the incident. I thought I was a gonna.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My Ex-wife is from and lives in Marseille as do my ex-in-laws. Definitly would not bee on my visit list if we did get drawn there.

Been there a few times, would love to go again to watch BHA.

I have read that 3 times and still cannot reconcile sentence 2 with sentence 3 🧐

He'd love to go back to the city but wouldn't be popping in on his ex and in-laws.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yep Marseilles is an utterly brilliant city.

Also where my great-grandfather was stationed as a stevedore during the winter of 1916/17 in between delightful summers at The Somme and then Vimy Ridge.
Like Hangletongull I went to the 98 World Cup match and took my 15 year old off school 🫢 for the experience. Holy shit - armed guards to meet us and shunted into coaches and carted off to a large pen for our own protection from riots that had been going on from the previous night. Luckily we had match tickets and went to the ground whilst that area was pelted with bottles and anything intruders could get hold of. Chaos!
guards all over the place, thank goodness, whilst we waited for our train back to Lille.
Not something I’d like to repeat.
Apart from that, nice weather, a good view of Shearer’s goal and a win.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Absolutely toxic city.

If I went, I definitely wouldn't wear colours. Or acknowledge any of you. *practises gallic shrug*
Don’t forget the “bof” and string of onions around your neck.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to Holland v S Korea there in 98, spent the day in the Vieux Port and it was fine. Was a week after the England Tunisia riots and you would never have known that there was devastation the week before.
Same here.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Undecided, but leaning towards it might be one to miss.

Will wait until the draw is made and see who we have to play as if Marseille are in our group, the other two cities may be more attractive, and not sure financially I can go to all three away group games.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Awful place worked there for a while and plenty of the city is no go even for the French a real problem city.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I was thinking about this earlier. This is the advice Spurs fans were given when they played away there last season:

I've not been before with England, I think I'd go. I'm sure trouble can be avoided if you take the right precautions
Supporters will not be permitted to bring a battery pack/power bank into the stadium. Blimey, I carry mine in to grounds all the time.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I was in Toulouse a few days before watching, I think, Denmark. Another lovely city.
Yes, nice red brick architecture and a Japanese style park. Toulouse has a lot to offer. A rugby mad city, which will no doubt come alive for the imminent World Cup. Even though Ntamack is injured.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don't the papers say that about parts of London?
Is Marseille really that bad or is it just Parisian media being dramatic as someone suggested earlier in this thread?
Lots of Algerian and other immigrants from various African countries mightily annoyed with the way the French govt treats them . It’s way more dangerous than places like Brixton .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I got robbed at knifepoint there 20 years ago by 2 black Africans. It was unsafe at night and quieter places in the day.it was full of black Africans who must have been illegals. Still scary to this day when I think about the incident. I thought I was a gonna.
It has I believe the highest murder rate of any French city or certainly one of the highest . I don’t know how much illegal immigration contributes to the number but quite a bit I would guess .

I’m sure reading the Guardian they would paint it as another romantic southern French city , it’s anything but nowdays .

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Went there some 15 (?) or so years ago on a mellow stag do. Watched the England rugby game (might even have been against France) in a pub quite happily, no issues. Interesting City, only annoyance was how quaintly old fashioned it seemed that everywhere closed in the afternoon at the weekend because we were late getting up, due to hangovers. Had a lovely late night dirty kebab there. If I could afford it (which won't happen) I'd go again.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But what are the Marseille travelling support like? Basically if there’s a train SNAFU like Saturday are they going to burn the place down?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I worked there a lot between about 1990 and 2010 and have seen all the sides of the city.

On my first visit I was taken to a restaurant for dinner where the menu was hand carved into a piece of wood and the top end wines were £800 a bottle to getting all our currency stolen from a hotel room and the car being attacked by a bunch of youths like something out of a safari park.

I've stayed in the Vieux Port area but also seen burning cars pushed off the road on the hilly area outside of town.

That said, I'm there in just over 3 weeks for the England rugby match and can't wait, it will be good to re-visit some areas I haven't seen for 30 years.

You need to keep your wits about you and you should be fine...it's not called French Algeria for nothing but the city has a lot to offer and is magnificent and steeped in culture if you know where to look.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Been here once a week for the last 4 months. Though I didn't get to see much, seems a lovely city. Would love to come back properly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Was the for England and been twice for work . Would go no probs . Lot of character

Not as bad as some saying

Would be an edge but same as a lot of places .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been here once a week for the last 4 months. Though I didn't get to see much, seems a lovely city. Would love to come back properly.
Absolutely, it’s certainly another romantic southern French city!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was the for England and been twice for work . Would go no probs . Lot of character

Not as bad as some saying

Would be an edge but same as a lot of places .
Quite, another romantic southern French city!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here