Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WORST holiday destination you've ever had the misfortune to visit

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was thinking the same! How can anyone holiday in Burnley, visit maybe, we have been there for football and stayed overnight on both occasions, but hardly a holiday destination............is it?

i've done the Leeds/Liverpool canal through Burnley :facepalm:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Barcelona - booked for a week, left on third day: a truly horrible place. I'd seen Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell by then and couldn't stand any more of it. Got a train to France, had a great couple of days, spent a night in Gerona, which was lovely and returned to Barcelona just in time for the flight out.

I also had a week in Dubai for work and was amazed that there was a place on earth even worse than Barcelona.

You are talking about Barcelona in Catalonia right? Depends on the basis in which you visit...amazing city break, not so good for a relaxing family holiday (obviously)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Memphis as part of a road trip. Only place I've ever been on holiday and not felt safe.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Blackpool

An ex of an had a story of when she was early teens, her family went to Blackpool and stayed in a guest house. There was no paper in the toilet, so a previous resident had improvised and used the net curtain....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The worst holiday I have ever had was in 1989 when we went o Turkey. It started with an 8 hour delay at Gatwick duee to them having to fly a part in for the plane.

This meant that the airport was closed at Izmir so they landed in a military airport followed by a 6 hour coach ride over the mountains to Ortakent. On arrival at the apartotel there was no hot water as it was all heated by solar. That was the last time I used a package holiday. I am sure that Turkey has improved since then as it is now very popular but this was in their early days of being a holiday spot for british tourists.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I don't think I've ever been on a holiday and thought that EVERYTHING was crap - there's always something that you can look back on and enjoy.
You just make the most of wherever you are
With the added benefit of hindsight there are probably places that I wouldn't have gone too but that's looking back now when we've all grown older , wiser (?), and more sophisticated (?)
Good point but examples please.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Llandudno? Cracking little town and very popular. The architecture and beaches certainly put Brighton to shame.

To be fair I was compelled to go with my parents so I haven't been back since the 1970's. Can't remember much about the beaches except they were usually covered in Jellyfish...

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Portugal---The Algarve thirty years ago.

Rabid dogs down every alley that growled & chased us :eek:

Rabid TIME SHARE sharks down every street :ohmy:

My naive other half got roped in despite me giving her 'the eyes':rolleyes:

We spent 3 hours on a Carvoeiro cliff top being given the 'HARD' sell.

This was in 90deg heat with a free warm coke FFS!!!!!!!

Eventually all the Brit Blokes threatened violence unless we got the promised free taxis back into town.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Sunny beach for me as worst place and that was before the party crowd got there. Nessabar down the road was a nice place.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Although i've been twice (holidays both paid for me) and i generally enjoyed the holidays, i didn't like the island of Malta. No natural beeches, everywhere was full of part built industrial and commercial areas which were strewn with litter, didn't see a blade of grass whilst over there, it just didn't click for me.

However, contrary to what was said earlier, i loved Corfu. It was scenic and clean, especially Corfu town.
A few Sandy beaches in Malta in the North West.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Puerto Rico on Gran Canaria.
Horrible place

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You are talking about Barcelona in Catalonia right? Depends on the basis in which you visit...amazing city break, not so good for a relaxing family holiday (obviously)

I was single and in my early 30s and have never disliked a place so much - I've pulled out of work conferences that I should really have gone on so I don't have to set foot in the place ever again. Apart from the amazing Gaudi architecture,there's nothing else amazing about the place.

Another vote for North Wales, surely there is just no point in Colwyn Bay, Rhos-on-Sea, Llandudno and Prestatyn etc.?

Usually freezing cold, almost always pissing it down and everything closed on Sundays.

Llandudno is a wonderful seaside place, everything a British resort should be: have a bit of love for Colwyn Bay too. Rhyl is a different matter though - Wrexham by the sea. And the Welsh Sunday is part of history now, no more drinking in pubs on your knees with the blinds pulled down

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Llandudno is a wonderful seaside place, everything a British resort should be: have a bit of love for Colwyn Bay too. Rhyl is a different matter though - Wrexham by the sea. And the Welsh Sunday is part of history now, no more drinking in pubs on your knees with the blinds pulled down

Hmmm, I will obviously have to revisit Llandudno 40 years on. Can't imagine the weather is that much improved though!

Don't remind me of Wrexham, I have to go there in two weeks time for work. It's Grim Up North (Wales).

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Egypt probably. Got a cheap flight and winged it from the airport as I usually do for short stays. Still had a great time but experienced a little bit more aggressive/hostile/money grubbing during my inter-actions there compared to Asia and Europe.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Oh well, here goes...

"Seagulls Over Dubai reporting in."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here