Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WORST holiday destination you've ever had the misfortune to visit

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was single and in my early 30s and have never disliked a place so much - I've pulled out of work conferences that I should really have gone on so I don't have to set foot in the place ever again. Apart from the amazing Gaudi architecture,there's nothing else amazing about the place.

I wouldn't want to spend a week there, but for a long weekend I think Barcelona is a fabulous place. A myriad of fantastic little bars and restaurants just off La Ramblas, some incredible cathedrals, pleasant climate, plenty to see and do, and a real "big city" buzz about the place. I honestly don't see whats not to like about it. :shrug:

As for CACK locations - Marmaris. Just a giant West Street in the sun, bloody awful.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Abroad Calais visiting friends just outside, awful.
In Britain, Clacton, utter shite hole full of chavs and a proper dumpsite of a place.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Bali. All hustle, bustle and street hawkers. Hated it. Whereas Lombok was the total opposite.

My experience exactly the same. Was just after the East Timor crisis of 1999, so fewer than normal Aussies to milk, but would never, ever go back.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Anyone ever been to Palaiokastritsa in Corfu ? Stunning scenery, but when we went 3 years ago, hundreds of wasps everywhere, all round the pool, hotel, town, even on boat trips they were there. Hadn't read anything about it on Tripadvisor beforehand, weird.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Marmaris Turkey.... shite place full of aggressive people...

Really, where in Marmaris are people aggressive, have been there countless times and always had a fantastic holiday

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Morocco - the majority of (male) locals were hateful people who seemed to go out of their way to hassle and abuse any Caucasians they saw and generally try to ensure we had a shite time. Never again.... Believe it's more relaxed and welcoming in the south and the Berber areas though (Marakesh etc) ....??

Disagree, a welcoming and hospitable country. No doubt your view is based on visiting a few tourist honey pots, Kesh, Tangiers etc..

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Another one for Dubai. Only stopped over there for a few days but that was enough. Customs officials all pervs spent ages looking at my teenage daughter. Taxi drivers mostly thieves,clientele of hotel bar 99% hookers, horrible sight of migrant builders shacks and above all surly natives who looked like they'd have you over with half a chance. Wouldn't go back if you paid me, even a change at the airport would be too much with fellow travellers washing their tackle in the sinks.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another one for Dubai. Only stopped over there for a few days but that was enough. Customs officials all pervs spent ages looking at my teenage daughter. Taxi drivers mostly thieves,clientele of hotel bar 99% hookers, horrible sight of migrant builders shacks and above all surly natives who looked like they'd have you over with half a chance. Wouldn't go back if you paid me, even a change at the airport would be too much with fellow travellers washing their tackle in the sinks.

I was an ex-pat in Taiwan and my wife and I both ended up as members of various ex pat clubs. "Just arrived from Dubai" was code for "don't leave them alone with the good wine / bar takings / Chairman's daughter."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst all places have there good points i would lean this way for Dubai

For the people who like Dubai, what is it they like though? I'm genuinely curious. It seems a hideous place from single every angle.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Would it be inappropriate to post "needs pics.."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hmmm, I will obviously have to revisit Llandudno 40 years on. Can't imagine the weather is that much improved though!
It's Grim Up North (Wales).

Yes, you wouldn't to go to Llandudno for the weather - or indeed anywhere in Wales. But North Wales isn't grim at all, been there loads of times and there's some fantastic countryside to walk in.

I wouldn't want to spend a week there, but for a long weekend I think Barcelona is a fabulous place. A myriad of fantastic little bars and restaurants just off La Ramblas, some incredible cathedrals, pleasant climate, plenty to see and do, and a real "big city" buzz about the place. I honestly don't see whats not to like about it. :shrug:

If your idea of a great place is somewhere where every third person is a smackhead or a brass, then, yes, it's a great place. If I were 16 or 17, I'd have thought that it was 'edgy' but once I'd grown up, I recognised it for the hell hole that it was. I decided to quit the place when I was having breakfast at my hotel and saw some bloke OD on a bench about 30m away: the ambulance arriving for him was my signal to leave.

And there may be a myriad bars but you can't drink in them - one evening when I spent close on two hours trying to get served in bars without any success was a lesson to me. I spent my time in the hotel room with beer from a supermarket - really not my idea of a good time. Fine, if it's your sort of thing but it wasn't for me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If your idea of a great place is somewhere where every third person is a smackhead or a brass, then, yes, it's a great place. If I were 16 or 17, I'd have thought that it was 'edgy' but once I'd grown up, I recognised it for the hell hole that it was. I decided to quit the place when I was having breakfast at my hotel and saw some bloke OD on a bench about 30m away: the ambulance arriving for him was my signal to leave.

This has changed dramatically though. The influx of heroin and the associated problems was the catalyst for the regeneration of El Raval I mention in an earlier post. I understand El Raval was the centre for heroin back then.

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Possibly as bad as Dubai but in a completely different way, I once went to a Soul Weekender at Pontins, Prestatyn. The accommodation would have been better in a prison. On arrival I nearly slipped on a used condom left on the walkway, inside the room was no better. The electric meter used £1 coins up like a slot machine, the shower and bath had more mould than 10 year old stilton and the carpet was rancid. A fellow camper almost lost his leg I was told by picking up an infection in a cut by kneeling on the floor.
The restaurant supplied easily the worse selection of food I ever set eyes on and the smell of stale spilt beer in the bars was overpowering, not withstanding your shoes sticking to the floor.
If you want a good laugh read the reviews on trip advisor. Unfortunately it was hard to get in an out to see what Prestatyn was actually like with out being apprehended by the security.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

And there may be a myriad bars but you can't drink in them - one evening when I spent close on two hours trying to get served in bars without any success was a lesson to me. I spent my time in the hotel room with beer from a supermarket - really not my idea of a good time. Fine, if it's your sort of thing but it wasn't for me

Absolutely not my experience of Barcelona at all, I've been a few times. Believe me, if I'd taken the missus to some overpopulated rat-infested crack den, I would NEVER hear the last of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here