Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Worst away end you have been in watching footy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Interestingly Oldham, was by far the hottest i've ever been at a football game.

Opening day of the season, probably about 15 years ago. It was the hottest day on record in the UK I think, and still bloody hot in Oldham

Portman Road wins that one for me.

1st October and 30 degrees. The hottest October day on record I believe.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Withdean, when Portsmouth decided to taken their full allocation and go in the family stand.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
QPR by a mile. Both top and bottom tier have terrible views.

QPR escapes the list for me by virtue of being walking distance from some good pubs and so usually a good day out. And it’s surely excused purely for the scenes when Pocognoli scored. I confess that living in London I’m naturally biased to the convenience of London grounds though.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Oldham - freezing cold and we always lost.

Roker Park - game in the late 80s or early 90s. Uncovered terrace in a corner with a storm coming in off the North Sea. No shelter anywhere. So wet I couldn't even light a cigarette. And we lost to an offside goal.

This - wind, rain, open terrace and terrible games/results..

Agree with others on Everton - the worst view and the most disappointing vs. the excitement/expectation I had at going there..
Another shout for Anfield too - seats that are impossible for most people over 5ft to actually sit in, even if it is only during half time!
The one I thought was going to be terrible, but was "pleasantly" surprised at was Roots Hall, Southend. Looked dreadful outside, truly dreadful but much better inside vs. that terribly low expectation they set with the cow-shed exterior!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Withdean, when Portsmouth decided to taken their full allocation and go in the family stand.

Well joking apart, from a visiting fans point of view Withdean must have been pretty appalling, especially when you take into account the away stand there being so far back from the pitch, it was actually located in a different county . . . Hampshire. :D

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As stated in a previous thread, Wigan Athletic Springfield Park, basically a cow shed on a hill.
I am sure Kurt Nogan scored a winner 2-1 on a freezing day in Feb 1993, about 60 away fans.

Photo not from Albions visit.

Attachments

• EXFcm5jWkAE2J2u.jpg
    EXFcm5jWkAE2J2u.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 127

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hull City - boothferry park

I'm a bit confused by this thread. The worst away end can mean one of two things: the worst location for away fans (us) at another club's stadium, or the worst location for away fans at the Amex. I assume the OP means the former. The worst by far for me was Ninian Park with slobbering baying half wit Cardiff numpties tearing at the fence separating home and away supporters.

The worst home end I have been in is without a doubt the family enclosure at Millwall.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Anfield Road End - tiny seats and non existent legroom, a 1980's cramped concrete concourse, the joint worst grub as anywhere else (the ubiquitous bone dry hot dog in a stale roll).

[Thankfully, about to be completely rebuilt and remodelled].

But at least we got to see all the football .... I haven't been to the pillbox effect at Goodison.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oldham - freezing cold and we always lost.

Roker Park - game in the late 80s or early 90s. Uncovered terrace in a corner with a storm coming in off the North Sea. No shelter anywhere. So wet I couldn't even light a cigarette. And we lost to an offside goal.

I seem to recall watching us win 3-1 there once, with an exciting new striker on the scoresheet - Neon Light!

Just looked it up - August 2003.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Anfield Road End - tiny seats and non existent legroom, a 1980's cramped concrete concourse, the joint worst grub as anywhere else (the ubiquitous bone dry hot dog in a stale roll).

[Thankfully, about to be completely rebuilt and remodelled].

I suspect it is getting extended in a similar manner to the main stand, so if you are unfortunate enough to be seated in the pre-existing part of the stand the tiny seats and non-existent legroom will remain.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Another vote for Boundary Park for me. Remember losing and getting completely drenched there.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fratton Park, about 1985, pissed down non-stop, Mark Hateley scored a hat-trick and we lost 5-1, the ROZZERS kept us behind in the rain for half an hour after the match 'for our safety', then all hopped (in their waterproofs) into some waiting vans and we were bricked by a Pompey mob just outside the stadium.

TB B&W Army

Sep 30, 2021
Horsham
Sunderland's stadium of light used to be really good for away fans, but then they adopted Newcastle's trick of sticking them high up behind a goal. Always makes it difficult when the away team scores and the players try to celebrate with the fans, but end up in front of the home fans. Not like last Monday though :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Since this has morphed into worst away ground....where oh where do I begin?

York City. Bogs on a par with the South West corner bogs at the Goldstone. My old boss's brother curates the museum there that has lots of Roman remains. I am certan that the old piss in that bog predated the Romans.

Torquay and Exeter. Tiny weeny crowded terraces. Also at Torquay, 90 plus minutes standing in sub zero temperatures and a light breeze gave me man flu that I swear lasted from January through to May. The b'stards.

Underhill. It was all-seater and no spare seats when I arrived. The tickets were numbered and I had to fart about with a steward to find 'my' seat because he wouldn't let me improvise (i.e., stand somewhere). I am not a fan of shitehousery.

Stoke. Driving icy rain straight in your face for 110% of the match (we left early in the second half). That was the game where Stoke got a pen when a (clearly visibly) black hand whacked the ball. Brighton had no black players in the team that day. WTF? And also there was a group of mouthy racist fifteen year old Albion 'fans' gobbing off the whole game with some of the older patrons visibly getting extremely pre-punchy about it (eventually someone told them to shut up or sod off).

Carlisle. It's simply unreasonable to expect people from the south of England to travel all the way to Scotland to watch football. I seem to recall bumping into [MENTION=374]Man of Harveys[/MENTION] at that one. I keep seeing the spitting image of MOH at the Amex. Am I hallucinating or has Americal lost it's charm?

Cheaterfraud, for numerous reasons. The home fans were a bunch of throwback racist goons.

Palace. Horrible dump and shitehousery cum laude from the police who treated it as a raining exercise for terrorist insurgence on at least 3 of the occasions I had the misfortune and lack of good sense to not do the decent thing and stay at home.

Spurs. Far too far to walk from the tube station. It isn't the distance so much, it's the tediousness and lack of architectural or cultural value. Dispiriting. Like walking along Western Road in the early 1960s.

Ninian (as mentioned previously).

And sometimes I wonder why I haven't been to an away game (not counting the cup semi final, and a hospitality weekend at Liverpool that cost me hundreds of pounds) since Arsenal 4 years ago. ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suspect it is getting extended in a similar manner to the main stand, so if you are unfortunate enough to be seated in the pre-existing part of the stand the tiny seats and non-existent legroom will remain.

I've sat in the rebuilt main stand lower tier on several occasions. You're spot on about the cost saving (in both stands) by retaining the lower deck's concrete structure. But somehow they gave every new seat loads of legroom and each seat's far wider. Reminded me of the generous Amex spacings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here