[Football] Worst away end you have been in watching footy.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Notts County in the 70's. Still remember standing on a lump of coal.
Stamford Bridge was equally wet, cold and open air back then.
Tell the truth the grounds in the 70's were slums. No wonder there was so much trouble. Treat the fans like animals they behave like animals.
Premier League Super Stadiums.
Old Trafford shows how, by making the seats small, you can cram in more money.
Villa Park. Just a grade two listed dump.

I was going to mention Notts county , well remember one game there in that completely exposed end on a winters day with a north wind and icy rain ! All the Brighton fans ( about 200 as i recall ) were huddled down the sides trying to keep warm by drinking hot bovril ! Oh the memories .......

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The coldest away fixture I’ve been to and I’ve been to Oldham a few times.

Interestingly Oldham, was by far the hottest i've ever been at a football game.

Opening day of the season, probably about 15 years ago. It was the hottest day on record in the UK I think, and still bloody hot in Oldham

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yep, a Steve Jacobs goal scored with an orange ball. Seem to remember Posh's goal coming from a shot that was deflected past Perry Digweed by a mound of snow on the pitch.

Wasn't it 2-2? I remember Jacobs' goal, tapped in from fairly close range. We won the replay 1-0?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Interestingly Oldham, was by far the hottest i've ever been at a football game.

Opening day of the season, probably about 15 years ago. It was the hottest day on record in the UK I think, and still bloody hot in Oldham

Hmmm was that the game we ended up winning 3-1? l think Darius Henderson scored one from a penalty.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The old allotments end at Watford was pretty dire because the terraces were so shallow, and there was a big gap behind the goal as well. You could be a long way back but not very high up. Plus the police were especially unfriendly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wasn't it 2-2? I remember Jacobs' goal, tapped in from fairly close range. We won the replay 1-0?

Yes it finished 2-2, l can just remember Steve Jacobs goal, probably because it was a rarity, and the fluke Posh goal that hit the divot of snow.

1-0 replay win, thanks to a Dean Saunders strike l think.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hmmm was that the game we ended up winning 3-1? l think Darius Henderson scored one from a penalty.

2-1 I think. Henderson and Leon Knight had an argument about who was taking the pen. And yes, it was a hot August day.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Liverpool.

Like watching a game through a letter box.

Shit.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
............Luton Town IMO. Tight seats, poor view, fans looking for fights and the food very poor. If they got into the Premier League, surely Kenilworth Road would be refused for being a heap of shite? :shrug:

founder members of the Premiership ! although never have competed in it

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yeovil, open terrace and poor facilities.
I went to their old ground a few times in the 70s and thought it was much better than the current one, the old one was actually in the town centre.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Sealand Road, Chester City, back in the day. On my one and (thank goodness) only visit there back in the late 1980's, when asking a steward where the Gents was, he replied just go and pee up against the wall at the back of the stand mate. :eek:

I was going to post Chester for the loos. You were lucky to avoid them. Four urine stained walls open to the sky, then a giant heap of steaming drunks excrement piled in the corner!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree that Anfield, Goodison and Selhurst are obvious candidates. Plenty of myths around each that frequently seem to disguise the mediocrity of the venues. Fratton Park (the old terrace) would also be up there. I doubt it's improved much since I last went, in the game where Graham Barrett got sent off and Redknapp was at the beginning of another of his Miracles.

I can't let Gillingham get away without a mention. Rubbish town to visit, a pain in the arse to get to, and a shoddy little stadium. The amusing irony is that, all those years after their chairman so gleefully accepted, what was it, half a million quid? to host us, his club is still playing home games in front of a wonky, exposed scaffold stand which could almost have been lifted straight off the running track at Withdean. Karmic joy indeed.

To throw a new name into the hat, I'll cast a vote for Southend. Few grounds can have remained as untouched in decades as Roots Hall. I can't remember anywhere more rusting or decrepit (I mean: Selhurst comes a close second but at least they've applied some ACME Turd Polish in recent years to cover up the cracks). Roots Hall is an absolute shambles: decay everywhere, disgusting toilets, dreadful and inadequate food & drink offerings. Oh, and while walking back to my car alone, I got repeatedly called a "****ing queer" by some angsty locals (I think they were a bit upset by LuaLua's injury time winner to be honest). Then again, at least you can see the pitch from the whole stand, unlike some venues.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
2 spring to mind:

1 - county ground Northampton. Woeful - apart from impressive cricket outfield to the left and people on that side standing on pallets and held back by a rope
2 - Back row of the away end Portman Rd. There was a girder covering half the pitch, to see us attacking to the right I had to put my head through a hexagonal hole in the said girder. We drew 2-2

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Man U. Shockingly sh*te.

Old Trafford has been allowed to deteriorate in the Glazers tenure, apparently. During the ESL fiasco I heard a STH complaining that there had been a hole in the roof above his seat for 3 years and even after numerous complaints nothing had been done to fix it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Old Trafford has been allowed to deteriorate in the Glazers tenure, apparently. During the ESL fiasco I heard a STH complaining that there had been a hole in the roof above his seat for 3 years and even after numerous complaints nothing had been done to fix it.

Good suggestion. The leg room for each seat at OT must be amongst the smallest in football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports