Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the excitement for Oscar?

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
I can't help thinking that, though it hurt at the time, Palace did us a favour in beating us last month.

We really didn't. All this "better to wait till we're ready" stuff is bullshit. Firstly, you're never ready. It is always a struggle once you're promoted. Secondly, the championship is a bugger to get out of. When you've got a good team if you don't go up, chances are those good players are going to leave.

Even though the Championship is a far more interesting and competitive league, the financial rewards of the Prem are simply ludicrous. As long as you don't go bust trying to keep up with the big boys, it is always worth going up, even if you have no chance of staying there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I love the original question. Other big clubs bring in the likes of Sven, or Holloway, or Dave Jones, or Mick McCarthy, or Steve Bruce. You might get lucky, you might come very unstuck, but it's not exactly new or flair. With OGJ I'm now really excited for the new season.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If Gus loses his appeal, on what grounds would he then go forward to court?.... I suspect he will need to have something solid, that hasn't already been put on the table so far, before committing to the costs of court action. My feeling is that he has nothing more to add, we will probably see him walk away in the next week.

I'll start by saying I'm speculating but I'd wager a large amount of money ( if I had it ! ) that Gus will go to court under the guise of the club breaking it's contract with him. It will never hit an employment tribunal so the appeal from that perspective is irrelevant ( it's just Gus trying to strengthen his case ).

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
A palace fan has started this thread, it has been reported, but you all reply to it and its now made 6 pages, as far as I am concerned (and I have only read page 1 and this page) nothing will be done about it unless there is good reason.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
A palace fan has started this thread, it has been reported, but you all reply to it and its now made 6 pages, as far as I am concerned (and I have only read page 1 and this page) nothing will be done about it unless there is good reason.

Why on earth report this thread? Its a decent honest thread with a decent honest question behind it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Yes I hear that but he hasn't said if he wears FLAIRS

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Good grief - who was moronic enough to report it ? ( and I don't expect you to answer :thumbsup: )

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If Gus loses his appeal, on what grounds would he then go forward to court?.... I suspect he will need to have something solid, that hasn't already been put on the table so far, before committing to the costs of court action. My feeling is that he has nothing more to add, we will probably see him walk away in the next week.

The appeal is an internal process; ie he's appealing to the club, which is why is such a waste of time because the decision was made at the top level and no-one in the club is going to overturn it.

Once this formality is out of the way he can then take his case for unfair dismissal to court to get an independent hearing, but this would be when the details of his alleged misdemeanours became public.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A couple of wonderkids on loan from Barca who could use gametime in a senior team would be very nice

Or indeed from Bayern Munich - he played with Guardiola in the 90s and I wouldn't mind betting he's kept in touch

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I didn't want to interrupt in the other thread, but for those who don't mind conversing with a Palace fan can you explain the excitement? It genuinely seems a really risky appointment to me. Not that players for big teams can't be good managers, of course they can, but they seem to fail as often as they succeed.

He could of course turn out to be brilliant, just as a high-scoring non-league player can turn out to be able to cut it in the Championship, but it seems a hell of a risk. Though of course your chairman is a good gambler :)

Yeah and Holloway is a proper diamond i'snt he ??? Dougie Freedman got you lot up !!
Straight back down next season with less than 12 points and Holloway gone by December !!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I hear the after dinner mints have been ditched in the East Central Brasserie for next season and replaced with Flairo Rocher.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Well yes. I mean I'm a Palace fan, so I hope Oscar's shit and all his signings are donkeys, but I was genuinely enquiring over the excitement over someone who I see as a bit of a risk. But lots of people have given good answers (continuity, contacts, well rated by Barcelona, etc).

Still think if our roles were reversed you be questioning it as I have, but all appointments are indeed a risk and he could tun out to be a good one.

Risk = excitement, no?
The unknown = exciting, no?

Let's face it, after several weeks of not much in the way of news about a sh|t situation for our club, it's hardly surprising that there is genuine excitement amongst the Albion faithful that we seem to be finally getting someone in the steer the ship. Albeit on an 'interim' basis... (I'll eat my hat if he's not installed permanently once the appeal is thrown out / withdrawn / has money thrown at it to make it go away)

For what it's worth, you seem to have more manners than most of your fellow pikeys, so good luck* for next season!

*By luck, I mean I hope you all get severely bored of watching that mob of lucky, cheating b******s get absolutely SMASHED every week, despite spunking all of the Winnifred cash and TV money on a bunch of QPR style no-marks, before embarking on a run of relegations that would even make a Pompey fan blush.

:) :thumbsup:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Genuinely fair question from the OP. We were always going to make a bit of a left field appointment because we do some things a bit differently and I love that about our club. His pedigree is a perfect fit for our current squad and I actually think GP has already done the hard work by instilling the style of football that we play and its is now ingrained on the clubs DNA. If he is more adaptable and less stubborn than Gus he could achieve more. After all there is an argument that with the squad we have GP actually under achieved last season.

The last couple of months could not have been worse than if a collection of Palace fans wrote the script beforehand but we can now look forward to the new season with genuine optimism.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Why on earth report this thread? Its a decent honest thread with a decent honest question behind it.

^this^

Some people are way too precious.

Save the moaning for the blatant trolls (or preferably completely ignore them!)

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fundamentally, ALL new managers are exciting, aren't they?

I see why you might make that point, but I would really struggle to be excited if we appointed someone like Tony Pulis...

Disappointed? Yes
Gutted? Yes
Angry? No right to be angry as such

But excited? No no no :nono:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's not my problem at all. I understand that many Brighton fans don't want a Palace input, and I've stayed out of that thread for that very reason. I'm not trying to goad you into a response, and while I'm happy to take the abuse (this is a Brighton board), I was genuinely posing the question.

My interest is because I'm a Palace fan who views you as our rivals, and enjoys the rivalry though not any hatred that goes with it.

The club has said they want to play a certain style of football. Even the youngsters are being trained to pass and play out from the back, and play passing football.
So as Oscar has managed Barca B, who have this style, and he has had success with this style, i would say he is a good man to manage the club.
He might even be able to persuade a few players to join the scheme.

Maccabi

Jun 26, 2013
I just registered to tell you that you made the best possible sign with Oscar.
You will be honored in the future that oscar was the manager of Brighton.

If you have any questions about oscar style of play or communication with the media, you can ask me.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I just registered to tell you that you made the best possible sign with Oscar.
You will be honored in the future that oscar was the manager of Brighton.

If you have any questions about oscar style of play or communication with the media, you can ask me.

Is that you Oscar??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here