Are you joking?

1. He has such a cool name.
2. He is not Harry Redknapp.
3. He knows the legend Johann Cruyff.
4. He is not Harry Redknapp.
5. BrightonMark123 approves.
6. The wife thinks he's hot.
7. He is not Harry Rednapp.

Those are the credentials of a man destined for big things I see no other outcome this year than top spot, what risk?

Who I believe championed him for the Barcelona gig when Pep left.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Are you joking?

1. He has such a cool name.
2. He is not Harry Redknapp.
3. He knows the legend Johann Cruyff.
4. He is not Harry Redknapp.
5. BrightonMark123 approves.
6. The wife thinks he's hot.
7. He is not Harry Rednapp.

Those are the credentials of a man destined for big things I see no other outcome this year than top spot, what risk?

:lolol:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Why is it any riskier than any other appointment?,... a journeyman British old school manager who more often than not will drag some equally old school rejects from one or more of his former clubs, only to fail again in most cases..... or someone similar to the outgoing manager who will continue the good modern football style we have adopted, and who has good contacts in player markets that a Brit journeyman managers can only dream of.

I know where my gambling money will be.

shaunslats

Mar 6, 2013
Magrathea
I didn't want to interrupt in the other thread, but for those who don't mind conversing with a Palace fan can you explain the excitement? It genuinely seems a really risky appointment to me. Not that players for big teams can't be good managers, of course they can, but they seem to fail as often as they succeed.

He could of course turn out to be brilliant, just as a high-scoring non-league player can turn out to be able to cut it in the Championship, but it seems a hell of a risk. Though of course your chairman is a good gambler :)

**** off :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well done - cocks ! He asked a very civil and reasonable set of questions.

At face value yes. But there was a clear undertone of smugness and mocking in telling us what a risky appointment we'd made, despite saying that he knew nothing about Oscar or his managerial history. ****.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
At face value yes. But there was a clear undertone of smugness and mocking in telling us what a risky appointment we'd made, despite saying that he knew nothing about Oscar or his managerial history. ****.

Still claim it's impossible for Gus to appeal ?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Yep. Don't trust any of these Palace fans with their 'nice questions'. They are taking the piss people.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
No English manager appealed to me, so this makes me happy. .

Me neither and that's a large part of the reason this has got me so damn excited.
TB and the rest of them have not taken the 'safe option and plumped for the Adkins, Pardew, Mclaren, Holloway, Hughes etc journeyman style of managers whose teams bounce around between the top half of the Championship and the bottom half of the Premiership ad infinitum until someone boots one of them out and they all have a change of scenery.
We have just nabbed a young guy who's career, whilst still fledgling, has gone in one direction. The ethos behind Gus was similar I imagine.
Gus got us so far, he maybe hit his own roof.
It's now Oscar's turn to have a crack at taking us to the next level.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Oct 25, 2003
Are you serious ??? You have no intrest in the football but just what the manager wears?
What does flair actually mean?

yes, yes i was being deadly serious...this IS a fashion forum right?

flair is david lopez, matt le tissier, david ginola, bixente lizarazu, deco, maniche, alexander mostovoi, romario, hristo stoichkov, georgi hagi, zlatan ibrahimovic, maurico tarrico, mario balotelli, philippe albert, andreas moller, bastian schweinsteiger, tony yeboah, jacques songo'o, adebi pele, faustino asprilla, athletic bilbao, MLS, yegor titov, hidetoshi nakata, harry kewell, magico gonzalez, robin friday, ronaldo, socrates, federico turienzo, czech republics euro 2004 squad, kevin keegan, ajax c.1995, jari litmanen, anything asian, roberto baggio, mark bosnich, jose luis chilavert, the hurricanes, juan roman riquelme etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Yep. Don't trust any of these Palace fans with their 'nice questions'. They are taking the piss people.

Well yes. I mean I'm a Palace fan, so I hope Oscar's shit and all his signings are donkeys, but I was genuinely enquiring over the excitement over someone who I see as a bit of a risk. But lots of people have given good answers (continuity, contacts, well rated by Barcelona, etc).

Still think if our roles were reversed you be questioning it as I have, but all appointments are indeed a risk and he could tun out to be a good one.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Wow. So we welcome an reasonable, intelligent (a rarity, granted) Palace fan on here with the usual "Why are you on here/go back to your own board" tripe? Really? He does raise a very good point too, one which has yet to be answered with anything other than Ummmm, he's Spanish and he knows people at Barcelona and Munich so presumably, we'll be signing loads of players from those teams now.

It is gamble, but one I welcome and I too am very excited by this aquisition.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well yes. I mean I'm a Palace fan, so I hope Oscar's shit and all his signings are donkeys, but I was genuinely enquiring over the excitement over someone who I see as a bit of a risk. But lots of people have given good answers (continuity, contacts, well rated by Barcelona, etc).

Still think if our roles were reversed you be questioning it as I have, but all appointments are indeed a risk and he could tun out to be a good one.

Given you've gone through 5 different managers in the same period as we've had Gus, I guess you are well placed to judge managerial risks....

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
highly rated at barcelona for starters...not just as a player but mostly as a coach

of course he's a risk...i like a risk and much prefer this appointment than a run of the mill englishman. I may be in the minority but as a flair fan i want Brighton to play with an air of continental arrogance about us...I don't really care if we win I just want us to be flair and for the manager to wear cool threads

100% agree.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Given you've gone through 5 different managers in the same period as we've had Gus, I guess you are well placed to judge managerial risks....

How many of those would you say were a risk? Freedman only to my mind, and it turned out he was a good one. Burley at the time looked like a safe appointment, and it turned out he was shit, so clearly going for the safe option isn't always a bed of roses either.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Still claim it's impossible for Gus to appeal ?

No, I have learned something this week and am not afraid to admit being wrong. Although I stand by my assertion that in this case it's a completely pointless and farcical waste of time. The appeal is just a box ticking exercise to satisfy employment law before it goes to court.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think it is important that we maintain the good work started by Poyet.

Undoubtedly there is a difference in style between England and Europe and between Brighton and the vast majority of teams in the top 2 divisions. For me the worry would have been, we ended up with some mundane British Manager like Sherwood or Ferguson, who simply would not have continued our style of play (which in the main is quite enjoyable).

We have that opportunity in Oscar and I just hope we continue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here