Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the excitement for Oscar?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I didn't want to interrupt in the other thread, but for those who don't mind conversing with a Palace fan can you explain the excitement? It genuinely seems a really risky appointment to me. Not that players for big teams can't be good managers, of course they can, but they seem to fail as often as they succeed.

He could of course turn out to be brilliant, just as a high-scoring non-league player can turn out to be able to cut it in the Championship, but it seems a hell of a risk. Though of course your chairman is a good gambler :)

We need someone similar to our footballing style, I think a complete change of style would be a bigger risk.

It doesn't matter if Israeli Premier league is good or not, the fact is. In his one season there, he took them to win their first league title in 10 years. Just one season, I must reiterate. The league will be different, but he went from Barcelona Youth to Maccabi Tel Aviv, that's a fairly big step up.

Not to mention: his name is full of Spanish flair. Holloway doesn't quite ring tune, neither does Sherwood; Redknapp (shudder) and the rest.

I quite agree that it's a risk, show me one managerial appointment anywhere ever that isn't?

He does have zero experience with English Football where at least Poyet had but he seems to have the same philosophy.
He has excellent contacts throughout Europe which can't be a bad thing.
Could attract players to the club like Poyet did.

And most importantly of all, Brightonmark123 will now be a happy bunny.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
all appointments come with an element of risk, i think its a safe appointment by the club as it will keep our large spanish contigment happy and also as other posters have put, keep the same style of play, I hope he can convince Lopez to stay and also maybe a return for Vicente who under a different manager could be the player we all wanted.

No English manager appealed to me, so this makes me happy. The club needs some positive news and with only about 40 days to KO, we need it now so we have time to gel and bring in much needed players.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I think he justifies more excitement than Poyet did upon his arrival, as Oscar already has managerial experience with Barca B and winning the league with Tel Aviv. Great player in his time and will stick to the passing philosophy that we're trying to build the club around.

Also, his coaching staff are quite exciting, much more so than Mauricio Tarrico and Charlie Oatway (no offence to either of them) in Juan Torrijo Navarro (who was at Valencia when they reached the Champions League Final twice in 2000 and 2001) and Ruben Martinez Cabellero (who worked as a scout for Hristo Stoichkov's training academy in Barcelona).

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It's not my problem at all. I understand that many Brighton fans don't want a Palace input, and I've stayed out of that thread for that very reason. I'm not trying to goad you into a response, and while I'm happy to take the abuse (this is a Brighton board), I was genuinely posing the question.

My interest is because I'm a Palace fan who views you as our rivals, and enjoys the rivalry though not any hatred that goes with it.

It was a reasonable OP. Some people struggle to deal with reasonable questions. Personally I think it is a gamble but an educated one. He has worked at some top clubs including Barcelona. Only time will tell if it is a good one or not. I like you enjoy the rivalry but despise the hatred that people have because of it.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I think he justifies more excitement than Poyet did upon his arrival, as Oscar already has managerial experience with Barca B and winning the league with Tel Aviv. Great player in his time and will stick to the passing philosophy that we're trying to build the club around.

Also, his coaching staff are quite exciting, much more so than Mauricio Tarrico and Charlie Oatway (no offence to either of them) in Juan Torrijo Navarro (who was at Valencia when they reached the Champions League Final twice in 2000 and 2001) and Ruben Martinez Cabellero (who worked as a scout for Hristo Stoichkov's training academy in Barcelona).

if thats true and as Vicente played in those, will he be back?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's exciting because he seems to be tailor made to carry on playing the continental football we have loved (mostly) for three seasons now. If the OP saw how good to watch our football was in the two games against Palace before Poogate he would surely get it? Even as a Palace fan he must have been just a little impressed with the keep ball? From my point of view THAT is why this appointment would excite me. Anyone who is highly rated as a coach by Barcelona shouts FLAIR

It could all turn to shit of course but I'm kinda of banking on this putting all talk of shit behind us now.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The continuity argument is good. If this guy plays the same way as Poyet obviously that minimises the disruption. Do his teams play the same way though? I have no idea, but the notion that they must because he's a Spanish speaking ex-Barca player seems a dangerous assumption.

Watch this and you tell us if you think he plays a similar way or will be a long-ball merchant.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Singing "One Torrio Navarro" will confuse the Leeds fans at Elland Road , they will think he is Alan Navarro's brother :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Watch this and you tell us if you think he plays a similar way or will be a long-ball merchant.

There is some truly woeful defending and goalkeeping in amongst that.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
highly rated at barcelona for starters...not just as a player but mostly as a coach

of course he's a risk...i like a risk and much prefer this appointment than a run of the mill englishman. I may be in the minority but as a flair fan i want Brighton to play with an air of continental arrogance about us...I don't really care if we win I just want us to be flair and for the manager to wear cool threads

Are you serious ??? You have no intrest in the football but just what the manager wears?
What does flair actually mean?

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
We need someone similar to our footballing style, I think a complete change of style would be a bigger risk.

It doesn't matter if Israeli Premier league is good or not, the fact is. In his one season there, he took them to win their first league title in 10 years. Just one season, I must reiterate. The league will be different, but he went from Barcelona Youth to Maccabi Tel Aviv, that's a fairly big step up.

Not to mention: his name is full of Spanish flair. Holloway doesn't quite ring tune, neither does Sherwood; Redknapp (shudder) and the rest.

I just think that sounds more impressive than it is (or might be). Looking them up, Maccabi Tel Aviv appear to be the oldest, richest and most successful Israeli club. Theyve never been outside the top flight, and while they haven't won the title in 10 years they have almost always been top half, and frequently top three. It's also a 12 club league.

But the flip side is you can only play the hand you're dealt, and as you say he won the league first time of asking. As others have said every appointment is a risk, and in that sense this is no different.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh, and he doesnt put out a team to play like Poyet. its far, far better than that :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's not my problem at all. I understand that many Brighton fans don't want a Palace input, and I've stayed out of that thread for that very reason. I'm not trying to goad you into a response, and while I'm happy to take the abuse (this is a Brighton board), I was genuinely posing the question.

My interest is because I'm a Palace fan who views you as our rivals, and enjoys the rivalry though not any hatred that goes with it.

sensible and reasonable enough.

And my take on it is that he is a talented if not totally proven manager who has the right credentials to continue developing the club, not just someone who "knows how to get a team promoted", whatever else is (or is not) going on around him.

And just having looked up Psalm 56: 5, are you paranoid? "All day long they seek to injure my cause; All their thoughts are against me for Evil." (NRSV)

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

And my take on it is that he is a talented if not totally proven manager who has the right credentials to continue developing the club, not just someone who "knows how to get a team promoted", whatever else is (or is not) going on around him.

And just having looked up Psalm 56: 5, are you paranoid? "All day long they seek to injure my cause; All their thoughts are against me for Evil." (NRSV)
It's a passage in a popular fictional book, much like quoting Anchorman.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013

:) I was going for the NIV's "All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin" which seemed appropriate as a Palace fan on a Brighton board.

Be interesting to see who he brings in. I'll stop questioning it now, as my initial question has been pretty thoroughly answered.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Are you joking?

1. He has such a cool name.
2. He is not Harry Redknapp.
3. He knows the legend Johann Cruyff.
4. He is not Harry Redknapp.
5. BrightonMark123 approves.
6. The wife thinks he's hot.
7. He is not Harry Rednapp.

Those are the credentials of a man destined for big things I see no other outcome this year than top spot, what risk?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here