Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame for this horrendous PR gaff ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think it's a fair point. The situation has dragged long enough. Better to announce it to all parties involved without building in unnecessary delay.

Might be a fair point but as you stated its dragged on...so one more day wouldnt make much difference would it...all opinion isent it

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
didnt say that...i was suggesting what they obviously didnt do and that was inform of the decision on a monday so that the statement could be released then

With the team coming back tomorrow and the season for the players and staff officially starting tomorrow I doubt the club would have thought it strange to work on today to get it sorted.
Did you know we even play football games on Sundays sometimes, people can work on a Sunday if they need to

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Very good point. Very strange to announce the results of the disciplinary hearing at 8pm on a sunday night. I would have thought 9am on a Monday morning would be far more suitable ?

Unless, it was the clubs attempt to twist the knife ?

The club gave every opportunity for Gus to resign before our season starts tomorrow. He didn't take the option to save face and resign and we had to resolves this by midnight tonight.

Maybe we should have asked Gus for the most convenient day to sack him?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When is anything football related every straight forward?

It would appear from what Gus said that his advisors had been meeting the club today (it's more than likely that the legal teams have been trying to thrash this out all weekend) and the decision to sack him came from those meetings. Poyet's team would have already known the outcome so there was no way of informing anyone on Monday, when it became clear that Poyet was going to be on the BBC tonight the club had to make a statement to avoid the possibility of Gus announcing his own sacking on live TV.

or they could have said ok...we will confirm our decision tomorrow...as you and i werent there its guesswork..i see it differently ..but yes i am guessing too

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So, according to people on here, not only does tony do everything he hired the CEO to do, he now does everything he hired the communications department to do as well? Gees, what a micro managing control freak.
No you're quite right, he'd have nothing to do with probably the most important and far reaching announcement the club have made in years. Durr.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With the team coming back tomorrow and the season for the players and staff officially starting tomorrow I doubt the club would have thought it strange to work on today to get it sorted.
Did you know we even play football games on Sundays sometimes, people can work on a Sunday if they need to

o ha ha ye..very funny about sundays

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Stop your miserable whining. Your negativity towards the club's handling of a difficult situation says more about your inclination to look for the negative in things than it does about the club's dealings.

You are right but on this occassion it has been shambolic and as a fan of BHAFC I am angry, embarassed and questioning the club for the first time in a long while. Tonight has been totally tin pot. TOTALLY tin pot and Poyet took his chance so tonight I will go to bed pissed off but fully expecting a robust statement from Bloom tomorrow, not Barber as I am past caring why this guy has to say now.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Assuming the club had informed Poyet's lawyers then they would have thought that Poyet would know. Then then had the choice of allowing Poyet to announce it live on air (NSC meltdown) or for them to preempt that. Took the sensible course in my view. Some of the bed wetting hysterics on this thread need to take a good look at themselves.

Absolutely spot on.

Typical hysterical over-reaction from the usual suspects. Maybe, just maybe, the club have done everything completely by the book, in the style of a Management Team that is gearing up for a future life at football's top table. They have finished their internal investigation and have issued their conclusion. If anyone genuinely believes that Poyet went on air tonight, not knowing he had been sacked, then they need to move carefully into the real world.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No you're quite right, he'd have nothing to do with probably the most important and far reaching announcement the club have made in years. Durr.

He has hired a CEO to run the club, he will expect the CEO to know when it is appropriate to ok the release of the statement. Of course he'd be involved in the decision to fire gus, but I doubt he is heavily involved deciding when press releases go out.

It seems any time the club does something that it receives criticism for someone defending club claims it only happens with gus's say so. I'm surprised people haven't defended the catering because it all went through bloom

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The biggest gaffe committed is by Gus talking his way out of one of the most desirable jobs in English football. One daily national paper is reporting that 3 ex-England managers are ready to take the position if offered.

If he looked sick on MOTD it was because he's suddenly realised what a dickhead decision he's made.

Big clubs make big calls. This is what happens, fans had better get used to fvkking people over and getting fvkked over, we ain't in the cosy world of League 1 or 2 anymore.

wiltshire seagull

Jun 26, 2010
No it's not you strange person! People died in their hundreds at Pearl Harbour, if you didn't know. The only thing dying at the moment is our beloved Football Club through it;s unbelievable PR F**k-ups.......

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Absolutely spot on.

Typical hysterical over-reaction from the usual suspects. Maybe, just maybe, the club have done everything completely by the book, in the style of a Management Team that is gearing up for a future life at football's top table. They have finished their internal investigation and have issued their conclusion. If anyone genuinely believes that Poyet went on air tonight, not knowing he had been sacked, then they need to move carefully into the real world.

A serious brinkmanship Poyet lying live on air. That is a trump card to play.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Might be a fair point but as you stated its dragged on...so one more day wouldnt make much difference would it...all opinion isent it

Yes, it is all opinion. One of the dangers that comes from delaying (even for a few hours) is that the decision may somehow be leaked. There may be quite a lot of actions that were riding on the decision going either way (particularly regarding personnel or legal work) and further delay would have been detrimental to the club's interests. We may never know, but it isn't hard to consider that with an operation such as a professional football club, sitting on news like this may not be feasible.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Absolutely spot on.

o i wish i was as clever as you...gosh and now people need to refer to you for there every move in the real world :bowdown:

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Whatever the chronology of who knew what when - it is still shambolic management of a dreadful situation. I'd prefer the club I spend a lot of time caring about to be acting in a more logical and dignified way - but this seems yet again another example of the amateur way this whole episode has unfolded. Almost as if they suddenly realised the players are back tomorrow and the process needed some conclusion. My thinking is that Poyet did well under the studio lights when he must be seething - and he is either a Hollywood level actor or he has been treated shamefully. If you tell the world before the person who is the subject of the investigation what the outcome is, then that is pretty pathetic - and as many have said the club now need to prove they informed Poyet in advance of the BBC show. Perhaps the Argus will be preparing the whole background story for us............ but then again................ I know, don't be silly.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
It is a PR disaster.

Not at all. The club have played a blinder. They have shown they are the ones in control and no one is bigger than the club.

They might get a few negative headlines in the coming days, but who cares, a week is a long time in football, this will be forgotten soon enough. Plus the fact that we are not in the Premier League means most sports editors really don't give a toss about us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here