Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame for this horrendous PR gaff ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gus had been told during the day so what was going to stop him telling the world before the club did? As he was going on TV they had to get the statement out before that.

If they said nothing today he had nothing to say tonight. And the BBC LOVE him as you can see now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Whatever way you dress it up tonight has been a PR DISASTER for the club. To release a club statement just before Gus Poyet has an audience of a million or so on BBC is to be fair a " schoolboy " error. Now Gus maybe lying but why would he do this as it would be so easy to prove he lied ? It would be professional SUICIDE and no club would want to touch him if he lied , live on TV.

Surely he is not that deluded ? Whatever way he has the BBC on his side. The commentator made a swipe against BHAFC live on air , so we are being made complete mugs. The half time interview was an open goal for Poyet and he took it, smashed the ball in the back of the net and the studio appears to be 100% behind him. Who is responsible for releasing a club statement now ?

Surely tomorrow morning made more sense knowing Poyet was on live TV ? Wtf is going on ? The club has had more or less the whole country behind us and until recently, apart from CPFC the whole football community has been behind us. It is a fcking pr shambles and fans can be rightly very annoyed imo.
The person who rubber stamped the news release at this time was the same bloke who has built our stadium, training ground and bankrolled the club for the past few years. I'm glad we've made progress with the sacking. A relief.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
It's a great shop window for Gus to advertise his services!

In a few weeks time, once our interim manager has been made permanent; a few good signings are made and Gus has got himself another job - we'll have forgotten this as we move on.

I'm sure that other club's fans don't really give a toss about all this (apart from the Selhurst shower). It's football. This club has faced bigger crises than this, and we're still here.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Yeah, why not just let Gus announce to the world the news of his sacking? Smart PR move!

Totally agree with this. Why can people not see that if the club hadn't announced it Poyet would have on BBC 3. The reason he probably looked shocked is that he thought he was going to announce it to the world. Due to media commitments the club probably didn't have a choice. I can't beleive Poyet knew nothing about it!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The person who rubber stamped the news release at this time was the same bloke who has built our stadium, training ground and bankrolled the club for the past few years. I'm glad we've made progress with the sacking. A relief.

We all love the guy but even he can make a mistake.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If they said nothing today he had nothing to say tonight. And the BBC LOVE him as you can see now.

If the club had informed him, you think Gus would have kept his mouth shut on TV?

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
It's a great shop window for Gus to advertise his services!

In a few weeks time, once our interim manager has been made permanent; a few good signings are made and Gus has got himself another job - we'll have forgotten this as we move on.

I'm sure that other club's fans don't really give a toss about all this (apart from the Selhurst shower). It's football. This club has faced bigger crises than this, and we're still here.

God I wish I had some of the drugs you are taking. I am very worried this will badly affect the whole campaign this year now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But why release it on a Sunday knowing he was on live tv that evening ? Why not release it tomorrow morning ?
Because people like you have been screaming out on a daily basis for something to be done? It gets done and loads of you suddenly start screaming out that it is a farce and could have been done tomorrow knowing Poyet will be shouting his mouth off on tv. Make your frigging minds up.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It wasn't a PR disaster at all. The club are just following guidelines like any other business would.

Following HR guidelines and good Public Relations are not actually the same thing. Dismissing someone and telling the world when and why you did are completely different things.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You really think that it was a smart PR move, every website thinks the club was pathetic, yeah great PR!!!

Every website? Yeah, like Nursery World has a view on whether the club was pathetic? Time Magazine as well?

The negative consequence of letting Gus announce the news to the world would have been greater. At least now, if the club did inform him earlier today, they have an opportunity to prove he is lying.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Totally agree with this. Why can people not see that if the club hadn't announced it Poyet would have on BBC 3. The reason he probably looked shocked is that he thought he was going to announce it to the world. Due to media commitments the club probably didn't have a choice. I can't beleive Poyet knew nothing about it!

If he wanted to make this big announcement like you think he would of if the club did not get in first, why did he not mention it before the game started when he was talking about Spain etc. He had plenty of time to make this massive announcement, but he didn't.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Every website? Yeah, like Nursery World has a view on whether the club was pathetic? Time Magazine as well?

The negative consequence of letting Gus announce the news to the world would have been greater. At least now, if the club did inform him earlier today, they have an opportunity to prove he is lying.

You obviously did not watch the start of the programme either.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here