[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
why is it at this stage of the season, when we are by no means safe, the talk of who we should bin off comes round..

At least wait until we are technically safe are my thoughts, some great servants to this club being listed and it just lacking a bit of class.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Out of those there is no chance of them letting Stephens, Duffy, Dunk or March go. All core squad players. And hasn't Murray already signed for next season?

Glenn has indeed signed for a further season, morever l think it would be foolhardy to wave gooddbye quite yet anyway, he is still able to turn a game with a late goal from the bench, or maybe even start a game, but he hasn't had the opportuntity to do that this season. A valuable presence in the dressing room too.

You say there is no chance of the club letting Duffy go, well with other promising centre halves at tha club, Ben White, Dan Burn, plus Leon Balogun, l wouldn't be too sure!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
why is it at this stage of the season, when we are by no means safe, the talk of who we should bin off comes round..

At least wait until we are technically safe are my thoughts, some great servants to this club being listed and it just lacking a bit of class.

Truie, but then very few of us have your class Marshy!

All very well talking about all the players we should let go, but we can't do that unless or until, we can bring in better repalcements.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't really understand getting rid of Gross. He works incredibly hard, great control and passing. I know you can prove anything with statistics bit on this season when he's apparently been so poor he's 9th in the pl for big chance creation and 32nd for assists https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created
Not sure who we'd get better than Montoya or Schelletto as a back up as you assume Lamprey came here to start. I think Murray could still do a job if he's happy to be used off the bench.
Duffy is still a very good centre back and unless the rest of the team become immensely better at it we might have to slightly adapt our playing out from the back anyway.
I'd let Stephens go as I think she has caught up with him, he's a second to slow and prone to bad tackles. And in Bissouma, Alzate, Propper, Mooy, we've got the position covered

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
What I would do:

Sell/release: Button, Steele, Schelotto, Montoya, Kayal, Pröpper, Trossard (loan?), Gross, Ali J, Izquierdo

Bring in: White, Molumby, Gyökeres + young GK and a CLASSY winger

Squad would look fine to me, a bit too much deadwood and bad squad balance atm so almost certain there will be more outs than ins. Big question is probably going to be about the midfield & wings where there's some difficult choices to be made..

Clueless

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
First team squad - one or both of Steele and Button to go being replaced by Walton and perhaps Sanchez, Kayal and Schelotto probably won't get another year. I'd keep Duffy, and hope Izquierdo can come back.

Loans - Locadia, Andone, Knockaert and Balogun sold or released. Try to do something with Tau. Everyone else on loan to join first team squad or go out on loan again.

Assuming U21 players will count as anyone born on/after 1 Jan 1999, Lamptey, Connolloy, Molumby, Băluță and Østigård will still be U21.

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019

Indeed. And the clamour to get rid of March and Stephens seems to be based upon an irrational dislike of these 2 on behalf of some fans. March is versatile and still has time to improve, and Stephens plays an important role (not every central midfielder needs to be a playmaker) and should still have a couple of seasons in him. To upgrade on these 2 players would cost say £30m combined and that's just not realistic especially with the increased losses that we'll make this season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Predictable gutting of the entire squad for many posters. Not sure what planet some of you live on.

Last summer only four first team players moved on, the only regular being Knockaert loaned out. Two of the others played fewer than 10 games and the last retired.

The only bit of sense going around is that Duffy may very well get sold, simply because he does not fit the style. Said with a heavy heart but it's noticeable every time he comes on we retreat 20 yards in fear and punt goal kicks instead of playing out.

Since Potter arrived we have lost Bruno & Bong plus Hemed. Also Knockaert, Kayal, Locadia & Andone have been loaned out. during the same time Potter has brought in Lamptey, Trossard, Webster Maupay & Mooy and also promoted MacAllister, Burn, Alzate & Connolly into first team involvement.

With a squad of 26, named on the programme, a turnover of 4/5 players each summer is probably all we can/should expect. I think Potter will look to add competition for GK, LB, RM, LM & ST and also look to promote another 3 or 4 U23's into contention. The likes of Steele, Schelotto, Kayal, Stephens, Duffy may all feel that their game time will be limited with the emergence of some new younger technically able players stepping up and so may try and look elsewhere. For me the biggest indication of our summer plans will be what happens with Knockaert & Andone, if we sign replacements it may signal a bigger upheaval than expected but we may look to utilise them as additions to the squad if we cannot obtain alternative targets this summer

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Interesting that most seem to want to get rid of both of our back-up keepers. Can't see the point in recalling a talent like Walton to sit on the bench all season bar 6-7 cup games.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
1Mathew Ryan (G) - Keep
23Jason Steele (G) - Bye Bye
27David Button (G) - Bye Bye
Let's hop Ryan stays fit!

21Ezequiel Schelotto (D) - Arrivederci
22Martin Montoya (D) - Cheerio
One right back?

19Jose Heriberto Izquierdo (F) - sadly let go
He's in the final year of a 4 year contract, so we have an obligation to continue paying him. And you never know, he may actually come back.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Interesting that most seem to want to get rid of both of our back-up keepers. Can't see the point in recalling a talent like Walton to sit on the bench all season bar 6-7 cup games.

Tricky one really, depends on his contract, at what point will he think "ah i will never get in this squad"
He is more than capable as a back up goalkeeper, it all down really to him, will he be happy going out on loan again or push for that pay day.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Let's hop Ryan stays fit!
We have two very good young keepers coming through.
And sooner or later we will have to trust Walton or we will lose him.

One right back?
That is what the transfer window is for.

He's in the final year of a 4 year contract, so we have an obligation to continue paying him. And you never know, he may actually come back.
I would love him to come back believe me, but I think hes now a busted flush, and my thinking is he knows it aswell, he may wish to come to an agreement with the club, which would free up some cash and a squad place.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Tricky one really, depends on his contract, at what point will he think "ah i will never get in this squad"
He is more than capable as a back up goalkeeper, it all down really to him, will he be happy going out on loan again or push for that pay day.

He's too good to be a back-up keeper. Back up keepers are normally seasoned pros that are happy to sit on the bench for an emergency and take the pay day. Walton would be wasted on the bench and it'd be a backwards step for someone that plays every week at the Championship.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, basing on PF's list, removing anyone who is (seemingly seriously) suggested as leaving or going our on loan, were left with:

1 Mathew Ryan (G)
2 Tariq Lamptey (D)
5 Lewis Dunk (D)
15 Adam Webster (D)
30 Bernardo (D)
33 Dan Burn (D)
53 Warren O'Hora (D)
58 Hayden Roberts (D)
8 Yves Bissouma (M)
10 Alexis Mac Allister (M)
18 Aaron Mooy (M)
45 Taylor Richards (M)
50 Alex Cochrane (M)
55 Peter Gwargis (M)
60 Ryan Longman (M)
71 Jack Spong (M)
72 Teddy Jenks (M)
92 Todd Miller (M)
7 Neal Maupay (F)
46 Steven Alzate (F)
49 Romaric Yapi (F)
Ben White
Jayson Molumby
Other returning Loanies

Personally, I'm confused why so many people want to get rid of Andrew Crofts - he wasn't brought in to be a first team player, he was brought in for our under 23s (21s?).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I totally think we should recall Walton to sit on the bench and provide proper competition for Ryan.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He's too good to be a back-up keeper. Back up keepers are normally seasoned pros that are happy to sit on the bench for an emergency and take the pay day. Walton would be wasted on the bench and it'd be a backwards step for someone that plays every week at the Championship.

I totally understand, my concern is when do you move him into the first team then, I appreciate he would want first team football. It seems you can not win when bringing a young keeper through then.I find it hard to believe a player like Walton would be happy being sent out on loan, since 2015 he has been out to six clubs (one of them Wigan twice). Sooner or later he will think I am not going to get in to the squad and push for a move and a pay day.

genuine question to someone more knowledgeable than myself (not hard)
Is Walton a better prospect than Ryan, and is he now capable of challenging for the shirt each match day ?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not many to be honest.

I'd probably expect Gross, Mooy, Murray, AJ, Stephens, Izquierdo, Schelotto or Montoya to attract interest or leave despite me thinking they've still got a lot to offer but only if we get a replacement in.

Before everyone piles in on Mooy, if we ever see the Mooy pre-permanent signing again, then I'd be very happy but he and Trossard running slowly into a blind alley before slowly turning around and losing the ball is getting a little old already. If we sign some winger's with pace and don't have to keep using Mooy and Gross out there, then we should see the best of both again.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
So, basing on PF's list, removing anyone who is (seemingly seriously) suggested as leaving or going our on loan, were left with:

1 Mathew Ryan (G)
2 Tariq Lamptey (D)
5 Lewis Dunk (D)
15 Adam Webster (D)
30 Bernardo (D)
33 Dan Burn (D)
53 Warren O'Hora (D)
58 Hayden Roberts (D)
8 Yves Bissouma (M)
10 Alexis Mac Allister (M)
18 Aaron Mooy (M)
45 Taylor Richards (M)
50 Alex Cochrane (M)
55 Peter Gwargis (M)
60 Ryan Longman (M)
71 Jack Spong (M)
72 Teddy Jenks (M)
92 Todd Miller (M)
7 Neal Maupay (F)
46 Steven Alzate (F)
49 Romaric Yapi (F)
Ben White
Jayson Molumby
Other returning Loanies

Personally, I'm confused why so many people want to get rid of Andrew Crofts - he wasn't brought in to be a first team player, he was brought in for our under 23s (21s?).

Obviously, I am just a fan and thank the sweet baby jebus not our manager, I don't profess to be the font of all knowledge, but my choices regarding my selections of players to be let go or sold is based on the presumption that we can improve through the transfer market on those players, that will hopefully improve the team and take us to the next level (middle table mediocrity) :lolol:

Regarding the youth and under 23 players in the list, I admit I know very little about them hence I put ?
So I have not said keep or get rid on a fair few of them on the list.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
There is that.

Bit early isn't it ?

Maybe wait until the evening of July 26th ?

It's about the fact we are fighting to retain our Premership status and we don't know what will happen a couple of injuries to key players and we may be relying upon individuals being written off on here, these players are like the rest of us and can be massively affected by what others are thinking and saying

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports